Hook Grip Deadlifts

EricMilfeld

I have just made the switch over to a double overhand hook grip and am in the process of conditioning my thumbs, which, I understand, doesn't take but a couple of weeks normally. I like the symmetry of pulling deadlifts this way. Anyways, who else has made this switch? Did it improve your deadlift?

I've used the hook grip quite a bit but not for deadlifts. I've used it when

practicing olympic lifts for warm-ups.

Remind me when I see you again Eric to demonstrate a stretching movement that will

help you adjust quickly to the hook grip. Cuts the time in half at least.

Once your thumbs adjust to the discomfort the hook grip is superior. Jim Schmitz

told me that when teaches the hook grip to athletes that their #'s go up in movements like the

power snatch, power clean, etc. Often times as high as 40lbs. Pretty significant if you ask me.

BTW, for those that don't know, Jim Schmitz is a retired US Olympic Team Coach 1980, 88, & 92.

He's trained some of the old time greats such as Bruce Willhelm, Ken Patera, Mario Martinez, and

MANY more. This guy has forgot more about weight training than most people will ever know. If you

ever get the chance to talk with Jim do not turn down the opportunity. You'll regret it!

Interesting, Joe. I may have read an article of his on the subject.

On my first workout it took only 455 pounds to make me want to stop for the day. :cry I've done another since, and it already felt less painful.

I have used it in the past up to 485. I have hitch hiker thumbs and it started pulling the nail out from the thumb, so I switched back to opposing. I think Sam Solomi has pulled 300KG with a hook.

First of all I can't dead lift enough to worry about my grip anymore. But I have in the past done short rack pulls with a grand using a hook grip and over 800 within the last couple years with plenty of witnesses.. Believe me the hook should not be what stops your dead lift - I have never felt my hook grip was going to fail with any weight. I never felt balanced with the reverse grip so it was always double overhand with or without a hook. Once when Big Steve came down to work out he pulled I think 795 with just a regular double overhand grip and no hook (rack- not full DL). Stay with the hook a while - I think you'll like it.

Thanks for the input, guys.

So far I do like it. I used it for dumbbell rows the other day, and even though I was never actually dropping the weight without the hook previously, the hook made me considerably stronger in the movement. I guess a less than optimal grip was causing my body to shut down. I can't believe I've been lifting weights since 1982 and never tried this before!

Didn't Bob Peoples use a hook? I know Brad Gillingham does.

Eric, I switched over to hook grip about 6 months ago. Feels good so far. I added weight slow and my thumbs were good.

Bob Peoples lifted with a hook grip and also did some training with hooks attached to his wrist.

Eric, I switched over to hook grip about 6 months ago. Feels good so far. I added weight slow and my thumbs were good.

Bob Peoples lifted with a hook grip and also did some training with hooks attached to his wrist.

Very pleased to hear it's working for you, Dave. Would you say it added weight to your deadlift, whether directly or indirectly?

Yeah, Bob was the man. Quite a pioneer!

Dave. Would you say it added weight to your deadlift, whether directly or indirectly?

Eric, I am still working back up. I switched over as a way to keep Deadlifting after I tore my bicep. I felt stronger Reverse. If you are in your 40's a hook grip is probably a good thing.

The strongest grip possible is the reverse hook grip - it takes a little more ability to rotate the reversed hand though - you never hear about it but I've known a few guys who used it over the years. It's a toss up weather the regular reverse or the hook is stronger I think. Some people have much much better hook or reverse grips than others do. Most people tend to hook too deeply and it messes them up - usually resulting in thumb joint pain. Most people hook because of an inability to rotate the reversed hand without exposing the bicep - and if this is even the slightest issue you should in the long run lift more with the hook due to a lack of inhibitory shutdown. Sure we train ourselves to work through the shut down reflexes but when you think about that - it's not real bright.

Dave, I've never hurt my biceps, but that's not to say it could never happen. I tore a pec when squatting when I was 30, and up to that point had never had pec issues. Looking back, I blame that incident on poor flexibility.

Chris, I've been wondering if a mixed grip hook wouldn't be the ultimate grip, apart from straps. Interesting point about hooking to deeply. I will have to watch for that.