Quest Towards A 500# Total Weighted Dip @ 170# Bw

naturalstrength

I know I am good tomorrow for 405# total, as this was filmed after heavy tricep/shoulder routine towards the end of my workout, but I will be using this thread to log my progress towards the 500# total weighted dip, a goal of mine for some time, but just got sidetracked before.

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/In3BacVmXM0

Carl, sounds like a monster goal man - I have no doubt you'll hit it! I tried to watch the video but it said it had been removed.

Carl, sounds like a monster goal man - I have no doubt you'll hit it! I tried to watch the video but it said it had been removed.

Carl -

Yeah - I went to look at it too and hit the same dead end.

Anyway, good luck with this - that's pretty big time in my book . . . unless someone starts to a dip shirt (well, maybe a bench shirt boosts dips, too?)

Carl -

Yeah - I went to look at it too and hit the same dead end.

Anyway, good luck with this - that's pretty big time in my book . . . unless someone starts to a dip shirt (well, maybe a bench shirt boosts dips, too?)

Hahah...no dip shirts I promise :D

The link should be up now..sorry about that

The rep with 3 plates, which you made look EASY, seemed to me to be the last "legit" rep. Not trying to be a hater, just constructive criticism. The reps with 4 plates and with 4+ a 25# plate seemed a tad high from this angle. Maybe they weren't?? Maybe I can suggest placing the camera from the side view and higher so depth is clear? Just a suggestion of course. I can barely dip myself with no weight so huge props to you, monster strength! :-) I like your videos very much.

The rep with 3 plates, which you made look EASY, seemed to me to be the last "legit" rep. Not trying to be a hater, just constructive criticism. The reps with 4 plates and with 4+ a 25# plate seemed a tad high from this angle. Maybe they weren't?? Maybe I can suggest placing the camera from the side view and higher so depth is clear? Just a suggestion of course. I can barely dip myself with no weight so huge props to you, monster strength! :-) I like your videos very much.

Arturo,

Thanks for the input. I am no expert in fitness, but IMO a properly executed dip performed on parallel bars in elbows bent to 90 degrees relative to forearms. Sure, I can dip down "all the way down" until my chin hits the floor, but IMO that is just placing the body in an unnatural position and just asking to blow out a pec/shoulder. In the strength game, when it comes to "proper" ROM, we all know the waters are muddy. Powerlifters dont ATG on max Squats, max gripper closes are not usually TNS, but rather MMS/block set, etc. Do you see my point??

Because this isn't for an official "record", but just for my own physical journey, my efforts will be based on a ROM 90 degrees elbows relative to forearm. IMO this is a "proper" ROM for max effort weighted dips, no different than a CCS #4! It still counts for certification but it's not a TNS by any means!

Ps. The gripper analogy is not meant to stir the pit, just an analogy

Arturo,

Thanks for the input. I am no expert in fitness, but IMO a properly executed dip performed on parallel bars in elbows bent to 90 degrees relative to forearms. Sure, I can dip down "all the way down" until my chin hits the floor, but IMO that is just placing the body in an unnatural position and just asking to blow out a pec/shoulder. In the strength game, when it comes to "proper" ROM, we all know the waters are muddy. Powerlifters dont ATG on max Squats, max gripper closes are not usually TNS, but rather MMS/block set, etc. Do you see my point??

Because this isn't for an official "record", but just for my own physical journey, my efforts will be based on a ROM 90 degrees elbows relative to forearm. IMO this is a "proper" ROM for max effort weighted dips, no different than a CCS #4! It still counts for certification but it's not a TNS by any means!

Carl -

I was really stoked when I first hit your thread but also thought the dips were looking a little shallow as the weight went up, but I'd also be the first to say that stuff on cameras can always look different than in person.

Guys here probably know that I am not a big fan of chopping down the ROM on grippers and calling it a close—I often use lifting analogies to explain how the weights go up when the ROM goes does down, and unfortunately, this video makes it look like that's exactly what you are demonstrating on dips, so I'm all for you doing another video that clearly shows you are really sinking the putt because I'm with Arturo that your early sets look really strong.

Here's to your 500!

Arturo,

Carl -

I was really stoked when I first hit your thread but also thought the dips were looking a little shallow as the weight went up, but I'd also be the first to say that stuff on cameras can always look different than in person.

Guys here probably know that I am not a big fan of chopping down the ROM on grippers and calling it a close—I often use lifting analogies to explain how the weights go up when the ROM goes does down, and unfortunately, this video makes it look like that's exactly what you are demonstrating on dips, so I'm all for you doing another video that clearly shows you are really sinking the putt because I'm with Arturo that your early sets look really strong.

Here's to your 500!

Looking back at the video, the 375# was a bit iffy, but once again this was filmed at the end of my workout, which included barbell push-press with 225# for 5x10, Squats, etc.

In my heyday I could get 6 plates for 3-4 easy reps deep. I will work my best to reach this goal. Maybe my age, injuries, etc may prevent me from achieving this goal, but at this stage all I can do is try-Lol

Carl: I totally get your point and I actually agree with you! I should have made clear that it seemed to me (I could be wrong, camera angle was not the best) that in your last 2 reps, you were "Above Parallel". I'm not asking that you dip all the way down so that your deltoids touch the bar or your hands! I know you were aiming to hit just "parallel" (or 90 degrees if you wanna call it that), but it just seemed to me you were a tad higher in those two? Hence my suggestion of placing the camera to the Side. I guess it could be behind you, but at elbow height at least?

So just clearing up: I never hinted that you should dip as low as possible :) But check your video, and compare how low it seems you on lighter weights, then on the last rep, and you will see a difference. Believe me I'm not a nay-sayer, I absolutely love your videos, including pull-ups grabbing mops (if that's what they're called).

EDIT: Sorry I just saw you had replied! :) You can dismiss this msg then :)

Edited by Arturo

Arturo,

Carl -

Here's to your 500!

Looking back at the video, the 375# was a bit iffy, but once again this was filmed at the end of my workout, which included barbell push-press with 225# for 5x10, Squats, etc.

In my heyday I could get 6 plates for 3-4 easy reps deep. I will work my best to reach this goal. Maybe my age, injuries, etc may prevent me from achieving this goal, but at this stage all I can do is try-Lol

Good luck—it's an impressive goal.

I'd bet you will do it, and breaking parallel, too.

Cool videos! I wish I could still dip heavy but it's just not in these shoulders anymore. Good luck Sir!

Cool videos! I wish I could still dip heavy but it's just not in these shoulders anymore. Good luck Sir!

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Haven't done much since Sunday's training. The plan at this point is hopefully attack my max PR fresh on Friday or Saturday. I will aim for a light warmup and then a target of 405#. If that goes well, maybe try an additional 10-15 pounds. I will dip slightly past parallel and try to find my try max PR, from there the real work and strategy will begin.

I was fumbling through my YouTube channel and stumbled across this old video from about 2 years ago. I was about 5-10 pounds heavier at that point, so this is ~405# total weighted dip.

Not alot to report since last journal entry. My workout are only 1-2 times per week at the gym. Yesterday hit ATG Squats, and some OH presses. Hit #400 pounds on the weighted dips, felt relatively easy, so I will video my next attempt probably end of week.

Today some active recovery exercises with horseshoe isometrics on an AB #6 Draft Horseshoe. Haven't hit the horseshoes in ages, so I am very pleased to have moved this one to 155 degrees. It froze there, so I worked some triceps crushdown isos for about 30 minutes.

Hit 135# barbell turkish get-up at the end, but was fried at that stage. I will also start a log because I would like to hit a barbell TGU 185# long term. I think I can hit 145# fresh, but for now the weighted dips are priority one for the moment.

-Carl

I did 272 for 10 once. But that's when I weighed 272. :grin:

This is an awesome goal brother! I can't wait to see you kill it! :bow

Strong Work Carl - Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Last 10 days or so have been shite training wise. Busy at work, no sleep, bout of gastroenteritis(fun times), and some injuries have been keeping me at bay. Plan: refocus and regroup. The goal will be reached, I just have to prioritize and get back on track. Happy new year to all!

-Carl

Last 10 days or so have been shite training wise. Busy at work, no sleep, bout of gastroenteritis(fun times), and some injuries have been keeping me at bay. Plan: refocus and regroup. The goal will be reached, I just have to prioritize and get back on track. Happy new year to all!

-Carl

Feel better buddy! Big things in 2012!