Ironmind - Viking Vise Grip Challenge, La Fitexpo

andurniat

No, actually Odd disqualified those "side" lifts. He also did this on the IM hub when some of the contestants placed the hub in a complete vertical position to make the lift.

Was it a "anything goes" type of contest as far as lifting the implements? Side blob lifting was a new one I have not seen before.

It was not an anything goes contest. There were some questionable lifts, but they were either repeated or not counted by the judge. Regardless, the strongest hands that day won.

Felix's side blobbing may not be traditional but just go ahead and try it if you think it's easy. I think he can do it because of the enormous leverage he gets out of his E.T. fingers.

Andrew pulling 300# on the 2" vbar, as part of medley, and to that height, was easily the most impressive things in both vids. Unreal!

Mike told me Sunday morning that him and Shaw are both cleaning the Inch but can't clean and press it yet.

Surely if Shaw can clean the inch he could press it? I seem to remember he did well over 100kg in the dumbell press event at the WSM heats.

Felix's side blobbing may not be traditional but just go ahead and try it if you think it's easy. I think he can do it because of the enormous leverage he gets out of his E.T. fingers.

Andrew pulling 300# on the 2" vbar, as part of medley, and to that height, was easily the most impressive things in both vids. Unreal!

What vids?

Mike told me Sunday morning that him and Shaw are both cleaning the Inch but can't clean and press it yet.

Surely if Shaw can clean the inch he could press it? I seem to remember he did well over 100kg in the dumbell press event at the WSM heats.

Agreed. I think it has to do with how he is catching it on top - probably not getting turned over good enough to press - "just" a high pull to head level.

What vids?

Post #19 in this thread

Congrats guys! Is there a more detailed list of numbers/weights? I've only seen a list of points.

I have a question about the weight on the RT.This video clearly stated in the credits that Felix and Burke failed their attempts in 271pound, and Andrew took a weight of 260pounds.At the same time on the website clearly states that Ironmind, Burke and Felix did not take 282 pounds, and took 271 pounds.So where is the error?

http://ironmind.com/..._Challenge.html

Edited by Kashtan

I have a question about the weight on the RT.This video clearly stated in the credits that Felix and Burke failed their attempts in 271pound, and Andrew took a weight of 260pounds.At the same time on the website clearly states that Ironmind, Burke and Felix did not take 282 pounds, and took 271 pounds.So where is the error?

Not sure where it says that in the credits, I just listed the weight on the attempt. Both made 271 and missed at 282.

Not sure where it says that in the credits, I just listed the weight on the attempt. Both made 271 and missed at 282.

Andrew, and you made 271 pounds?

No one said it was easy. Rules are rules during a contest and I was literally wondering if it was "anything goes" for how the lifts were done.

I guess "you snooze you lose" when it comes to editing these days, as I see that I don't have permission to edit my own post. Let's see if I can try again. Rolling Thunder numbers:

1. Michael Burke 123kg

1. Mark Felix 123

3. Andrew Durniat 118

4. Odd Haugen 113

5. Vince Urbank 108

5. Josh Thigpen 108

7. Steve Schmidt 103

8. Jerry Pritchett 98

9. Jon Eklund 93

10. Daniel Reinard 78

Technically, the competition was in kilograms, and you can see that the increments were mostly 5 kg for each increase. The opening lift of 78kg (172 lbs) was mandatory for all.

The person with the most legal lifts was M Burke, as he did not pass as much as some others, having 7 legal lifts, and one failed lift. That is a lot of attempts for a Rolling Thunder competition.

The only notes that I made were after Michael Burke's 103 kg/ 227 lb lift, where I notated "easy". I guess seeing someone who I had never heard of pull 227 easier than the other 5 guys at that level impressed me!

There has never been an ability to edit posts beyond a certain time. :) The thought being someone needs to be sure they *really* want to post something because once they do after a certain time it "sticks". ;)

Andrew, and you made 271 pounds?

No, 271 just wobbled a little for me

Sorry Bill, I didn't mean any offense by it. I'm not sure how they did this medley but in the ones I've competed in the medley rules do seem to be quite a bit looser than the rest of the contests (eg almost everyone tilts/braces the thickbar stuff)

If Mark Felix hands are really that much bigger than even the "big handed guys", I'm a bit disappointed he's not way ahead of the other top competitors. I mean, in terms of overall strength, well he's a WSM competitor.... in terms of handsize, well he's "got E.T. fingers".... how long are those hands really? For those who have seen him up close, what fingers can he touch with his thumb around the RT? Or put another way maybe: can he hook it, the RT?

I am in no way knoking the man down as he's one of the world's strongest men! Just a thought.

Felix's hands... are every bit as large as they are rumored to be. In his Youtube video where he is struggling to close the CoC #3 because his hands are too big, he states they are 10 1/2 inches long.

For Mark's "Silver Bullet for time" event", I called "time" before the weight slipped out, because I swear I saw that the flesh around the Silver Bullet was holding it up and there was a gap between the gripper and the implement. Check out the photo on IronMind's "news" and you will see what I am talking about - - my hand is out calling time just as the device is dropping. My reaction time at Age 57 would have to be faster than Usain Bolt's coming-out-of-blocks speed if I called time when I saw it leaving (and I guarantee that is not the case). Randy had a series of photos that he analyzed and believed me after reviewing them.

Felix's hold time was 43.25 seconds, and Andrew's was 33.49 seconds. I had discussed this with Andrew via email. Randy thinks the maximum that his hand would have been aided was between 1 and 2 seconds. After watching the video on this thread, I tend to agree with him, and perhaps it was less.

As most of us know from doing negatives, once the hand opens up, it really opens up. I am confident that Felix still won this event by a large margin. Even though his crushing grip is not the level of Andrew's, it probably was not second to anyone else's that day. And the size of the hand does help in a hold where the gripper is not closed all the way, which is how the event worked.

Both Haugen and Randy had their ideas on how to mitigate that in the future. It sounded like guys with hands like Felix (and Magnus S is one of the few in the Gripper World that has them) are going to have some kind of different setting to avoid problems or prove the device is being held up by the handles. I guess for Magnus' certifications, they had to hear the gripper handles grinding, as the handles were obscured.

Everyone thinks in the last second his pinky was holding up the thing. No, I think it was his fleshy palm, which is why I waved to the stopwatch guy to stop before he dropped it.

I don't want to get into Mark's advantages or strength level with grip stuff, but that photo Randy has on the IM website with the gripper in his hand is one of my favorite stills of a gripper event. Those hands are something else...

Edited by Hubgeezer

I have one more question, this time on the axle all the athletes in top trio showed excellent results a RT. Last year,Felix easily took118 kg on the RT and 220kg per axle.This year,none of 220 kg at Axle not picked up.Why? I think the fact that (in the video it shows) that the discs were pressed very tightly,and they rotate with the axis, so athletes had to deal with the extra torque, similar to that which occurs in Inch dumbbell, Monster Sorinex and similar barbells at lift of them.

Edited by Kashtan

I have one more question, this time on the axle all the athletes in top trio showed excellent results a RT. Last year,Felix easily took118 kg on the RT and 220kg per axle.This year,none of 220 kg at Axle not picked up.Why? I think the fact that (in the video it shows) that the discs were pressed very tightly,and they rotate with the axis, so athletes had to deal with the extra torque, similar to that which occurs in Inch dumbbell, Monster Sorinex and similar barbells at lift of them.

Many more attempts were taken on our way to the top weight this year, in both RT and Axle, which I'm sure led to fatigue.

Many more attempts were taken on our way to the top weight this year, in both RT and Axle, which I'm sure led to fatigue.

Thank you Andrew that dispelled my doubts.

Is there a video of the top Rolling thunder lift I saw in Andrew' video no "sucessful" lift at 271 by anyone. A link to a "good look" at the new record? anyone? Who were the judges for the Thunder and axle event?