#3.5 Parallel Set Down To 3/8" And 1/4"

Jordan Rechsteiner

Well earlier I posted that I didn't make many PRs today. I was so unsatisfied with my workout that I went out and worked on the yard for a while and cleared some bushes and then it was just burning me up so I went back in and filmed a #3.5 MMS closed on a 3/8" block of wood and followed that up with another parallel set close on the 1/4" 60D penny nail that I bent into a "U" shape on my first ever attempt at bending. The 3/8" close is pretty solid-I can actually see some knurling marks in the wood, but the 1/4" close is was just barely for a moment. Nevertheless, both were made at the end of a challenging day. This puts me back on the mark for doing a parallel close with the #3.5 either Saturday or next Tuesday. It would be awesome if I could do it in front Paul Knight and Eric Milfeld. icon_thumleft.gif

Today taught me not to let something like a little frustration rob me of achieving my goals. This puts me well on track for a CCS video on Christmas Day of my #3.5. Those of you who don't know, I closed the #3 with a CCS on November 6th and I am going to close the #3.5 with a CCS on Christmas which to my knowledge is the fastest progression ever! On January 28th I plan on certifying the CoC #3 and #3.5 in the same day at Paul Knight's tournament and I may decide to certify before this time. Prior to this workout the best I was able to do from parallel was 9/16".

-Jordan

Good to see you here Jordan. Its Cesare from the ironmind forum. You should sign up for the MM1. The mash monster certification process will be nice motivation for you and help you progress towards your goal of the #4. Since I have trained for them, my gripper strength has sky rocketed.

Good to see you here Jordan. Its Cesare from the ironmind forum. You should sign up for the MM1. The mash monster certification process will be nice motivation for you and help you progress towards your goal of the #4. Since I have trained for them, my gripper strength has sky rocketed.

Hey Cesare. Good to see a familiar face. I am new to the gripboard so I don't yet know many people here. Yes, Paul Knight thinks I should do the MM1 and MM2. Once I get the #3.5 down to a parallel close which should be next week I think I should be ready for a MM3 or MM4 perhaps. I will need to get more consistant first though. Since I am much stronger at the finish and weak at the CCS, doing parallel set closes will help my mid-sweep which is fairly medium in my game. With some work I think I could close the #4 at parallel around March which would be epic!

-Jordan

Jordan, good to see you here man! Great work on that #3.5 too. The set you used was pretty wide. Makes getting it to 1/4" more impressive. You are a terrible setter :grin: - just like I was - which isn't meant as a low blow by the way. Almost a compliment because you had to crush the damn handles even further than if you had set them to parallel.

Jordan, good to see you here man! Great work on that #3.5 too. The set you used was pretty wide. Makes getting it to 1/4" more impressive. You are a terrible setter :grin: - just like I was - which isn't meant as a low blow by the way. Almost a compliment because you had to crush the damn handles even further than if you had set them to parallel.

Oh Ben, I am a terrible setter. That is as "Deep" a set as I can do. LMAO ha ha ha. I have a very weak thumb and "the wall" on my hand is too far back to really help anchor my handle. The set is something I am going to have to reinvent if I want to close the #4. Eric Milfeld has gottem me liking the two handed pinch and I can only barely lift 155. I know pathetic right? Well its my starting point anyway. Ha ha yes, I totally take that as a compliment Ben. I mean look where that back handle is in my hand after the set! It could stand to come forward about an inch! Hey, how is your training coming these days?

-Jordan

Edited by Jordan Rechsteiner