Need Litle Help About Negatives Closes

Rampage jackson

Hi everone when im close the hardet gripper i have i do negatives i mean both hands close and hold the gripper close my question i need to do this to failure

or 5-10 sec its enough??

Are you training to close the gripper or to get better at having a gripper open your hand? I would focus on grippers that you could close or get a plate loaded grip machine.

hellswindstaff i ask my question little diffrently i do overcrush and can hold my hardest gripper for 1 min close So what more effective hold close for 1 min or 10 sec ??

* If you can keep it closed longer than 10 secs, I would suggest getting a harder gripper;

* also negatives should be done as I always understood with a gripper harder than your goalgripper, but just a little bit harder;

* Filing one of the handles can be an option (dogleg);

* A gripmachine can be beneficial although you have to work with one for a longer period of time and definitely work with a plan.

I didn't get the best results with negatives but I think I did them to often (as in every workout) and to heavy. If you can barely close your #3 I personally see no benefit in doing negatives with a IM#4. Get a gripper rated at 3.* instead. My two cents.

Edited by Geralt

So are you saying that you don't need a plan with the grippers? Negatives are associated with injuries and hurting joints, translating into soft tissue injuries... sounds like success to me. Grip machines will allow you to work with exact one rep maxes... sounds better and more proficient to me.

So are you saying that you don't need a plan with the grippers? Negatives are associated with injuries and hurting joints, translating into soft tissue injuries... sounds like success to me. Grip machines will allow you to work with exact one rep maxes... sounds better and more proficient to me.

Excellent points!

This is why you rarely see anyone using a negative type apparatus (Secret Weapon) very long.

There's rarely an instance where you need negative work for grip. Adding ballistic type training will do TONS

more for ones progress according to my testing and research. With the small muscles of the hands you're not

getting more motor unit recruitment as in larger muscle groups such as the quads, hams, and glutes but what

you do get is more frequency of activation which in turn yields more force (force = mass x acceleration).

I did a video on this last week but I have not had a chance to download it to my You Tube channel yet.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Excellent points!

This is why you rarely see anyone using a negative type apparatus (Secret Weapon) very long.

There's rarely an instance where you need negative work for grip. Adding ballistic type training will do TONS

more for ones progress according to my testing and research. With the small muscles of the hands you're not

getting more motor unit recruitment as in larger muscle groups such as the quads, hams, and glutes but what

you do get is more frequency of activation which in turn yields more force (force = mass x acceleration).

I did a video on this last week but I have not had a chance to download it to my You Tube channel yet.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Hm hm. Sounds logical. BTW I didn't mean that you don't need to have a plan when training grippers, in fact, it's quite the opposite!

Grip in general should be trained with a plan, or you are just a natural and get progress.

I'm currently in the middle of Tim Struse's method with training which involves dynamic effort, frequency and not working every time on max attempts, just greasing the groove. Cool stuff oh and Mighty Joe's topic: mental focus. Can't say that much but I'm feeling that it's doing me good already.

I'm training since 2008 my grip, and I always tried to train to much and excel every session and max out. For me that doesn't work. Cost me a few years, since

it's now almost 2012, and I'm still struggling to get that last bit on the CCS close of my #3. I know with this method, I could have reached that goal much more earlier. Negatives can have their place but are to be used on a very low frequency in my opinion. The same for me as max efforts EVERY day. my hands would just fall of and get injured. In that matter, KTA isn't my thing, but the techniques described in there a very good to use. just sparingly in my case.

I didn't say to max out every session. Would you attempt to hit a max effort squat every session? I mean percentages of your one rep max... so submaximal weights. Also the Secret Weapon isn't a bad machine... I just focusing on closing the damn thing, not letting it open my hand. I actually take the negative out of the movement.