5 10s Plate Pinch Difficulty

thehammer

I guess that depends on the person. I can close a 3 but can't pinch 5 dimes so I think the pinch is more impressive. I doubt you'd find many (if any) people who would say pinching 5 dimes isn't an impressive feat...IMO

How much of an accomplishment is it to pinch 5 tens with one hand? Is it comparable to say closing a number 3? or not quite that good

I've also never managed the 5x10s, but closed a #3 and higher. I think 5x10s is easier with a big hand and is plate-dependent as well. Having thin 10s that fit together nice really helps.

• Like 1

I think pinching 5 dimes is comparable to closing a number 3 with a credit card set.

:erm

Eh, there probably is not a way to make a comparison like that. You mean in terms of difficulty?

I think pinching 5 dimes is comparable to closing a number 3 with a credit card set.

Eh, there probably is not a way to make a comparison like that. You mean in terms of difficulty?

both need hands at least a little bit big i'd guess.

5 dimes is not that impressive a feat imo. Sorry guys. I've been able to do it with no training, was one of my first feats, and I had a friend with zero training 160# BW do it first try. I've yet to see a first try #3 close let alone a CCS close. Actually I've never seen a #3 closed by anyone else outside of a grip contest. The feat is just really plate dependant which makes it really hard to judge, and it's really hand size dependant similar to a blob. I'd compare it to a #2 close from parallel since at that same time I did a #2 and both the gripper and 5 dimes pinch were my baselines with no training.

Yes but plates vary all over the place, and that's the biggest factor for the feat. Give anyone a sweet set of 5 dimes and I'll best most decent grip guys get it.

Hubbing a 45# plate is similar. Give someone the right one and most can get it. What's impressive is when someone can pinch 5 dimes or hub a 45 no matter what they are. Doing a single feat on one highly variable setup is nice, but mastering the feat to do it when promped is the goal everyone should have.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

5 dimes is a easy feat if the plates fit together good.

5 dimes is not that impressive a feat imo. Sorry guys. I've been able to do it with no training, was one of my first feats, and I had a friend with zero training 160# BW do it first try. I've yet to see a first try #3 close let alone a CCS close. Actually I've never seen a #3 closed by anyone else outside of a grip contest. The feat is just really plate dependant which makes it really hard to judge, and it's really hand size dependant similar to a blob. I'd compare it to a #2 close from parallel since at that same time I did a #2 and both the gripper and 5 dimes pinch were my baselines with no training.

Yes but plates vary all over the place, and that's the biggest factor for the feat. Give anyone a sweet set of 5 dimes and I'll best most decent grip guys get it.

Hubbing a 45# plate is similar. Give someone the right one and most can get it. What's impressive is when someone can pinch 5 dimes or hub a 45 no matter what they are. Doing a single feat on one highly variable setup is nice, but mastering the feat to do it when promped is the goal everyone should have.

Yeah, but you also lifted a blob without training for it...

Yeah, but you also lifted a blob without training for it...

+1

Different people are going to give different answers. Some people are more gifted in one aspect of strength than in another. Some people are just more gifted in strength in general. If you ask someone like Andy Bolton or Konstantinovs how difficult a 500 pound or 600 pound deadlift is in difficulty, they may say something like "Well I did it first time without training so it's not very hard."

How much of an accomplishment is it to pinch 5 tens with one hand? Is it comparable to say closing a number 3? or not quite that good

Although a #3 is not just a #3 either (as in they vary) a plate pinch like that totally depends on the plates, and hand size. The only time iv'e ever done or tried to pinch 5 10's (well 11's for me as 5kg) was the one time i had the plates with Laine Snook. They were wet and it still was very easy, however i could not budge 6 even after drying them, i didn't feel it was a strength issue. Laine of course did 6 like nothing with his monster mitts. From that day i would say for me it couldnt be harder than no setting a #3, but if you have smaller hands that could make it tough.

In my opinion pinching 5 tens and closing a #3 gripper are diffrent things.Crush vs pinch diffrent training i can close a #3 gripper but i cannot pinch 5 tens.

Something else that can add to the difficulty of pinching 5-10s is the sharpness of the plates. When I was training to pinch 5-10s, I lost skin from the inside of my fingers and thumbs because the plates I was using were very sharp. I probably would have accomplished the feat much sooner if my plates had rounded edges.

ok so all different opinions. some say pretty impressive some very. somebody thinks it's not good at all. I'm going to Jay Leno and see

what Ed Asner thinks.

So what kind of plates are you guys using to pinch 5 dimes with? I just looked at mine, not sure what brand they are, but they measure 4 3/8 inches total thickness and have a fairly slick semi-gloss finnish.

• 2 years later...

I guess that depends on the person. I can close a 3 but can't pinch 5 dimes so I think the pinch is more impressive. I doubt you'd find many (if any) people who would say pinching 5 dimes isn't an impressive feat...IMO

I think pinching 5 dimes is very easy and is NOT a feat.

• Like 1

Jedd siad he was lifting the blob before getting the 5 dimes. I think it depends alot on the plates, but there is no way it's an easy feat.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

Feats like this could be seen as impressive, or no big deal - I think it all depends on the size of the persons hand doing them. Tall guys with long thumbs and fingers aren't going to have a hard time with them because they are getting good leverage on five 10's, a blob or anything else that requires a wide pinch.

When it comes to grip strength and grip feats, I adhere to: one mans unimpressive feat is another mans two year goal.

• Like 1

I think that the ultimate test of grip strength are grippers;

this may sound silly told by myself cause i am so strong on grippers but really thick bars and pinch are greatly dependent on hand size,this is a fact that cannot be disputed.

Most experienced grip guys would probably disagree with that statement. The Euro pinch set up, for example, is independent of hand size as you can pick your ideal width. For functional grip strength, grippers are at the bottom imo.

this may sound silly told by myself cause i am so strong on grippers but really thick bars and pinch are greatly dependent on hand size,this is a fact that cannot be disputed.

• Like 1

Most experienced grip guys would probably disagree with that statement. The Euro pinch set up, for example, is independent of hand size as you can pick your ideal width. For functional grip strength, grippers are at the bottom imo.

Doing grippers my grip strength is increased immensely and i can assure you that i am plenty of functional hand strength.

I know one thing:some big guys can lift the blob or the inch easily but their hands can literally be ripped by the pressure needed to close a #4.

To me holle closing the ghp 9 is by far the greatest "grip" feat of all time;talking about feat of strength the stuff made by gazza is as much great.

Other feats can be accomplished by many big guys without any specific training.

Doing grippers my grip strength is increased immensely and i can assure you that i am plenty of functional hand strength.

I know one thing:some big guys can lift the blob or the inch easily but their hands can literally be ripped by the pressure needed to close a #4.

To me holle closing the ghp 9 is by far the greatest "grip" feat of all time;talking about feat of strength the stuff made by gazza is as much great.

I agree kind of yet still think overall testing all areas is best. I think body size is taken out for grippers more then other events, speaking from experience being a bigger guy where I have seen an advantage in other areas just due to my size.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

I agree kind of yet still think overall testing all areas is best. I think body size is taken out for grippers more then other events, speaking from experience being a bigger guy where I have seen an advantage in other areas just due to my size.

Of course you are right on training all areas of grip but i am a lot more impressed by your crazy reverse bends than your rt stuff(very impressive too lol).

I guess you could tell by all the replies so far that there is no possible way to definitively compare two different feats. I always find it helpful to "stay within myself" and not constantly try and compare what I'm doing with anyone else.

If you can't currently pinch 5 tens and then 2 months from now you get it, then I say hell yeah, that's quite an accomplishment because you earned it!

• Like 3