Amazing...

Bill Piche

He couldn't touch the bar hardly with over 850lbs! Talk about shirt support! blink.gif

This guy is definitely really strong but I hate bench shirts. It should be just man vs. the weight.

Yeah Mark Bell has done more for the sport than I can even imagine, but his most recent comp videos are a bit :whacked for me. No pausing for squat commands or letting the bar settle, questionable depth, deadlifts not locked out, bench hand offs 3 inches from lockout...

I don't understand why people do this--not one lift from this video looks to be clearly comp legal.

I don't even really mind the use of gear in principle, but stuff like this and the 12, 1300 pound squats are kind of absurd.

Reminds me of a really good quote from Rex:

I honestly don't understand the appeal of geared lifting.

You and 99% of the strength community.

Suits and wraps and briefs and all that are really just doing the same thing as reverse bands. They're just on the lifter's body instead of separate from it. The next development in geared lifting, as I see it, will involve reverse bands in addition to suits, wraps, and briefs. Men will brag about squatting 1500 pounds in the Green Band Division, and they will argue over whether a man who squats 1300 in the Purple Band Division is stronger than the man who squats 1800 in the Black Band Division.

Sure doesn't appeal to me. When I lift it's just me and the iron (or grippers!). While my best bench of 415 is a mere shadow compared to what this fellow did, I feel good knowing it was my best and nothing assisted me in doing so. Oh well, different strokes, you know.

Tom

I have mixed feelings about shirt benching. I do respect shirt benchers because there is a lot of technique involved in getting the proper groove. So it is hard work in a certain way. I do not think the way technology has taken over with the shirts giving the guys 200 pounds and more over there raw bench, example a 400 pound raw bencher benching 600 with a shirt. Some federations like the USAPL and the ADFPF make the lifters have there feet flat on the floor and will not allow the lifter to touch below a certain point on there chest, which seems a bit more fair. I myself used to use a shirt but I had a 100 dollar Inzer shirt and I only got about 30 pounds out of it. I think it is quite a pain in the butt getting the shirt on and I will stick with raw benching.

I was just shocked he could not touch the bar with that much weight on it! blink.gif

I think all the gear is the main reason why powerlifting languishes in obscurity.

I think I'm going to buy one of those shirts - what a great way to develop my back muscles :yikes

sooo... was he actually pulling the weight down for the last inch or so?? geared lifting is pretty dumb imo

Yes. That's why a staple accessory of any shirted bencher should be T-bar rows.