Fingertip Strengthening

hellswindstaff

I didn't think getting to a one arm was that bad. When I first did one each arm I was about 26 or so for normal reps. And weight wise was maybe 100# for one or 2 reps. I think the key was training offset pullups or pullups where you were in position for the one arm but you slightly helped pull up with the other arm. Using only one finger really helps because you can't load it too much so your one arm has to really try and take the full load.

As far as fingertip training goes I did a lot of fingerboard or hangboard work for climbing. That stresses the tendons a ton and really stiffens them up so you can apply max power down to the fingertip. Look up hangboards for climbing. A good one can be found at Sports Chalet or the likes. You do have to be careful though as the stress can be rediculous on the tendons so only train once every 2-3 days and no big finger stresses in between either. And no need to work until failure. Tendon strengthening is much different than muscles. It only takes a solid 10-15 minutes of pullups and hangs on the hangboard every few days and you'll notice you the difference. The best part is you can practice one arm pullups at the exact same time as the finger strengthening! I did. BTW, I think strong tendons really help on wide pinches like blob lifts by the face.

So, How old are you now?Ligament&tendons strengthen is key!

I meant 26 reps or so. I might have been 26 yrs at the time too.

Aww ok! I'm 37 been into fitness for over 22 years now!

• 5 months later...

I am think for finger strength one could do heavy one finger lifts like the one below but you have to be smart about it or risk injury.

hopefully i can help here.. a lot of folks ask me what i do for my hands to be so hard.. and thanks guys, i take it as a compliment. but i just dont know..

i dont really practice for a callous hand, but when i think about it, i do treat em' pretty bad. lol

so here is a list of things to try.

1. dont wear gloves. ever.

2. work more with your hands. on your car, on your house, lay some concrete, dig some fence post holes all day for a fence, fall a tree, etc. just beat the crap out of em' while you work

3. use alcohol based chemicals to clean your hands. i.e. it will dry them out for that hard feel

4. dont use lotion. ever. no question, its for the ladies.

5. man up, if it hurts, it will grow callous

6. if you want hands like a blue collar guy, your gonna have to work like a blue collar guy.

word?

In response to #4, using lotion can help the most, just depends on the type. Hoofmaker was originally designed for horses to maintain their hooves, so I use the horse lotion, NOT the new stuff for the beauty line from the company. It helps harden the skin on your hands and it's awesome stuff. Used it for years while rock climbing on granite and helped to harden the finger tips and regenerate skin faster.

hopefully i can help here.. a lot of folks ask me what i do for my hands to be so hard.. and thanks guys, i take it as a compliment. but i just dont know..

i dont really practice for a callous hand, but when i think about it, i do treat em' pretty bad. lol

so here is a list of things to try.

1. dont wear gloves. ever.

2. work more with your hands. on your car, on your house, lay some concrete, dig some fence post holes all day for a fence, fall a tree, etc. just beat the crap out of em' while you work

3. use alcohol based chemicals to clean your hands. i.e. it will dry them out for that hard feel

4. dont use lotion. ever. no question, its for the ladies.

5. man up, if it hurts, it will grow callous

6. if you want hands like a blue collar guy, your gonna have to work like a blue collar guy.

word?

In response to #4, using lotion can help the most, just depends on the type. Hoofmaker was originally designed for horses to maintain their hooves, so I use the horse lotion, NOT the new stuff for the beauty line from the company. It helps harden the skin on your hands and it's awesome stuff. Used it for years while rock climbing on granite and helped to harden the finger tips and regenerate skin faster.

nice! was that the same stuff joe kinney used?

I'm not sure what he used, but in the circle of climbing friends that I have (stopped climbing a few years ago), we all used it during heavy training cycles or long trips to help heal thinned skin. I bought it from a farm supply back home in Illinois. I think it was pretty cheap. Just make sure its the equine stuff, not the new fancy crap for people.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16233

That doesn't really strengthen the fingertip though.

You are right, I should have read the topic better to understand it was just finger tips everyone was responding about. Sorry

Joe Kenny used a liniment for racing horses because he said that his joints hurt all the time and "felt like they were in a bind". If you're pushing yourself so far beyond the current limitations of your body that you are getting constant pain then you're just asking for permanent damage and no amount of contrast bathing, medicine, liniment, or rest will cure that.

However, I have a couple of bottles of it and it works fairly well... the brand is Absorbine.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Kenny used a liniment for racing horses because he said that his joints hurt all the time and "felt like they were in a bind". If you're pushing yourself so far beyond the current limitations of your body that you are getting constant pain then you're just asking for permanent damage and no amount of contrast bathing, medicine, liniment, or rest will cure that.

However, I have a couple of bottles of it and it works fairly well... the brand is Absorbine.

EXCELLENT response here!!!

All newbies and even veterans not in the know should memorize the above.

• Like 2