Feats/gripboard Records Forum

Bill Piche

Here is the updated list of proposed feats for the Cyberpump GripList:

CoC: Trainer, #1, #2, #3 (photo), #4 (photo)

Pinch 2 45 lb plates (photo)

Deadlift 50lb Blob (photo)

Lift Inch Dumbbell off ground (photo)

Deadlift Inch Dumbbell (photo)

Platecurl (list best, establish "X" level (photo))

Bend 60 penny nail

Tear Deck of Cards

Tear Phone Book (list best, establish "X" level (photo))

Ivanko Supergripper (list best, establish "X" level (photo))

Rolling Thunder (list best, establish "X" level (photo))

Hub lift

IM Pinch block

Loadable Inch Dumbbell

IM Hub

G-Rex

Anvil

Wrist Rolling Supported

Wrist Rolling Unsupported

Thickbar Deadlift

Rafter Chinups

I would vote to veto the unsupported Wrist Rolling, since grip strength isn't a point of failure in this lift. We may also want to define a minimum height, or height standard in comparison to body height for the supported Wrist Rolling.

Do we want to further define Thickbar deadlifts by defining different size thickbars? Do we want to include a Fairbar category? I would vote yes, I just am not sure that there will be enough participation.

Anvil would simply be by the horn, with the weight of the anvil listed.

As far as other feats, we could add them as they come in. Grip must be the primary force involved in these feats, also defined as the primary point of failure. IMO, lifting large stones would not be a grip lift.

Alan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• mobsterone

• AnimalCage

• OldGuy

Alan,

Good point. The unsupported wrist roller should not

receive support for inclusion, for the reason you stated.

Fairbar (no bias here :D ) should be included because

for a great number of people Fairbar and the Inch replica

will be the same size.

Perhaps also, only chalk should be allowed for the pinch,

no Tacky or other chemical bonds.

Frankly, I thick PDA equipment should be listed rather

than IM equipment (when both make the item). PDA supports us.

Something that I've been thinking of since joining the grip-page, is having a column in your personal information page. Instead of clicking on a members name and seeing some worthless info about where they live, and their favorite web-page, why not allow people to list their stats on a that page? Then, the great grippers can post their info so we can see where they stand, and any newbie can post what ever non-sense they want. You check who you want to check, and then perhaps these entries can be calculated and listed on the major forum to compare rank?

I'd just like to check on a persons info and see accomplishments of just that person.

and then perhaps these entries can be calculated and listed on the major forum to compare rank?

I believe this is the purpose we are attempting, except in a more visual manner. I see it as a time saver. One look, and boom! It's all there. Hopefully, once the chart is up, you will warm up to the idea.

I disagree with your opinion about personal data. I have found this data helpful many times.

Alan

Is it possible to add the "beef builder" grippers on the list ?

AnimalCage, I agree with Oldguy, and wonder why on some feats you have a certain threshold (2 x 45-pounds) and others we have a full range (T-#4). Also, your text implies any number could be an initial starting point. Thus, lets say grip newbie wants to post a 25-pound pinch lift on the Ironmind old block then in theory that would be the record until the next higher is posted. I actually think that would be a good motivator for people to post their numbers, no matter how small. I also kind of like the age thing too, being over 40 myself. Let me also comment on the nails, I would trust people to measure their nails with weight as I describe on my web site and post their best bend in pounds, rather than just state that they’ve bent a 60-penny. Bending a 60-penny is such a wide variance that it almost has no relative meaning.

Also, Wannagrip’s original post says “Since we have rule 5 in place, how about we open a read only forum of "lists" of active members and their performances.” This seems a little different than what we are discussing now. I think all members could be on a ranked list.

And finally, where is lever lifting, Sledgehammers, Weaver stick, etc...

Please, please (with no offence intended) we see more support and action for this idea than the IGF. :inno

Frankly, I thick PDA equipment should be listed rather

than IM equipment (when both make the item). PDA supports us.

I suggest that feats on individual manufacture's equipment be separate categories when the equipment is an integral part of the feat and there is significant equipment variation between manufacturers. Blobs by York and CAP are one example.

Tom,

I agree. Why should there be "qualifying standards" to be on the list, for whatever lift? If someone wants to post even a 3x5kg plate pinch or a 30kg RT then that should be cool, they would just be near the bottom of the list. The upper echelon of excellence should become pretty clear cut anyway - and they would still need proof as per Rule 5.

Mobster,

One of the biggest grip regrets I have over the past year or so is that the IGC crashed and burnt. It had (and still has) great promise.

Just some thoughts-

There needs to be a way to make this easy and not so darn confusing-too many topics, too much variance, etc.

Why worry about equipment? Make the categories-Crushing, Pinching, Supporting, Levering, thick bar, etc. then make sub categories-such as wide pinching (Blob, anvils, etc.) Plate pinching (2-45s). Thcik bar can be seperated into the Inch, the MB, then thick bar feats with barbells and DBs sold by various companies.

Levering-can use sub categories such as hammers (weight), weaver stick (weight), heavy hammer (weight)

As long as a picture or video accompanies the post-then it should be okay. It is up to the mods to put it where it belongs. Say I pinch 50 pounds on my Poor Man's Blob. It should be under wide pinching but certianly not under the Blob. Just have the name of the athlete, the lift, and a link to the pic.

Also-I dont think that the numbers should be so low. I look at the record board as someplace I want to be. It improves competition and drives motivation. Personally-I wouldnt want to be on a board for 2-35s-or for levering an 8-pound hammer. Make it 2-45s, make it 10 pound hammers, make it the Blob, the Inch, the #3 and #4-include the BBE, BBSE, and ( :D ) BBWC. Set a weight for things like the anvil lift by the horn or by the wide face.

The board won't do so much to motivate if everyone is on it-will it? We should make it a world class thing-make us board members bust or a$$es to get on it!

My 2 cents-

Rick Walker :rock

The IGC was born out of calibrated grippers, of which we have none now. The idea was to rank calibrated gripper closes. We actually did discuss having many feats recorded, but with so many feats out there this could become very cumbersome, very quickly. An example is the fact that leveraging is not on the list yet. There are so many feats that can be tracked and categorized that I can understand that this one was missed. I not complaining, but just using it to illustrate my point that this is a very big task and easy to forget major categories.

To All,

Let me first just say that this is an idea. I sent Wannagrip a suggestion on how we could track this. Since nothing like this exists anywhere, it's not black and white on how it should be set up.

Time being what it is, I will respond later and maybe try to explain my thoughts, right and wrong. In the mean time, keep the discussion coming! There is merit in everyone's opinion.

I do not agree Rick. I say the board should be for everyone's best feats. The best of those will automatically find their way to the top. We are going to have to limit the feats that can be listed. If not things will get out of control and people will want to list there best effort with Tommy's toilet roll gripper. We should use commonly found standard equipment. With the emphasis on PDA and Ironmind as then the comparisomes are more fair. If we make this to complicated from the start it will fail. The time has come for it I believe with there being such a variety of grip interest and the emphasis not being all on grippers.

Absolutely Oldguy!

Must be commonly found equipment (or commonly made, like a Weaver stick).
Remember Vince? wouldn't it be weird to have a cateogory with only one existing implement? If we didn't have Inch replicias, would it be fair to have a category for the Inch Dumbbell? Sort of like Inch saying Saxon couldn't lift his dumbbell, but he never tried.
The best will automatically go to the top.

Self sorting, it will work very well.

If we make this too complicated from the start it will fail.

That couldn't be more true.

We need to make this simple.

That might mean just grippers and blobs or pinch grip to start.

Animalcage, please not this.

And, if it means making a decision for getting "something" in place versus beating it to death in discussion, it will fail.

I was just thinking of making lists of names to start in a forum. Simple. Like the #3 closers who are active members, etc.

1. stick with the list as is - just for now. Others can be added later.

2. Have those feats using commonly made etc at the top and those less so further down.

3. add an arterisk (*) to any feat where the equipment is close but not quite and include a short reference to the 'why'. ie: '*4 (see note) - the lift was made using a home made pinch block of similar dimensions to the accepted standard'

Using code/html a shortcut to agreed equipment could be added so that there is a standard or reference where possible.

I'll hand the list over to those with a little more time than me at the mo to agree what that standard is.

Later...

I think wannagrip is right. Keep it simple. A couple basice feats that most people have access to.

I think design is key here

Have a table with the following headers

Exercise

Amount

Individual

Allow users to submit from a form that uses a drop down for exercise and auto-populates individual with their name. Dynamically determine the type of input for amount (either drop down or text) based upon the value choosen for exercise.

This should be possible to do with a web wrapper on a small database. Adding exercises would be as easy as adding an exercise to the Exercise database.

Checking the ranking would be a matter of displaying from the database where exercise = "X" then sorting by amount. This could be two simple pages. Maybe a third "admin" page that allows addition of exercises and deletion of wrong entries to make maitenance easier.

In ASP this isn't too hard, but I don't think this site is hosted on Windows. I bet there's some open source tool out there that does something similar that could be had for free...

Make it simple with only basic feats that we all can do on commonly found equipment. Let if take off and grow from there. Dont get crazy and stifle it at the outset. Simple things such as if you pinch 2 x 35 or 2 x 45. Then state the make and width of the plates and if a bar was placed through the holes. All that is needed is a description of the feat and what equipment was used. If it is world class ( rule 5 ) then be prepared to back it up. If you cheat, there are those of us who will know! Let us not worry about the your #3 is easier than my #3 crap. Too bad. That is out of our control.

Weird, Wannagrip is talking about a forum, this thread has turned into something else (I think, or at least an amalgamation of ideas). Here’s the simple way (with a forum, we could start this today).

Poster: GripGuy

Step 1) Hit New topic

Topic Title: GripGuys Personal Records

Topic Description: My current bests

-Pinch on Ironmind old block- 50-pounds- Verified with picture.

-Closed Ironmind#2 –Unverified

-PDA Inch replica handle- 130 pounds full deadlift. Verified with picture.

-Pinched 55 on 2-inch standard plates (with pin). Unverified.

-Any other lift you want, but there is a caveat (see below).

Alan can then go through the posts and input the data into his spreadsheet. We should all try to follow a similar format so that it is easy for Alan to find the correct data (You can always go back and edit your posts later to make them consistent with the others). He can have a separate box for Verified and Unverified (they can be sorted out later). He can put down as few or as many feats as he can handle, it should be his call, it’s a lot of work (But Alan, let us know the feats you will be tracking). The members can go in their posts to edit at any time, send Alan an e-mail describing the change.

This way we don’t have to debate what to put on the list. Put everything down in your posts that you want and Alan can take what he needs. Make sure if you are describing a feat that you know is on Alan’s list that you call it with the standard name. Thus, if you are pinching the Ironmind old block, state that, rather than stating pinching on 2” block (I’m guessing what the width of that block is here). I think the only thing we would end up debating on is the name of the feat, and how it should be done. Everyone should use the standard names so it is clear to Alan. The first posters should be careful to use standard names and then we can all follow their lead.

Here is what I was thinking actually.

A forum.

I start by creating ACTIVE members who are COC's.

Simple.

It gets things started.

We go on to the next level of grippers.

We work on one lift at a time.