What Is A Decent Ttk 1rm

hellswindstaff

I just started playing with this thing and I'm maxing out 25lbs using both thumbs. Does anyone know what a decent poundage to shoot for is?

Are you doing it like a door key pinch or with your fingers extended?

I'm doing it with the fingers extended. Haven't tested the door key pinch, but I assume that grip is self explanatory. Anyone know a respectable poundage?

I've seen mention of Joe Kinney doing 45 kilos.

Take that back - response from Kinney on a thread on another board:

- Ability to clamp 45+ KG on the Titan Telegraph Key at any time

I've never owned or trained on a Titan's Telegraph Key. The only

time I've ever even touched one was during the filming of an interview

with John Wood - more than a decade after I quit training and with no

serious weight on-board. The thing I used to train on was home-made

and clearly had a different ratio. Once again; find that claim.

Scott, I've heard about the Kenny claims and I also saw the video and he said that he made his TTK. So I'm guessing that it was on a much shorter lever, because if it were the 2:1 or 3:1 ratio then he would have been able to close the CoC#3 with his thumb.

You got me curious. Mine is a copy someone made for me. It measures 7.5" from the pinch plate to the fulcrum of the lever, then 11.5" from the fulcrum to the center of the loading pin. I can do 12.5lbs with one hand or 25lbs with 2 hands. I failed at attempts on 15lbs and 30lbs, respectively.

Typically the higher level grip guys are 2-3x as strong as me on a pinch event.

Yours is a replica?

I can currently set my #3 (can't close it), and I want to be able to set the #4. I'm guessing that will take a while though :P. Just trying to figure out what to set as a goal though

Kinneys TTK was much shorter than IMs. Cant compare. I have an IM TTK and have worked out with 30++ pounds. My thumb is still the weak in thick pinching and blobing so I dont consider my thumb strength up to par.

Id like to know what Jedd, Parris and Daniel can do on TTK as they can toss a blob like a kids toy.

Dunno if the dimensions are the same as the real one. I got it from Climber511.

I doubt I could set a #3. The heaviest gripper I have is a #2. I used to have a super master and could set that.

Scott Styles, I would just post my dimensions on the forum, but I think that may be against the gripboard rules. I've only used the CoCs so I don't really know how to compare the supermaster.

RichAZ, I wonder if there narrow pinch is strong as well. I would be interested in knowing what theyre TTK 1RM is as well.

Can any of you guys tell us?

ty

Scott Styles, I would just post my dimensions on the forum, but I think that may be against the gripboard rules. I've only used the CoCs so I don't really know how to compare the supermaster.

RichAZ, I wonder if there narrow pinch is strong as well. I would be interested in knowing what theyre TTK 1RM is as well.

Can any of you guys tell us?

ty

Jedd has the world record on 2hp. I would imagine the narrow pinch is strong all around for all. I think you could post your dimensions. If it was not ok they would just edit it out. Just don’t post a string of profanities in it.

Scott, mine is 18" from the pin to the end of the handle. Roughly 12 inch from the fulcrum to the loading pin and roughly 6 from the fulcrum to the beginning of the handle. So it's about a 2:1 length ratio.

Sounds a little harder than mine, which makes sense, given we are using the same weight and you can handle a heavier gripper.

I sold my ttk a year or 2 ago from lack of use. Maybe 3 years back when I still occasionally used it I could do 25# with one hand on there. I've gotten substantialy stronger since then.

I use my TTK on average once every two weeks, but honestly it has never occurred to me to close it with both hands on there at the same time.

Come on Jedd... you should go and test it out and give us an answer. So that I can train and crush your TTK pinch!

• 4 months later...

I'm also interested to hear what people have to say about what a good number is. I recently constructed one from spare stuff in the garage and just threw it together without concern for the ratio. Turns out it is 1.6:1.

I just started training on it one hand at a time and can close it for reps with 20#. I've been doing negatives with 30# on it lately, and that is taking some getting used to.

Edited by bwwm

I got rid of mine years ago in a trade. I was using it for part of Blob KTA but otherwise it didn't get much action. The problem with maxes on it and really any type of grip machine that is anchored, is that a hint of body english goes a long ways. You buy a machine to give you the ability to microload but you really can't microload because you're not sure if it's progress or involuntary cheating. I had the same issue with the Hardy Handshake. They're both very well built; you could probably drop them off a moving truck and they'd still be fine but I couldn't figure out the microloading which is what I wanted them for. Joe Kinney did an outstanding job addressing this issue with his SW and the ISG is another nice crush option. For pinch, a pony clamp with flat bar welded on and rubber bands will negate this problem.

@jad - I agree with your observations about body english. Trying to minimize body english while maximizing my grip effort was the first challenging thing I noticed about it. For my purposes, I'm not looking to top the all-time 1 RM, but figuring out the 'ballpark' I should be in to be competitive.

I put mine on the ground and my elbows on the ground as well. If my elbows come up then I assume that I've used body english and the lift is no good.

I put mine on the ground and my elbows on the ground as well. If my elbows come up then I assume that I've used body english and the lift is no good.

I tried that (among other things) and I could still notice front delt and maybe even some lat on to-failure sets

How does that work? As your elbow would act as a fulcrum?

On a max effort, my shoulders would still rise