This Is What We Need Grip To Look Like

Jedd Johnson

Some sort of grip medley where they can all relate to the "grip tasks" being performed.

Grip hang, to farmers walk, to.....

Grippers are ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.. If we rely on those to get more mainstream then we'd be waiting for hell to freeze over IMO. stuart.gif

Kind of like the Slippery Eel duel at the Atomgripz Cup.

What is this?

This gets back to a point I always make about tailoring your contest (obviously not WSH) to your competitors. If you don't have a strong core group of grip guys around, play to the favorites of the locals. Farmer's walk, RT, Axle, grippers- Stuff most people into strength work have done. Similarly, crossfit guys might go for bar hangs for time, repetition thick bar cleans- I am guessing here.

I bet if anyone can make headway here you can Jedd.

I hear what you are syaing and thanks for the confidence. I am thinking to get more athletes into the door and get their feet wet, we may need to develop and holds events that appeal to outsiders' interests. I think you are on the right track for a bar hang and cleans - it is grip-based and also endurance based.

Brent and I developed something called 3 minutes of hell where we loaded an axle with 303, and did 3 minutes of reps, as many as possible. Torture, but very intense!!!

This gets back to a point I always make about tailoring your contest (obviously not WSH) to your competitors. If you don't have a strong core group of grip guys around, play to the favorites of the locals. Farmer's walk, RT, Axle, grippers- Stuff most people into strength work have done. Similarly, crossfit guys might go for bar hangs for time, repetition thick bar cleans- I am guessing here.

The difference I see Bob is tailoring to your competitors is doing what you've always done. What I am ssuggesting is doing just the opposite - doing what has most ikely NEVER been done in a normal comp and tailoring it to the people you are trying to entice.

For instance, the endurance stuff for CF'ers. Another example might be a static plate curl hold in the break arm position for arm wrestlers. Farmer's hold for strongman competitors. Some sort of fingertip test using both hands mimicing the caber toss holding position to bring in Highland Gamers.

Etc.

I don't know about the pvc tub o war. I coukd see the winner getting a big circle black and blue mark to the face.

Rico

I think we could attract a lot of people if we allowed the contestants to pummel each other with their off hands during the tug of war event. Use a 18" piece of 2" PVC. Kind of like a tug of war / hockey fight. I know several guys that would be down for that kind of dust up. :trout:rock

Of course, liability for the promoter would probably come into play. :laugh

Just want to add that CF has various "specialty courses" in which one can be "certified."

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/specialty_certs.html

If they have one for how to row, you'd think they could have one for working grip (provided grip wants to go to the darkside, lol)? Maybe as part of the strongman, powerlifting or kettlebell certifications?

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right?

The difference I see Bob is tailoring to your competitors is doing what you've always done. What I am ssuggesting is doing just the opposite - doing what has most ikely NEVER been done in a normal comp and tailoring it to the people you are trying to entice.

For instance, the endurance stuff for CF'ers. Another example might be a static plate curl hold in the break arm position for arm wrestlers. Farmer's hold for strongman competitors. Some sort of fingertip test using both hands mimicing the caber toss holding position to bring in Highland Gamers.

Etc.

I don't think we are too much off the same page here Jedd. For my stuff, I have an established group of grip guys so I am mostly playing to a grip crowd. If I had a decent plan to target some other crowd, I would have to do different stuff.