This Is What We Need Grip To Look Like

Jedd Johnson

Guys, check out this video: http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=6xUTS&m=JP3nLgbvPAFhmH&b=.87N6o04DCyJpN8qPA4O9A

It is a highlight reel from last year's Cross Fit games.

The crowd seems to be minimal at best, but Cross Fit has exploded in the last few years.

Say what you may about the sport itself, you can't deny its growth. I don't have stats, but I hear a lot about it at conferences and other appearances I have done.

Maybe some of the Cross Fitters on the Gripboard could speak about what has helped this growth take place.

Also, if anyone has thoughts on how to jack up the excitement at Major Grip Contests, I am certainly all ears.

Thanks,

Jedd

Well, that crossfit crowd as some major sex appeal that we're lacking.

The events are more of a spectacle. That jungle of rings and bars looks awsome. We don't really have anything like that, but I am picturing a more elaborate medley set up and the possibilites are endless. Like a huge teeter-totter and you load blobs until it tips the other way. There could be an assortment of blobs and if you can load the heavier ones it would tip quicker. Not a totally awesome idea, but we could start getting creative, and that's all I could think of.

From what I understand, crossfit popularity works something like this:

1. Bring in athletic women from other sports as staff

2. Convice other women to join, since crossfit keeps those athletes fit

3. Have guys join to be around the women

Participation sustains itself as a social group, relatively independent of the sport.

I see the most interest in grip from powerlifters. Maybe some collaboration with a federation could be good? Possible organize a grip comp and a PL meet going on at the same time, it would give the lifters and crowd something to look at between breaks.

I was talking with Doc about this after Nats. I like to make fun of the Crossfitters as much as anybody but why not just collaborate with them? They're already obsessed with their hands as evidenced by their tradition of posting pics of their torn up palms. What if they could hold on longer for chins, snatches, etc..? Grip fits in with their whole tacticool/functional strength mentality. I would think axle oly stuff or fat grips on their chins would be easy transitions. They had a ton of people rolling through their booth at the Arnolds. This would be a great place to put the blob or something similiar. IMO the average crossfitter has a decent amount of disposeable income (read as would travel to grip contests) and is drawn to the idea of being "elite" at something (tear phone books, bend G5s)or harder than the people they normally run around with. I think Grip could fit those needs nicely.

The events are more of a spectacle.

There was a discussion recently on a powerlifting forum about exactly this: how to get the draw that CF does. Although CF has it's benefits (and I dont' want to open another can of worms with this discussion), I think you're right; one of the main draws is the spectacle of it all.

They have the "anyone can do it" thing going for them too, which ironically, I think is less applicable to doing box jumps, high-rep snatches and endless pull ups than it is to picking a heavy object off the ground or other grip feats.

There's also this. I know powerlifters will never make up ground on this front :laugh

Yeah, I'm not a crossfit guy but those classes are taking over my gyms. People are drawn to it.

An elaborate medley would be sweet. Maybe toss in rips and bends. The Hercules Hold is always cool. Fancy wrist rollers like pulling a common heavy object. People relate best to everyday items, or stuff that just looks insane to pick up or do. Grippers, 2HP and others are harder for the average person to grasp. The Plateau Buster is fun and it's aweing to see 600# go up with one hand. Anyone can grasp that. I hate to say it but I think every once and a while there should be comps that are more fun or eye candy, like a grp feat show, than a true and balanced grip measurement.

Matt's right abour the sex appeal despite the men having larger chests than the women. We could all run around with our shirts off and in shorts shorts. Seriously though, anytime you can increase the amount of female competitors you increase overall appeal for several reasons.

I see the most interest in grip from powerlifters. Maybe some collaboration with a federation could be good? Possible organize a grip comp and a PL meet going on at the same time, it would give the lifters and crowd something to look at between breaks.

Good idea.

I did a free for all grip challenge after a climbing comp at a local climbing gym. Once everyone went at all the goodies then crowd voted for the winner. It was well received, and suits the purpose of raising grip interest.

Maybe make the grip feats more athletic based. If that makes sense? Where the grip aspect would be the limiting factor or a major limiting factor. Carrying stuff comes to mind.

I think grip and bending attract people because it isn't a norm pursuit. It it also a bit painful to succeed at either IMO. The majority does not want to participate in painful pursuits IMO. The appeal of Crossfit is- anyone can try it, and it is done as a group largely...the aspect of others around, supporting each other is attractive to many. Other than contests, the occasional grip together, and the occasional Hell's Kitchen vid, grip and bending seems to be a lone pursuit. Not that we don't appreciate each others efforts and enjoy sharing stuff, but look at most Crossfit vids....a bunch of folks together...look at most grip/bending vids...dudes in their garages/basements getting it done alone for the most part. Not trying to sound negative, but I think the very nature of grip and bending will only appeal to a select group of people. The trick is finding them, letting them know about the pursuit and getting them to try stuff. just more widespread exposure will attract those that would be interested. Not disrespecting anyone/anything- this is just an observation- from the crossfitters I know and from the grip guys/benders I know..it seems to ME/JMO that most crossfitters are "joiners" and like group efforts...it seems to me that a lot of grip guys/benders are fine doing stuff alone. I am sure that there are crossfitters that do the WOD alone, and that there are grip guys/benders that would prefer group efforts but for the majority I think my generalization holds true.

I agree that the more dramatic looking the feat the more interesting it is to watch and would translate to more people wanting to try it.

One of the events that I have the most fun watching is the medley with all its crazy feats. Phone book tearing is dramatic, braced bending looks more dramatic than un-braced etc. The axle is ok but if you had two rolling thunders attached to cables with pulleys and a safe or keg attached to each end like they do in the worlds strongest man that it is still thick bar but with visual drama going on.

Grippers is my favorite but someone watching a coc#4 close without having a reference of how hard it is wont really be impressed. Maybe gripping while on fire for the drama??? :whistel

The events are more of a spectacle. That jungle of rings and bars looks awsome. We don't really have anything like that, but I am picturing a more elaborate medley set up and the possibilites are endless. Like a huge teeter-totter and you load blobs until it tips the other way. There could be an assortment of blobs and if you can load the heavier ones it would tip quicker. Not a totally awesome idea, but we could start getting creative, and that's all I could think of.

No DUDE. That is an AWESOME IDEA!!!!

From what I understand, crossfit popularity works something like this:

1. Bring in athletic women from other sports as staff

2. Convice other women to join, since crossfit keeps those athletes fit

3. Have guys join to be around the women

Participation sustains itself as a social group, relatively independent of the sport.

Not sure if that is 100% correct, but I think that model works for many things.

Niko Hulslander has proposed some collaboration with me coming up in the Fall that i am going to try to work with him on.

Also, I am going to try to get him flyers to hand out this weekend at the Keystone State Games he is running at his facility this weekend. SO great idea, BGally.

I was talking with Doc about this after Nats. I like to make fun of the Crossfitters as much as anybody but why not just collaborate with them? They're already obsessed with their hands as evidenced by their tradition of posting pics of their torn up palms. What if they could hold on longer for chins, snatches, etc..? Grip fits in with their whole tacticool/functional strength mentality. I would think axle oly stuff or fat grips on their chins would be easy transitions. They had a ton of people rolling through their booth at the Arnolds. This would be a great place to put the blob or something similiar. IMO the average crossfitter has a decent amount of disposeable income (read as would travel to grip contests) and is drawn to the idea of being "elite" at something (tear phone books, bend G5s)or harder than the people they normally run around with. I think Grip could fit those needs nicely.

Good points. A lot of this is also called marketing, which I am decent at and could run with if we could get the GripSport.org website updated. My crappy site that I have up right now is a joke and can not be used as a marketing platform. I'd love to work with someone who has decent website skills who also does Grip that would volunteer to help us out with this.

Yeah, I'm not a crossfit guy but those classes are taking over my gyms. People are drawn to it.

An elaborate medley would be sweet. Maybe toss in rips and bends. The Hercules Hold is always cool. Fancy wrist rollers like pulling a common heavy object. People relate best to everyday items, or stuff that just looks insane to pick up or do. Grippers, 2HP and others are harder for the average person to grasp. The Plateau Buster is fun and it's aweing to see 600# go up with one hand. Anyone can grasp that. I hate to say it but I think every once and a while there should be comps that are more fun or eye candy, like a grp feat show, than a true and balanced grip measurement.

Matt's right abour the sex appeal despite the men having larger chests than the women. We could all run around with our shirts off and in shorts shorts. Seriously though, anytime you can increase the amount of female competitors you increase overall appeal for several reasons.

Good idea.

I did a free for all grip challenge after a climbing comp at a local climbing gym. Once everyone went at all the goodies then crowd voted for the winner. It was well received, and suits the purpose of raising grip interest.

Daniel, as much as I liek to run around with my shirt off, I don't think anyone wants to see the myriad of moles I have on my back.

However, I think we can do something to look more athletic during contests. For instance, I toyed with the notion of disallowing jeans at this year's Nationals. I myself have worn them, and looking back it makes the contest look like a leisure interest event at best and more like a redneck beer party with cow-tipping an two hand pinch thrown in. I think the attire is very important to a sport. Imagine watching a baseball team run around in jean shorts and jeans - it would make it seem like beer league softball. There are lots of things to consider along these lines.

In the end, i think this thread has proven a point and gotten my point across that we have opportunities to market the sport better. Many are quick to say that we will NEVER make any money in it and never grow outside our garages. I say that is bullsh*t and the sport will grow as much as we as a group make it grow.

Jedd

Maybe make the grip feats more athletic based. If that makes sense? Where the grip aspect would be the limiting factor or a major limiting factor. Carrying stuff comes to mind.

Yes, great idea. In fact, i included some more carrying and other athletic aspects last year at Nationals and threw in some more demanding stuff this year at Nationals. So I totally agree, Bill.

One of the things you will notice guys is that a lot of Cross Fit stuff is done with Strongman implements. I see no reason why after some time it might even include Grip Stuff, like Two hands Pinch, it just might have to be done for a walk/waddle or for reps so that it has that additional conditioning and fitness requirement.

Jedd

I think grip and bending attract people because it isn't a norm pursuit. It it also a bit painful to succeed at either IMO. The majority does not want to participate in painful pursuits IMO. The appeal of Crossfit is- anyone can try it, and it is done as a group largely...the aspect of others around, supporting each other is attractive to many. Other than contests, the occasional grip together, and the occasional Hell's Kitchen vid, grip and bending seems to be a lone pursuit. Not that we don't appreciate each others efforts and enjoy sharing stuff, but look at most Crossfit vids....a bunch of folks together...look at most grip/bending vids...dudes in their garages/basements getting it done alone for the most part. Not trying to sound negative, but I think the very nature of grip and bending will only appeal to a select group of people. The trick is finding them, letting them know about the pursuit and getting them to try stuff. just more widespread exposure will attract those that would be interested. Not disrespecting anyone/anything- this is just an observation- from the crossfitters I know and from the grip guys/benders I know..it seems to ME/JMO that most crossfitters are "joiners" and like group efforts...it seems to me that a lot of grip guys/benders are fine doing stuff alone. I am sure that there are crossfitters that do the WOD alone, and that there are grip guys/benders that would prefer group efforts but for the majority I think my generalization holds true.

I am working ona Grip Group here in my area - Great idea Andy

Ya know what would be cool is holding an Axe over a red-water-filled water balloon for time, trying to avoid popping the balloon, keeping it level. Axes can get damn heavy! The water would be red so it looked like blood when the balloon does pop.

From what I have gathered, Crossfit is more a social gathering than a competition.

I believe large breasts and nice rear ends have more to do with crossfit's appeal than anything. Plus, it is a business that focuses on exercise classes, making it more social by nature.

I have tried to spread the word at every powerlifting event. I have even posted competition notices on the powerlifting boards for a while, probably will hit up outlaw powerlifting again this year.

From what I have gathered, Crossfit is more a social gathering than a competition.

I thought the same thing until I was at Sorinex. I basically though CrossFit was a joke, just a bunch people about to get injured. That isn't so, brother. A lot of these people are damn tough and competitively minded. They do not mess around. My opinion of Cross Fit has dramatically changed since experiencing the WOD at Summer Strong.

I believe large breasts and nice rear ends have more to do with crossfit's appeal than anything. Plus, it is a business that focuses on exercise classes, making it more social by nature.

As much as I love looking at both of those, I think it is different now that I have experienced it. The great majority of men were either:

1. Too nervous to check out the chicks

2. Too wasted from the WOD to pay attention to chicks

3. Too involved with being on top of their game

I have tried to spread the word at every powerlifting event. I have even posted competition notices on the powerlifting boards for a while, probably will hit up outlaw powerlifting again this year.

Awesome, I think the next step is having something they can put in their hand to take with them. A simple sheet of paper like the one I posted a few weeks ago would work.

Optimally, you want to collect their email address so we can contact them later on about upcoming comps and learning experiences, articles, etc.

I always thought crossfit was part of Scientology. It's not a cult? :rolleyes

Honestly Jedd, you need to contact Goody. He transitioned from Grip to Crossfit and was actually the grip instructor at the largest crossfit gym in DC. If anyone knows more about the two pursuits, I haven't got a clue who that could be.

He would be a good gauge as to whether or not grip attracts crossfitters, or if we would be wasting our time. Also, he has been on the inside of a hugely successful crossfit operation, so he knows the actual formula they use, not just rumors and hearsay.

When we held CGC at his gym in 2010, many of the crossfit people stopped and watched some of the comp, but there didn't seem to be any real excitement on their part.

Great idea.

Just sent him a note.

We've run several comps at a crossfit gym out here now including all of the WSH comps last year. they had quite a bit of interest initially including 20 competitors for the first WSH comp I put on last year. However it seemed that interest waned with how slowly the comp ran and prolly the event selection. I think that the crossfit people might enjoy the last man standing format for events better than the rounds system based on my experience with them.

- Aaron

Honestly Jedd, you need to contact Goody. He transitioned from Grip to Crossfit and was actually the grip instructor at the largest crossfit gym in DC. If anyone knows more about the two pursuits, I haven't got a clue who that could be.

He would be a good gauge as to whether or not grip attracts crossfitters, or if we would be wasting our time. Also, he has been on the inside of a hugely successful crossfit operation, so he knows the actual formula they use, not just rumors and hearsay.

When we held CGC at his gym in 2010, many of the crossfit people stopped and watched some of the comp, but there didn't seem to be any real excitement on their part.

Even with goody there and I would guess he knew the people who were members, I don't think I remember any one asking any questions.

MikeR. Did you go to another comp at a crossfit gym before that? I remember holds for time for some reason. Did anyone stop and ask questions?

Even with goody there and I would guess he knew the people who were members, I don't think I remember any one asking any questions.

MikeR. Did you go to another comp at a crossfit gym before that? I remember holds for time for some reason. Did anyone stop and ask questions?

That's the only one I've done at a CF gym Parris.

Aaron makes a good point. It's obvious CrossFit competitors are used to having multiple stations, so having to sit around and wait their asses off is probably not that appealing. I bet Last Man Standing would appeal to them.

This gets back to a point I always make about tailoring your contest (obviously not WSH) to your competitors. If you don't have a strong core group of grip guys around, play to the favorites of the locals. Farmer's walk, RT, Axle, grippers- Stuff most people into strength work have done. Similarly, crossfit guys might go for bar hangs for time, repetition thick bar cleans- I am guessing here.

I bet if anyone can make headway here you can Jedd.

An event I came up with last week when an acquaintance came over with a few of his friends to see my grip equipment seemed to pique the attention of all of them. Inverted gripper tug-of-war. We used a heavy duty shoelace as the "rope". He clamped one end of the shoelace between the handles of a Trainer (57lbs calibration) - and I clamped the other end of the shoelace between the handles of a Bone Crusher 300 (134lbs calibration). The difference in gripper calibration made it pretty fair I think. But I won - by pulling the shoelace out of the handles of his Trainer.

Might've been better had we both been standing over dunk tanks. That way the loser gets dumped in a bunch of cold water.

We also played grip-of-war with a 3-foot length of 2.375" diameter PVC. Then with a 5-foot length of 27mm diameter PVC. I let the ones who gave that last diameter a shot use both hands.

If we did a grip-of-war event at a contest it would probably get a lot more attention from the general population just because there's the head-ro-head competition factor. Kind of like the Slippery Eel duel at the Atomgripz Cup.