Larratt Vs Todd

bicio

I was not there. From what I undestand, when he got tired, he would pause at the top and then hold himself on one hand while the other side of his body could relax. Then he would switch hands and let the other side relax. Then he would pump out more reps and repeat the process. He did the pushups over close to two hours. They were full range push-ups.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Schweinemann

• jad

• Eric Roussin

• Florian Kellersmann

I watched Doug Prudin (one of the Canadian record holders) doing push-ups on the backs of his hands for more than 30 minutes during a fringe festival a few years ago. 30 minutes was all the time that I was there to watch and eat my lunch but he'd been doing them before I showed up and was still doing them when I left. He was busking for a week or 10 days throughout the festival and I think he goes every year. Pretty effortless for him in any fashion.

Thanks for that insight into Devon's training, Eric!

Re: Devon being in a constant state of overtraining: does he get noticeably weaker? I've tried the train through it thing in the past and what generally makes me stop is I start barely being able to beat our 154# (fresh for fresh at the practice in question). Normally, I can just hold him with hand control and watch the ball game behind him on the tv. You can get used to the pain but when performance starts drastically dropping, that's where I get concerned. Is this to be expected or am I just screwing something up?

Thanks,

Josh

Overreaching is a common practise in a lot of sports.

Some oly lifters train till they get about 20% weaker before they recover fully.

I also know of climbers who train till performance drops and then they back off to recover.

I think this is a way of training only suited for very advanced athletes.

Eric: 1400 push-ups? Were you there?

1400 push-ups without getting out of the "plank" possition? Wtf? This sounds unbelievable.

From what I've heard around the tournaments(just stating what I hear around the midwest tournies I'm at) is that this was at Worlds one year and it was a bet with Bob Brown.

There was a push-up challenge with Bob Brown at the 1999 Worlds, which Devon won, but the 1,400 push-up story happened on a different occasion. Would have been a year or two earlier, with non-armwrestler friends.

There was a push-up challenge with Bob Brown at the 1999 Worlds, which Devon won, but the 1,400 push-up story happened on a different occasion. Would have been a year or two earlier, with non-armwrestler friends.

Ahhhh, thanks for the clarification! Do you have the details on the World's story? I've heard 1100-1400 and the two separate occasions would likely explain the range.

I'm going with the underdog on this one.

I think Todd will win 4-2.

I talked in person with Todd at the Ronnie Coleman Classic this year

and his approach to this supermatch will be different than any other he's faced

especially in his preparation.

For one, he will weigh right at 300 lbs. or slightly over. His determination

is unparalleled. His ability to comeback even in really bad positions is CRAZY.

Main reason is the way he's going about his resting after near over-trained state.

Michael said that 99% of the time he's right on the verge of over-trained. Most people that come

over to pull with him can beat him most of the time because he's really tore down all the time.

When he takes a week off from training he says no one can touch him. The only problem is he says he never

rest properly before a tournament.

With this years Arm Wars it will be different. Michael has planned at least 7 full days of rest for

this maybe even 10. Being the under dog has also motivated him for this challenge. Before he retires

he said he's going to take down the biggest names in the sport before he does so. To do this he has to gain weight

and strength comes along with his weight gain. He's more on the table and less on the weights right now.

Me and Michael talked for at least 30 minutes and I'm proud to say I was at Michael's first tournament

in Irving Texas at a mall when he was still a teenager. His hits were unbelievable then and still are.

I wish him the BEST and I hope he achieves his goals before he retires.

One of the best arm wrestlers ever!!!

Well, for me it is hard to believe that Todd faces the toughest opponents or tournaments without appropriate rest. I mean, he is long enough around to know how to perform at his best. If you go to a tournament, pay money and all that stuff it would be stupid to be out of shape or beat down, especially if he wants to become number one. What he is saying and what will happen on the table are different stories. I like Michael Todd, but if he really believes that noone can touch him once he is rested... is kinda... :rolleyes

What i really wonder is, how long will his arm play that game? His left is so screwed up already and so is his right. If he can not rely on his joint lock, he will have nothing against Devon...except he has discovered something we have never seen before.

Edited by Schweinemann

Well, for me it is hard to believe that Todd faces the toughest opponents or tournaments without appropriate rest. I mean, he is long enough around to know how to perform at his best. If you go to a tournament, pay money and all that stuff it would be stupid to be out of shape or beat down, especially if he wants to become number one. What he is saying and what will happen on the table are different stories. I like Michael Todd, but if he really believes that noone can touch him once he is rested... is kinda... :rolleyes

What i really wonder is, how long will his arm play that game? His left is so screwed up already and so is his right. If he can not rely on his joint lock, he will have nothing against Devon...except he has discovered something we have never seen before.

Keep in mind I'm repeating what I was told by Todd himself.

BTW, most arm wrestlers go around in an over-trained state most of the time

and don't realize it.

Keep in mind I'm repeating what I was told by Todd himself.

BTW, most arm wrestlers go around in an over-trained state most of the time

and don't realize it.

I did not critice or tried to offend you. I know that you simply quoted Todd, so no worries. And you are right, to get overtrained in AW is very much cummon and so easy to do. The strength level fully rested and overtrained is huge, true...but Todd is around for so long. He is gunning for the biggest names and i can not believe that he throws away all those opportunities by being not in shape. But ok, maybe he can suprise us by rocking the world of armwrestling in some weeks, i doubt it though.

Not offended at all buddy!

You make valid points and the show down should be incredible!

We'll see!

One thing is clear: Mike is extremly motivated for this and will be heavier and stronger than the Mike we saw before. This is why enough people with great armwrestling knowledge see that Mike has a good chance and beliefs in him!

One thing is clear: Mike is extremly motivated for this and will be heavier and stronger than the Mike we saw before. This is why enough people with great armwrestling knowledge see that Mike has a good chance and beliefs in him!

Only if he is well rested :trout

I too go with the under dog. If you can't hit Michael to the pad, and let him hang around, he will comeback and get you. He will wears you down and beat you faster and faster succeding rounds. Don't let him get behind that arm for shoulder/tricep press or else!

Who else wishes we could see a 270 lb Devon?

Devon stated in his latest You Tube video that he's around 245 lbs.

right now.

270 in under 3 weeks? I don't know about that.

I guess it is a hypotetical question, isn't it? Well, if Devon could get that big then he might be the Armwrestling Terminator. I would like to see it. But can he really do it? He said that he likes to show up at 250, so 270 can only be a goal for the future, except something really strange is going on...

270 was just a weight I'd like to see him pull at. I too think he would be like an Armwrestling Terminator. I doubt he will be any more than 250 on the day he pulls Michael (if that).

270 was just a weight I'd like to see him pull at. I too think he would be like an Armwrestling Terminator. I doubt he will be any more than 250 on the day he pulls Michael (if that).

Hey Eric,

I can not communicate with you on the NE board, since i'am not a memeber, but i think your project about the AW history is going to be awesome. I hope you will publish it as a book or at least as a well made edited pdf-file for the world to see. An enormous project like that should at least be connected to all the major AW-websites around. Im really curious how you will proceed with the up and growing content. Great work.

Ohh and i still think Devon will win. :)

Agreed!