I Am A Wuss!

OldGuy

I can lift it with 2 hands and then let go of one. Any tips for hand position?

Let the first pad of the thumb just sit over the first edge. This will allow the fingers to reach almost down towards the centre - esp where the handle was cut. You want to get the longest finger on that point if you can. Allow the blob to tilt a little towards the fingers and lift. Once you've done it a few times that way you'll begin to develop both the strength and the confidence to pull it up real strict. Lots of chalk on the thumb and fingertips using this method.

If I remember rightly you have similar sized hands to me so what I'm doing should be about right for you too.

It's a toss up between how much thumb and how much of your fingers you need on each side to apply maximum pressure.

I have found that the optimum position for me is about 1/2" above the thumb knuckle with the middle finger directly opposite. This leaves my middle finger about 15mm from the centre of the blob. It's just a matter of playing around and finding what's best for you. This is probably best done on a blob that you can just about lift though.

And who showed you this?? Ahem!!

Wade,

You can add me to that list of full deadlifters with the blob.

middle finger to wrist - 7 5/8"

I have tried to clean it, but no go. Jim Wylie is the master of the blob over here.

Certainly a certification process would not be hard to organise here in England.

David

And who showed you this?? Ahem!!

Steve

We've spent many hours down dave's gym deliberating hand position since the grip champs but yes, you are the reason that I lifted it ;). If you let me know how to close the #4 when you a get chance I'd be greatful.

Guest wells

A wuss would never attempt to pick up a blob. :blink

So you're no wuss in my book... just an old guy! :tongue

You'll do it soon enough. Perfecting your technique and channeling your strength seem to be the keys here.

Good luck.

Edited by wells

I have full lifted the blob as well. Wannagrip should have some video.

I have full lifted the blob as well.  Wannagrip should have some video.

I do.

NAH NA NAH NA NAH NAAAAAA!

:stuart :stuart :yikes

Nah. I was too tired on the day and don't have (an excuse I know) the hand length old Jim boy has so... I just saw a way he could lift it and almost got it and then showed Jim. I don't have access to one and will presume shipping is a real killler.

Steve

The GAZZA Blob is coming to the OHF Din DinZZZZ,so b e ready :D

Too late to train for it! But I'll give it a go. I want to bring along the Robert Baraban grippers he's sending me - I can't wait!

Ok then, the unofficial blob list:

1) Sorin

2) Brookfield

3) John Otarski??

4) Wade Gillingham

5) Brad Gillingham

6) Matt Graham

7) Jim Wylie

8) David Horne

9) Heath Sexton

10) Odd Haugen

11) Phil Pfister

12) Jouko Ahola

Don't know about the order of Phil and Jouko, or even if they've done it. If anyone knows anything about the name I have in #3 above let me know. I'm pretty sure this is the right name and that he's done it a long time ago but can't confirm.

Wade

Wade - His name is spelled Ottarski. I don't know if he lifted a 50 pounder but 1st CoC probably does.

By the way, cool list! Very elite list of strength athletes.

Mike M.

There was an article in MILO about 6 or 7 years ago that John Brookfirld wrote about John Ottarski. If I recall correctly, it said that he lifted the blob with additional weight duct taped to the bottom of the blob.

Very Cool list.

This 'list' would appear to be more difficult to get on?And is a much shorter list :D than FULL deadlifts of the INCH and of course #3 closures.......

Unlike the INCH Dumbell FULL Deadlift list(which i think is growing fairly fast?)and the number #3 gripper closures (which IS increaseing in number very rapidly)

Just curious..( I don't have a blob yet and just got grippers on Friday of last week so Obviously have NO idea) Of those that CAN do the FULL deadlift of the INCH and close the #3-would you agree- the blob is the most difficult of the three 'feats'?

To me lifting a lot of weight with a 2 3/8'' handle is a piece of cake compared to pinching a 50 lb blob or 2 x 45 olympic plates.

Wow! I really have an urge to get on that list now! The Blob list is so small also because they are relatively hard to find, however I'm doing what I can to change that. In the past month, there have been ten Blobs put into circulation! And I'm always looking for more...

Regarding the set that I think Mobster mentioned, I personally can't quite do it that way (just wrapping the first knuckle of my thumb around the edge). This opens my thumb up dangerously wide and the shooting pain I get isn't so fun. It's been a long time since I've tried it this way. Perhaps I should try it again now that I've had considerable practice with blobs. I'll have to ensure that my hands are warmed up good though...

BC.

Wade,

I'll try and get some results of measuring a York near where I live. These would be new York 100# DB's (uncut Blobs). I have never attempted a 50 pound Blob before, but my 25 pounders are quite easy for me (and this translates exactly into NADA when talking about the Blobs!).