I Am A Wuss!

OldGuy

Even though my hand reaches to the center of a 50 lb blob, I cannot budge it from the floor. How anyone with smaller hands can lift it, staggers me.

:bow

Wow. That puts a whole new perspective on just how impressive lifting the blob really is. Strong thumbs are definitely a neccessity. How much can you plate pinch, Old Guy?

Lots of chalk really helps as well as hand position. Try taking it up with two hands Oldguy, and see if you can hold it with one.

If I remember rightly you have similar sized hands to me so what I'm doing should be about right for you too.

It's a toss up between how much thumb and how much of your fingers you need on each side to apply maximum pressure.

I have found that the optimum position for me is about 1/2" above the thumb knuckle with the middle finger directly opposite. This leaves my middle finger about 15mm from the centre of the blob. It's just a matter of playing around and finding what's best for you. This is probably best done on a blob that you can just about lift though.

Is this a suggestion that you might be getting rid of your 50 pound blob? You might be able to sell it here, unless you're going to hold onto it (bad pun) until you can lift it.

We now have a lot of members of the 50-lb blob owners club!

I myself have a 30,35,40,45 and 50lbs blob

and am pretty close to lifting the 50, although

I think I will be able to lift it sideways first as

I can allready lift the 45 sideways ;)

The correct way is to have it up and down where as

on the side would be where you put your hand

across where the bar used to be to connect the

two

Matt

P.S. if you want E-mail me and I can

send you a few pics of both ways

A York 50 lb blob is 5'' across and 7 1/2'' in diameter. Surely it cannot be picked up by spanning the diameter, but only across it's width?

I don't know if we are on the same track here

but I do have a pic of me doing the 45lbs blob

on its side which is very close to size as the

50lbs blob

Matt

Well exactly(should be EZ enough to figure out by the sounds of things)WHO has done a FULL stand up dead with the 50# BLOB.

1)Wade G.(of course)

2)Pfister?

3)Sorin?

4)another Gillingham?

5)?

I have lifted the 50 pound blob on it's side a few times. On saturday in the booth after I was really warmed up and tired of lifting it the normal way I kicked it on it's side and lifted it to about chest height this way. I had never before lifted it this high in this manner - it actually felt easier to me at the time.

Wade

Good question because I would like to know. Here is my list and I think this is in the right order as well:

1) Sorin

2) Brookfield

3) John Otarski??

4) Wade Gillingham

5) Brad Gillingham

6) Matt Graham

7) Jim Wylie

8) Odd Haugen

I have also heard that Phil Pfister has done it but I haven't confirmed that. I thought I saw a post that said Heath has done it to but don't know for sure.

Wade

Looks like the start of a small group of people accomplishing

a great feat, I can't wait to join that list. heres kind of a wierd idea

how about a blob certification??

Matt

My hands from middle finger to wrist are about 8 1/4

and from thumb to pinky about 9"

Matt

middle finger to wrist - 8 1/2"

pinky to thumb spread - 10 1/4"

Thanks.

I though i had read that one of your brothers did it.I had forgot about Brookfield.

I will say when I met Brookfield at Strongest Man Alive it seemed that he had small/normal hands( key word is seemed) and this was when I was a smaller person.I think his wrists were small/normal too-and 'normal'forearms.OR maybe they just seemed small with all the HUGE creatures that were in the same place at the same time?I remember several of us talking about how small his hands were(and how amazed we were)He put on quite a show at the break!

I did shake his hand too.Not a huge handshake..if you know what i mean and my hands were rougher than his(callouses and skin texture)

Maybe Roark has a hand measurement of Brookfield? but I would guess between 7 3/4 and less than 8"?

I only bring this up (although Brookfields grip has been described as 'otherworldly') it does show us it can be done with a somewhat smaller hand?

I hope this is comeing off the right way...but although the Lift favors the heavily mitted it should be doable even if YOU don't have giant hands.

So its a VERY short list for sure...

As I have a handspan of 10 1/2'' and a length of just under 9 '', I am going to have to find another excuse for not lifting the 50 lb blob. I think that not being strong enough should do it.

:blink

My new milo says that Jouko Ahola and Phil Pfister can get the blob. I suppose that all you blob lifters have the ability to pinch at least 90lbs right.