Potato Crush

Rampage jackson

Depends if the potato is rotten or not.

• Like 1

It's a weird question because the two things are unrelated, I feel.

:huh:

...or it's a trick question! You don't need a captain of crush, you need a potato!

I just recently closed #3 for the first time, but still couldn't crush the potato. However, I've never really practiced potato crush.

I use a #1, just bake the potato for 2-3 hrs then squeeze it between the gripper handles. Add butter a little milk if you like, I like to keep about half the skin - you know the best of skin on but still light and smooth. Now gravies thats a bigger discussion

Part of it depends on the calibration of the potato. You will occasionally buy one that is very hard when compared to a large number of other potatoes. The company you buy them from will refuse to believe there is any variation in their potatoes. So they'll resort to demeaning you and condescending remarks and snarky retorts.

• Like 1

I think this is a good question in the original post. It's a cool feat of grip strenght.

In grippers, I think you need to be stronger then CoC #3 anyway.

• 7 months later...

I think this is a good question in the original post. It's a cool feat of grip strenght.

In grippers, I think you need to be stronger then CoC #3 anyway.

On a Randy article, it said that crushing a potato requires about the same strength it takes to crush a #4.

I'm not sure if this is confirmed, but sounds legit to me.

Part of it depends on the calibration of the potato. You will occasionally buy one that is very hard when compared to a large number of other potatoes. The company you buy them from will refuse to believe there is any variation in their potatoes. So they'll resort to demeaning you and condescending remarks and snarky retorts.

I'd have to go with Ben on this one: calibrate the potato first, season it well and then be sure to put the side with the most eyes in the palm of your hand—otherwise, all bets are off. Also, the general advice is to lubricate it before you calibrate it, but when it comes to eating potatoes, I find that lubrication (I prefer butter) and seasoning (lots of salt and pepper) can be done in either order.

Seriously, this is not a dumb question and guys like Ben who have inhaled the Captains of Crush book know that the history of crushing raw potatoes and closing the Captains of Crush No. 3 and the Captains of Crush No. 4 are closely interrelated, but the quick answer is that you should plan to be in the range of closing a CoC No. 3 if you want to be able to crush a raw potato in your bare hand.

Can you do either/both of these (crush a raw potato/close a CoC No. 3)?

• 3 weeks later...

There is a video of Tommy crushing one for bud jeffries... I think that he used his fingertips as well.

However, I agree with the calibration of the potato b/c different potatoes come in different strengths... seriously I'm sure that a sweet potato is much harder to crush.

Calibrated potatoes! :grin:

There is a video of Tommy crushing one for bud jeffries... I think that he used his fingertips as well.

However, I agree with the calibration of the potato b/c different potatoes come in different strengths... seriously I'm sure that a sweet potato is much harder to crush.