5/3/1 For Powerlifting

BGally

I've made the changes for my current 531 cycle going forward. Bought the book when it was released.

I've made the changes for my current 531 cycle going forward. Bought the book when it was released.

What kind of changes did you make?

How did you like the book?

I just noticed the book was out yesterday, I was pretty stoked. What kind of changes did you make to your routine?

Why bother buying that book, he already explained the changes himself:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/531_reloaded

I'd rather go to a public library and read basic texts on sports science.

You'll be able to look at powerlifting from a more generalized point of view that way, which in my opinion is always a good thing.

Why bother buying that book, he already explained the changes himself:

http://www.t-nation....nt/531_reloaded

I'd rather go to a public library and read basic texts on sports science.

You'll be able to look at powerlifting from a more generalized point of view that way, which in my opinion is always a good thing.

I read that article some months ago. I am almost through with the newest book and there is a plethora of information in here.

Why read a publication from a proved athlete with witty writing as apposed to dry sport science text? No brainer...Its the experience and minute details both physical and mental that is golden from someone that is/was on top of their game. With Jim having an English degree he can deliver his information in a way most athletes can't. Not to say that classic sports science lit should not be in one's library but theory can only take you so far and you need some one with the practice to share with you.

Ideally you'd read up on the science stuff yourself, and then meet up with sucessfull people in your sport in person, in the real world.

The changes made were the same as outlined on the T Nation site. The books okay, for $20 I don't mind grabbing it as I can easily spend it in worse places. It basically goes through everything from the first book and some. It's about 100 pages so a lot more of the Q&A stuff in the back and some different routines for different goals, gear, etc.

I lIke Jims writing style and what he says. Not saying it's the be all, end all book but another tool in the toolbox.

The changes made were the same as outlined on the T Nation site. The books okay, for $20 I don't mind grabbing it as I can easily spend it in worse places. It basically goes through everything from the first book and some. It's about 100 pages so a lot more of the Q&A stuff in the back and some different routines for different goals, gear, etc.

I lIke Jims writing style and what he says. Not saying it's the be all, end all book but another tool in the toolbox.

He has drawn on his own and others contest prep experience to detail some really good points both minor and major. As Shoggoth says a lot of the book is a rehash from the first one so this might be only for fans of Wendlers writings..Here is an excerpt from my favorite part of the book and a reason why I really like Jim's stuff:

"N.O.V. Powerlifting

North of Vag -- this is more than a style of lifting or training.This has taken off and become a rallying cry for people frustrated with the emasculation of society. This emasculation has made its way into the lifting world, and I will fight like hell to get it out. There are now people writing, talking, teaching, instructing, and coaching strength that have none. There are people who have marginalized strength training, trivialized squatting and deadlifting, and somehow convinced others that strength isn't important. Why? Because they aren't strong. They don't have the desire to be strong. They don't have the discipline to put a heavy bar on their backs or the guts to pull something heavy. At a certain point, we have to take a stand. And the point has come. people trying to make this more complicated than it is. You want to have a good meet?

Be strong. Be strong mentally. Be strong physically." ~ Jim Wendler 5/3/1 for Powerlifting