Foam Rolling And Static Stretching

BigJan85

I recently acquired a foam roller and started to use it this week. After my workouts would it be better to foam roll and then static stretch or vice versa??

Also, how long to you recommend foam rolling for (how long on each body part)?

Edited by BigJan85

I recently acquired a foam roller and started to use it this week. After my workouts would it be better to foam roll and then static stretch or vice versa??

Also, how long to you recommend foam rolling for (how long on each body part)?

I think it is better to foam roll to release muscular tension and then stretch without restrictions. If you roll before and after workouts you will find the need to static stretch very little.

Bryan

Edited by BGally

Just read the article Jedd. I had no idea that people were so split on their opinions of rollers! I was under the impression that pretty much everyone agreed that they had a positive impact on mobility and helped prevent injury. I'm curious to see the kinds of long term effects (if any) rolling will have for me. I can vouch for short term effects because even in the few times ive gotten on the roller, I feel immediately better afterwards.

I am less tense in the areas when I roll in warm up which makes me feel they help prevent injuries. They are comparable to deep tissue massages if you use them right. This has to help with recovery due to added circulation benefits. As for the pain, this goes away after a couple uses if you are not accustomed to them, the same with deep tissue massages. I have used standard rollers like THIS and homemade ones from PVC pipes with and without foam on them. I am a fairly large fellow (250 - 260) and the standard ones start to lose form after a month or two and are not very effective after that. The PVC ones are a little too brutal and it takes me a couple of days sometimes to recover from them, which might be a little much and could dip into muscle recovery time. The next generation rollers are where it is at with the RUMBLE ROLLER and THE GRID. I have been using the Rumble Roller for about a month now and this thing is made to last not giving up its form. I have heard good things about The Grid as well. They hurt so good.

I don't have delayed muscle soreness in the following days after training when I use rollers regularly, which for that fact alone sells me on them.

Good article BTW Jedd

I use the roller as part of my warm up before lifting. If I bother to stretch statically in the evening, I also use it prior to that.

I sit all day. I find that using it on my upper back and IT band help offset that. I will also roll on 4" or 6" ball to get the trigger points in my glutes.

If I had a healthier pattern of daily activity, better mobility and less stress, maybe I wouldn't need it. Until then...

I roll on a tennis ball for my upper and lower back areas. Effective, yes, though I forsee an aggressive foam roller in my future.