Weight Lifting -powerlifting

natanelnumber1

i been training like amture bodybuilder + little powerlifting 3 years now i want to try something new i mean or powerlifting or weight lifting I wanted you Explain me what are the differences between powerlifting and weightlifting and benefits of each one and this Types of strength ?

It is quite simple. Weightlifting is all about explosive power while powerlifting is about maximum power. Weightlifters are nowhere as "strong" as powerlifters. With strong i mean, they have not the same maximum power like a powerlifter, but they are fast and can speed up the weights they lift which usually the powerlifter cant.

Another thing is the technique. Weightlifting is a highly technical sport and you need at least some months or even longer to learn a proper technique or you will end up injured. If you have no serious coach who will show you how to snatch, the angle you need and all the stuff, then you are asking for problems.

I do not know your age and what you are aiming for, but i think you can hold your max power for longer years, while your explosiveness suffers at least from your mid 30s. If it just a hobby, you can try it and decide. If you wanna be competitive and you aim for something more, while you are over 30, then i would stick to powerlifting.

Edited by Schweinemann

It is quite simple. Weightlifting is all about explosive power while powerlifting is about maximum power. Weightlifters are nowhere as "strong" as powerlifters. With strong i mean, they have not the same maximum power like a powerlifter, but they are fast and can speed up the weights they lift which usually the powerlifter cant.

Another thing is the technique. Weightlifting is a highly technical sport and you need at least some months or even longer to learn a proper technique or you will end up injured. If you have no serious coach who will show you how to snatch, the angle you need and all the stuff, then you are asking for problems.

I do not know your age and what you are aiming for, but i think you can hold your max power for longer years, while your explosiveness suffers at least from your mid 30s. If it just a hobby, you can try it and decide. If you wanna be competitive and you aim for something more, while you are over 30, then i would stick to powerlifting.

Weightlifters can be incredibly strong too. Their lifts require more technique + much explosive strength and skill while the powerlifts are mainly only tests of simple brute strength. But that doesn't mean that weightlifters are nowhere as strong (try jerking 266kg lol). I found out that many weightlifters like vasily or rezazadeh (the SHW's mainly) or even 95kilo lifters are all around strength spoken actually stronger or have close to the all around strength as a lot of powerlifters really. Search vasily alexeev or even mang and patera. They could all press over 230k standing and could squat great weights too.

Weightlifters can be incredibly strong too. Their lifts require more technique + much explosive strength and skill while the powerlifts are mainly only tests of simple brute strength. But that doesn't mean that weightlifters are nowhere as strong (try jerking 266kg lol). I found out that many weightlifters like vasily or rezazadeh (the SHW's mainly) or even 95kilo lifters are all around strength spoken actually stronger or have close to the all around strength as a lot of powerlifters really. Search vasily alexeev or even mang and patera. They could all press over 230k standing and could squat great weights too.

Well, i never said that they are not strong. I just stated, that they do not have the same high end max power of a powerlifter (in terms of squat and deadlifting). Im talking also about the pro elite level and not on a hobby level. I know many weightlifters personally and none of them can squat or lift as much as their powerlifter counterparts. Of course, a powerlifter can not clean and jerk or snatch even close to a weightlifter. Its two worlds and the traing methods are way different. You can not really compare it.

By the way, the pressing from the old times is out of programm for good reason. It basically destroyed everyones back, it was simply crazy and no real pressing anymore - it was more of a leaning back and push forward.

Its also a matter of perspective. Some people find a 550 kilo squat impressive, while others think of a 260 clean and jerk. I do not think you can compare it and both is impressive as hell. But to be honest, to me the 300 kilo weightlifting squat is way more impressive than those supported 400 kilo powerlifting sumostyle squats - its a totally different level.

I was simply refering to the post of natanelshmilov and told him the difference. No more no less...

i been training like amture bodybuilder + little powerlifting 3 years now i want to try something new i mean or powerlifting or weight lifting I wanted you Explain me what are the differences between powerlifting and weightlifting and benefits of each one and this Types of strength ?

hi natanelshmiloy,

To answer your qeustion,

Powerlifting = training muscle contraction strength in big movements wich incorporates a lot of muscle mass. You should know what caint of muscles and strength is tested here.

Weightlifting = a lot of explosive strength and muscle. Thus mainly in the area of pulling weights from the ground overhead. You will gain a lot of strength in especially the> upperback and shoulders and legs< and actually pretty much everything else. You will also learn technique of weightlifting(but weightlifting is much more dangerous than powerlifting though).

Comparison. Both are actually pretty much something else but still they train a lot of the same muscles. Simply spoken Powerlifting has bigger compound movements where more weight can be moved> so more muscle mass is involved. And in olympic lifting you will really learn to master a big weight all overhead explosively. But if I should choose from only cleaning and jerking and snatching or only squatting deadlifting and benching I would really choose for cleans and jerks and snatches and than I mean the power versions so the power cleans and push presses and power snatches. Much more functional strength in terms of picking up a weight (like a rock anyway) will be trained.

Well, i never said that they are not strong. I just stated, that they do not have the same high end max power of a powerlifter (in terms of squat and deadlifting). Im talking also about the pro elite level and not on a hobby level. I know many weightlifters personally and none of them can squat or lift as much as their powerlifter counterparts. Of course, a powerlifter can not clean and jerk or snatch even close to a weightlifter. Its two worlds and the traing methods are way different. You can not really compare it.

By the way, the pressing from the old times is out of programm for good reason. It basically destroyed everyones back, it was simply crazy and no real pressing anymore - it was more of a leaning back and push forward.

Its also a matter of perspective. Some people find a 550 kilo squat impressive, while others think of a 260 clean and jerk. I do not think you can compare it and both is impressive as hell. But to be honest, to me the 300 kilo weightlifting squat is way more impressive than those supported 400 kilo powerlifting sumostyle squats - its a totally different level.

I was simply refering to the post of natanelshmilov and told him the difference. No more no less...

In all around strength where im talking about and what really matters in determining how strong someone is (not just squat deadlift benchpress clean and jerk and snatch or any match of those) I find that some weightlifters have been incredibly strong and close to/or being the strongest man ever. I know that the press was cancelled due to a incredible amount of back leaning. But still alexeev was able to do 240kg that was as his PR O.O, and reding could really press 220 (or even more later) withouth much back leaning. Also in terms of squatting power with the SHW's. Look up yenaldiev or rahkmanov the russian squat monsters. I think that yenaldiev claimed a (olympic squat?) of about 450kg and rakhmanov even more @ 450-500 KGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On an interesting note, when I searched for the world strongest man ever the outcome might have been Sultan Rakhmanov. Hig legs were just Huge and he was pretty clean cut at 330 pounds and 6'2. To sum up his all around strength> He could squat (olympic I guess) 450-500kg (why not you say? look at his legs!), he could deadlift around 800 pounds probably, bench I have no clue lol probably about 450 pounds as he never really trained it. and he could snatch around 200kgs and clean and jerk around 250kg's. He could also pinch grip 2x 25kg plates. Pretty strong huh :D.

A deadlift of "only" 800 pounds is an automatic disqualification for strongest man ever. In fact, anyone who squats more than they deadlift will not get my vote for strongest man ever.

• 3 weeks later...

The way I think of it is that powerlifting is about absolute grinding strength vs olympic weightlifting being about power.

oly weightlifting is more useful for running, jumping, etc. after powerlifting for a while, i used to hurt my knees doing power movements like sprinting and running stairs (my guess is that my tendons were not used to that kind of stress).

if you are amateur why not try all the each one and pick and choose the exercises you like? imo powerlifting is more fun.