Might Mitts Results?

Eric Roussin

While there are thousands of anvils throughout the USA and England the Jowett Anvil used in the competitition , the sled pinch block, and Monster Bell, Were NOT available(used,or trained on) prior to the competition this year OR last year.EVERY competitor had an equal opportunity to find equipment(anvils included) to train on. The Inch Bell replica used was the very one used by Mark Henry in his historic 2002 AOBS clean and press fully weighed and documented, and has been at least,felt, deadlifted and carried by all the competitors over a number of year with well over a hundred more Inch Replica's scattered throughout the country. Yes, being a devoted grip enthusiast I DO have anvils, plenty of them but NOT THE one used in the competition. My anvils are available to the public the entire day long.

I really do suggest after reading statements from Dr, Todd , myself, or anyone of the dozen or so directly involved with the Mighty Mitts,that Mr. Gardner or anyone else then re- read before comments are just blurted out.Your negativity for whatever reason while not helping your chances on the stage and certainly might effect others opportunity in the future. If you don't care perhaps they do.. The Arnold's event is THE largest one of its kind in the world with more competitors and countries represented than the Olympics. Being given ANY consideration, prizes ,stage time,.... anything of that sort is an honor in itself. I don't hear any complaining from the one's that showed,and did their best in light of any situation thrown before them.Efforts will be made each year to get better... but,it takes time and support. Sincerely, Richard Sorin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Love

• Kashtan

• mobsterone

• Cannon

Andrew and Ross did very well :mosher

I on the other hand did not...and to top it all off...on the way back to the airport I was in a wreck and the taxi I was in was totaled. We hit some ice on a bridge and went into a spin at 65 mph...and hit the guard rail on my side. We got out of the taxi and about 15 minutes later another car did the same thing and smashed into the taxi that i just got out of and demolished it. I have severe whiplash and VERY sore...and the taxi driver was not hurt. I am okay and taking a lot of advil.

Congrats again to Andrew and Ross.

Chad

I'm glad you are still alive Chad; I'm guessing that your strength training helped it from being worse than it was. I think that if the taxi driver would have hit the guard rail on his side, he would be hurting more than you are. I hope you can get lots of good rest and that you have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Congratulations to all the competitors!

Richard, thank you for all your hard work and investment in time and money towards making this great event happen.

It's good to see the concerns of the Grip Community being taken seriously and given due weight. Surely it's possible to field such queries in an adult & businesslike fashion - not everything is a direct attack on the characters of those involved.

While there are thousands of anvils throughout the USA and England the Jowett Anvil used in the competitition , the sled pinch block, and Monster Bell, Were NOT available(used,or trained on) prior to the competition this year OR last year.EVERY competitor had an equal opportunity to find equipment(anvils included) to train on. The Inch Bell replica used was the very one used by Mark Henry in his historic 2002 AOBS clean and press fully weighed and documented, and has been at least,felt, deadlifted and carried by all the competitors over a number of year with well over a hundred more Inch Replica's scattered throughout the country. Yes, being a devoted grip enthusiast I DO have anvils, plenty of them but NOT THE one used in the competition. My anvils are available to the public the entire day long.

I really do suggest after reading statements from Dr, Todd , myself, or anyone of the dozen or so directly involved with the Mighty Mitts,that Mr. Gardner or anyone else then re- read before comments are just blurted out.Your negativity for whatever reason while not helping your chances on the stage and certainly might effect others opportunity in the future. If you don't care perhaps they do.. The Arnold's event is THE largest one of its kind in the world with more competitors and countries represented than the Olympics. Being given ANY consideration, prizes ,stage time,.... anything of that sort is an honor in itself. I don't hear any complaining from the one's that showed,and did their best in light of any situation thrown before them.Efforts will be made each year to get better... but,it takes time and support. Sincerely, Richard Sorin

I did not consider asking why the prizes were said to be tripled but were not a negative act. That no explanation was offered prior to my asking might be seen as wrong. Both views are personal interpretations. I would hope that asking such questions would not harm mine nor any other competitors opportunity to lift else we'd be back to the 50's again. A person asking questions should not then be refused an opportunity to lift because they asked. Nor do I feel my comments were blurted out. Indeed I waited a few days for some mention here and on the Ironmind forum. I'll remind you that I have both promoted events here in the UK and still act, for what it's worth, as secretary of the BHSA thus have and hopefully will continue to put something back myself. That said I did ask for myself rather than as any representative. I also did not preface my comments thus 'I am making a complaint about the prizes promised'. I referred to one statement, regarding event rules etc, made by Terry which stated $1000 per event prior to the event taking place which differed to what was posted here. If the competitors were told otherwise via email, at the event, by phone or in person then anyone looking here will bot have been privy to the information. Of course to find out one asks - then is corrected.

I clarified why I made the comment about the anvil - it's what was said during the interview Richard gave. You've clarified that he did NOT in fact lift on THE anvil but on AN anvil. But that's not what he said.

Richard,

Thank you very much for your efforts, both monetarily and time-wise to make the Mighty Mitts contest what it is. If people really knew how much of your personal resources go into making this contest what it is, then I think their perspective would be quite a bit different.

I am proud to say that I know you and Bert, and proud to say that I use your very fine products, with my personal favorites being the Roothog Sled and The Big Squeeze dumbbells. Your stuff is the best out there and built to last many lifetimes.

Thank you for your continued efforts and keep up the good work!

Steve

As before we're well aware. Richard wasn't the sponsor who pulled out. Not only does he support the GB but is involved in the back ground organizing, transportation, stage and back of stage crew (as earlier covers their expenses) and more.

I've just seen elsewhere that Brian has been informed by Terry that he will receive the $50k as promised. Both the strongman and MM get paid after the event.

Andrew and Ross did very well :mosher

I on the other hand did not...and to top it all off...on the way back to the airport I was in a wreck and the taxi I was in was totaled. We hit some ice on a bridge and went into a spin at 65 mph...and hit the guard rail on my side. We got out of the taxi and about 15 minutes later another car did the same thing and smashed into the taxi that i just got out of and demolished it. I have severe whiplash and VERY sore...and the taxi driver was not hurt. I am okay and taking a lot of advil.

Congrats again to Andrew and Ross.

Chad

Damn dude - glad you are ok for the most part.

Thanks for the video link Kashtan. I think the inch walk should go back to doubles. It looked like the weight was against some of the competitors thighs which I thought was against the rules.

Good point there was a lot of discussion about the Inch carry, A few years ago it was considered a nearly impossible feat to even deadlift them, and using that "big" of a weight in itself was a real problem for most of the competitors last year. The single bell carry was decided upon as a less"strength"dependent event and giving a chance to better level the field. The bells were in some cases carried high to prevent being dislodged by the legs hitting the bell. The bottom line was you could not place the bell on the front of the thigh and lift place on top and walk it along with the leg also to maintain a fairly level carry with no vertical hanging of the bell was watched for. I did verbally express during the actual event to the athletes to "keep it to the side". I saw none that abused the guidelines enough to be "instantly disqualified". A truly beautiful carry was executed by Wade Gillingham and Chad Woodall as well. If The double carry is truly better ( some of the real big guys said it was) perhaps we might return to that next year. I know anyone who has tried a one OR two hand Inch Replica carry knows by no means that it is easy task. Thanks, Richard Sorin

Training for last years double was HARD! I saw Wade's training log at the same time as I was undertaking my own efforts and we both had (his was always better than my own) days when pickups went well, or carries went well but the two combined... not so much.

I'm a fan of the double carry. I don't have the body-mass to effectively counter balance a single inch without leaning. The anvil carry could be done with a combined total for both hands for a greater distance and no questionable performances. I'm also for eliminating hitching on the axle. The pinch-block was a nice change, but footwork was more of a limiting factor than grip. I'm sure that will be adjusted for next year. Overall, I thought the performances by the athletes were better, events were better, Dennis Rogers announcing was better. Was 2011 better than 2010, YES. Will more improvements be made for next year? I believe there will. The has risen on all events, i'd expect the same to occur this year.

Well done to everyone who took part , and the organisers. All strong guys, but didn't Rich cheat on the inch carry? looks like he held against his body, almost resting on himself? or was this in the Rules?

Also can I ask how does one get an invite to the Mitts? Does it go by achievements or just random depending on who can make it there?

Hopefully we can get some other big names for next year, Laine Snook, Chris James, Nathan Holle, mr mobsterone again,Etc and of course the people who competed this year. Maybe have a open qualifier?

Chad , hope your ok mate. Sounds painfull, glad you made it out!!

Terry

Good point there was a lot of discussion about the Inch carry, A few years ago it was considered a nearly impossible feat to even deadlift them, and using that "big" of a weight in itself was a real problem for most of the competitors last year. The single bell carry was decided upon as a less"strength"dependent event and giving a chance to better level the field. The bells were in some cases carried high to prevent being dislodged by the legs hitting the bell. The bottom line was you could not place the bell on the front of the thigh and lift place on top and walk it along with the leg also to maintain a fairly level carry with no vertical hanging of the bell was watched for. I did verbally express during the actual event to the athletes to "keep it to the side". I saw none that abused the guidelines enough to be "instantly disqualified". A truly beautiful carry was executed by Wade Gillingham and Chad Woodall as well. If The double carry is truly better ( some of the real big guys said it was) perhaps we might return to that next year. I know anyone who has tried a one OR two hand Inch Replica carry knows by no means that it is easy task. Thanks, Richard Sorin

I appreciate the compliment Richard. I was disapointed that the rest of the competitors (other than Chad) had the bell against their bodies. I took the rule quite literal and trained to not touch my body - much harder physically and on the grip. But the biggest disapointment for me was the announcement that we would be doing one instead of two. Lets get back to two - I think everyone agrees on that. I also second what Andrew has said about the axle. It needs to be judged with powerlifting deadlift rules - no hitch, ramp, and a complete lockout. I was really impressed with how much everyone improved (except me) on that event and next year there will be no need to relax the rules. Pinch drag was a cool event that just wasn't dialed in yet. I would have liked it much heavier - maybe a rolling cart (car, 4-wheeler, etc) with a brake instead of a sled?? The anvil has become a signature event. That thing is an unforgiving beast. I didn't expect a problem picking it up this year as last year it was not an issue. I was focusing on walking and it cost me big time.

I appreciate the work Richard, Burt, and team Sorinex puts into this. Also Dennis Rogers, Pat Povialitis, Terry and Jan Todd, Kim Beckwith, and everyone else that is associated with the event. I hope to be back next year.

Wade

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.. I plan to train hard and hopefully be invited back next year to put up a much improved performance.

Im also all for double inch bell carry..