Might Mitts Results?

Eric Roussin

I'm confused about the prizes. Richard previously inferred they'd been tripled yet the blurb with the rules stated the same $1000 as last year. In Ironmind there's an equal confusion over the winners reported $50,000 plus a watch now being $45,000 plus a watch. Any updates/corrections?

Let's just say that all fell through. Very disappointing. I got $450.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Love

• Kashtan

• mobsterone

• Cannon

Can anyone confirm these as the Final standings?

Based on my understanding ....

1. Rich

2. Tex

3. Andrew

4. Ross

5. Odd

6. Woodall

7. Gillingham

I don't think the official results are out yet. This looks close but me and Chad flipped.

Guys, have a video or photo?

The prize fund was disappointed, as the weak informational support. There is still no official results.

Final Top 3 in order:

1st: Rich Williams

2nd: Andrew Durniat

3rd: Tex Henderson

I don't know the official breakdown after that. I hope to see video as well because I don't remember much of it.

Final Top 3 in order:

I don't know the official breakdown after that. I hope to see video as well because I don't remember much of it.

Good job Andrew - I didn't know you beat Tex.

I'm confused about the prizes. Richard previously inferred they'd been tripled yet the blurb with the rules stated the same $1000 as last year. In Ironmind there's an equal confusion over the winners reported $50,000 plus a watch now being $45,000 plus a watch. Any updates/corrections?

Let's just say that all fell through. Very disappointing. I got $450.

Sorry for sounding like an ignorant ass - what did you get the $450 for?

Final Top 3 in order:

Thank you. I beat him in both events on Saturday. You beat him in the block sled drag as well which allowed me the sole possession of 2nd place.

Final Top 3 in order:

Thank you. I beat him in both events on Saturday. You beat him in the block sled drag as well which allowed me the sole possession of 2nd place.

ANDREW,

GREAT GREAT GREAT! This is a huge showing. 2nd place among these monsters!

Andrew is a MONSTER and the fact that he does all this at a normal humanoid's bw and without 9" hands motivates the heck out of me.

$450 for 4th... I believe it was supposed to be $1000.

Im not trying to sound ungrateful so please, no one take it that way.

No issue there. But my understanding of the prize structure was that it was the same as last year. In other words per event win and not a place. You won an event (I assume) so should have got $1000. If it's based on placings that's different. It's still an issue that announcements of better prizes were made and then not given. An organizer or promoter (or someone deeply involved in the set up) announcing that the prize money had tripled would have been jumping the gun in doing so if such monies had not been secured.

Equally if a sponsor pulled out or reneged on a deal they are equally at fault. As there seems to be some confusion over what the Strongman competitors were told ($45k given against $50k promised) it's a big problem.

I'm sure the Strongman and Mighty Mitts money was to come from other sources but the general admission to the Arnold went up from $10 to $15 per person. That's a rather significant increase I think and hard to justify in my mind.

Congrats, Andrew. To finish second out of a group with that much talent and strength is a very impressive feat. Way to go!

Andrew and Ross did very well :mosher

I on the other hand did not...and to top it all off...on the way back to the airport I was in a wreck and the taxi I was in was totaled. We hit some ice on a bridge and went into a spin at 65 mph...and hit the guard rail on my side. We got out of the taxi and about 15 minutes later another car did the same thing and smashed into the taxi that i just got out of and demolished it. I have severe whiplash and VERY sore...and the taxi driver was not hurt. I am okay and taking a lot of advil.

Congrats again to Andrew and Ross.

Chad

Andrew and Ross did very well :mosher

I on the other hand did not...and to top it all off...on the way back to the airport I was in a wreck and the taxi I was in was totaled. We hit some ice on a bridge and went into a spin at 65 mph...and hit the guard rail on my side. We got out of the taxi and about 15 minutes later another car did the same thing and smashed into the taxi that i just got out of and demolished it. I have severe whiplash and VERY sore...and the taxi driver was not hurt. I am okay and taking a lot of advil.

Congrats again to Andrew and Ross.

Chad

Rest up big man. See you soon.

Congrats to all the competitors - what a lineup! Sorry that neither Jedd or Steve G. were able to make it.

@Chad - glad you were only banged up and not worse. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Congrats to all the competitors - what a lineup! Sorry that neither Jedd or Steve G. were able to make it.

@Chad - glad you were only banged up and not worse. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks

Chad, glad that nothing very bad happened to you and you are OK! Keep up training hard - you are the grip master :mosher

The contest showed some tremendous talent and new heights in personal and world levels with great exposure for each contestant AND grip in general.. After the contest I was told that the intended increase in prize money had been a solid pledge and at the last moment a still unnamed sponsor just backed out. The huge prize Dr. Todd had worked so very hard to secure for the contestants just evaporated. I would tell you one thing he would never risk "his word" to the guys if he didn't feel confident that the "check was in the mail" . Still,I think in the end with some generous addition from "somewhere" an additional amount was paid out thus exceeding year #1's total prize. I suggest if anyone has a problem they should direct their exact concerns to Dr. Todd.In addition if you have a problem with me or the equipment supplied used please step forward as well. If truly it is "all about the money" perhaps some of the more talented people should persue pro sports and forget "getting with it" for the pure joy of success. In addition to the Mighty Mitts committee,I have along with my company put many hours,material,travel time, expense, personal funds, and effort for not one cent charged but, as a good feeling to give back some of the joy I have had from grip over the years. I am sorry the prizes available weren't a million dollars because the effort these strong men showed was at least (to me) worth it. Richard Sorin

The contest showed some tremendous talent and new heights in personal and world levels with great exposure for each contestant AND grip in general.. After the contest I was told that the intended increase in prize money had been a solid pledge and at the last moment a still unnamed sponsor just backed out. The huge prize Dr. Todd had worked so very hard to secure for the contestants just evaporated. I would tell you one thing he would never risk "his word" to the guys if he didn't feel confident that the "check was in the mail" . Still,I think in the end with some generous addition from "somewhere" an additional amount was paid out thus exceeding year #1's total prize. I suggest if anyone has a problem they should direct their exact concerns to Dr. Todd.In addition if you have a problem with me or the equipment supplied used please step forward as well. If truly it is "all about the money" perhaps some of the more talented people should persue pro sports and forget "getting with it" for the pure joy of success. In addition to the Mighty Mitts committee,I have along with my company put many hours,material,travel time, expense, personal funds, and effort for not one cent charged but, as a good feeling to give back some of the joy I have had from grip over the years. I am sorry the prizes available weren't a million dollars because the effort these strong men showed was at least (to me) worth it. Richard Sorin

Hi Richard, I chatted with the back stage guys last year and was made aware of just how much you put in (the crews rooms, meals and weekend expenses for example he covers). Do not take any comments personally but as suggestions on making future events more successful. Since the last MM we have seen the LA event add some cash to the pot and when it looked like this years MM was going to triple the winnings... well I was happy for the guys. A great reward for their efforts.

However, not only did Terry Todd announce the rules which inferred (perhaps copied from last year) that the guys would get the same deal - $1000 per event and not the way it was broken down this year but it also seems that $50,000 (+ watch) was promised to the Arnold Strongman winner (announced over the mike) and this became $45,000 when the envelope was opened. As a fan of Iron Game history I've seen the stories of how this used to happen back in the 70's all the time. Especially at bodybuilding competitions. One doesn't wish to see this happen again - history repeating itself. If no one asks then no one explains what happened to change the amounts.

As for the comment about switching to pro-sports... c'mon. Only TWO competitions, mentioned above, have put ANY money on the table worth a mention. That means 90% of the events and 95% of those competing get no cash at all. In other words pretty much all anyone does is for free. Few, if any, of those known to the grip community make an actual living worth a mention directly from grip. So that again means most do it for less than that which would pay the bills.

Regarding the equipment: In an on-stage interview shown on Youtube I think Rich Williams admits to training with the Anvil. That will be an advantage - mind you being crazy strong also helps. Does he and Tex also get to practice on the giant barbell too?