Fingertip Push-ups

cookieinthewoods

I'm wanting to strengthen my fingers by practising fingertip push-ups. I struggle with 1 push-up before my fingers give way, can anyone recommend tips or some exercises to assist/compliment the movement, please?

Thanks

• 11 months later...

I know this is an ultra-old post... but against the wall worked pretty well for me. Work down to one finger and have a piece of tape to mark your distance from the wall then pull the tape out farther and farther until you feel comfortable on your knees.

Be careful doing these. Actually, just do not do them. Coming from someone who has rock climbed for over 15 years, I have seen what happens from extending the finger unnaturally, known as a crimping position in climbing, and from over abuse over the years it literally destroys your tendons.

When your fingers are on the ground, the first joint closest to the tip gets overstrained and the tendon that runs under the joint will stretch and can eventually snap.

There is no reason to do them and there are plenty of alternative grip workouts.

Doesn't that only happen if you're crimping the finger at the end?

Full crimping is very hard on the joints, which is why you never train full crimping, solely open hand crimping. Pushups replicate this same stress if you're doing them on the fingertips and it's just not healthy for the joints. Just my two cents from what I have seen from climbing injuries due to over-stressing tendons and ligaments in the finger joints.

They are hard on the connective tissue, but as long as you don't crimp then the stress is on the tendon, ligament, and bone instead of the actual joint. So... I guess I'm just not fully understanding what you're getting at... if you're not crimping then whats the problem?

They are hard on the connective tissue, but as long as you don't crimp then the stress is on the tendon, ligament, and bone instead of the actual joint. So... I guess I'm just not fully understanding what you're getting at... if you're not crimping then whats the problem?

When you perform a fingertip pushup, all the weight is going through the hand, into the joints and bones, the structure that is holding you up. To stabilize the "structure" you have ligaments, tendons, and other connective tissues. Thumbs automatically hyperextend in fingertip pushup position regardless of what you do. It's the mechanics of the hand. The other fingers if not strong enough will also hyperextend, which causes over extension of connective tissue, which is blatantly obvious why you should avoid that.

Also, if you are not familiar with anatomy, the human hand bone structure is not very dense. That is why most people who get into a fist fight will break something in the hand because the bone density is very low, and also very fragile because the bones are thin and complex. Fingers are not made for the impact unless adapted to the stress, but the joint tissue is not as resilient as the other tissue and bone, so the joints will fail before any other part of the finger. You may rupture a tendon or tear it from the wrist where it connects to the muscles in the forearm.

The interphalangeal structure is not as rigid as you may think, especially the distal phalanges. The farther out you go(finger tip), the more likely the chance of injury. Same concept as your elbow. The further your elbow gets from your side, the higher the risk of a shoulder injury.

Just minimize the weight you are putting on your hands in the pushup position because it's unnatural. 'Claw hand position" as an opposition force can lead to arthritis in the thumb and three phalanges. The hand is the most common place for injuries on the human body, and highest relevance for arthritis as well. Care for your hands.

Either baby the pushups or dont do them. Its a meaningless exercise and there are plenty of healthy hand exercises, alternatively.

I know a bit about this. ;) I am a biochemist and continuing for a doctorate.

I dont know biochemistry, but I do know that Jack Lalanne was an old guy:

http://www.mindforfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Jack-Lalanne-Fingertip-Pushup.png

85 in the picture... according to the picture.

I think that they're a fine exercise, as long as you follow proper form and common sense and for the love of god take it slowly... you're working with connective tissue here.

One last thing... I use them but like to cycle them in and out with other exercises.

I dont know biochemistry, but I do know that Jack Lalanne was an old guy:

http://www.mindforfi...rtip-Pushup.png

85 in the picture... according to the picture.

I think that they're a fine exercise, as long as you follow proper form and common sense and for the love of god take it slowly... you're working with connective tissue here.

One last thing... I use them but like to cycle them in and out with other exercises.

Cool photo! Actually that's a good idea to do them into a foam block like him, because it will stabilize the fingers and be a little more friendly than the hard ground.