Deadlifts On A 3" Bar (mixed Grip)

BigJan85

I decided to do some mixed grip deads on a 3" bar at my gym tonight. I went up to 415 for a few sets of 3. My grip wasn't quite as stressed as I thought it would be but I felt like it was harder to pull the weight than 415 normally feels on a standard bar. I'm guessing it has something to do with the center of mass being farther away from my shins with the fat bar. Anyways, I just wondered if anyone else has tried these and what they thought about them.

Just a little word of advice for what it's worth, be careful. A couple of years ago I was doing these and because of the stress it puts on your underhand grip it makes it very dangerous. The way your underhand hand has to grip the thick bar it puts an undo amount of stress on your bicep. My result....a tore bicep in my left arm. Bicep actually exploded as the surgeon stated, tore from the bone taking a piece of bone with it and actually frayed the ends of the muscle as it let go. Set me back for some time. Please be careful, I would hate for you to experience a moronic injury like I had by not taking the physics of the lift into account.

Joe Wilson

Edited by House

Just a little word of advice for what it's worth, be careful. A couple of years ago I was doing these and because of the stress it puts on your underhand grip it makes it very dangerous. The way your underhand hand has to grip the thick bar it puts an undo amount of stress on your bicep. My result....a tore bicep in my left arm. Bicep actually exploded as the surgeon stated, tore from the bone taking a piece of bone with it and actually frayed the ends of the muscle as it let go. Set me back for some time. Please be careful, I would hate for you to experience a moronic injury like I had by not taking the physics of the lift into account.

Joe Wilson

Wow that sounds like a hell of a bicep tear!! I did actually notice the increased amount of stress placed on the bicep while i was doing these. It wasn't anything uncomfortable at that weight but I'm sure the nearer I got to 500 pounds, it would begin to be pretty damn noticeable. Thanks for the advice man. I appreciate it and will take more care if I perform this lift again.

Nice pulling man! Matt Graham pulled 600lbs at 275lbs bodyweight in 2001 (age: 24 years old) at the 2001 Super Grip Challenge. That's the highest poundage I've seen listed anywhere - as far as contest setting especially. I believe he was an even better deadlifter a few years later but he might not have raised the bar on this lift because I doubt he ever trained it.

Nice pulling man! Matt Graham pulled 600lbs at 275lbs bodyweight in 2001 (age: 24 years old) at the 2001 Super Grip Challenge. That's the highest poundage I've seen listed anywhere - as far as contest setting especially. I believe he was an even better deadlifter a few years later but he might not have raised the bar on this lift because I doubt he ever trained it.

Thanks Ben. Yeah I saw that vid of his 600lb pull on youtube. The dude is a beast for sure. Do you know if the bar he used was knurled or not? I would kinda like to see what I could do for a one rep max on this lift but now the threat of a bicep tear has me kinda weary. I'm thinking I would be good for around 465 or so.

Bicep tears scare me lol.. I have never used a 3" but have pulled/held 680 mixed grip(high rack pull) on my 2". Didnt feel any stress on my biceps but I dont know if i want to do that anymore after reading what house said..

I was using the smooth axle bar here at Sorinex. Weight wasn't extremely heavy, 535lbs. Didn't feel any strain at all before my bicep let go. Sounded like you pulled a set of blinds up really fast. Richard came out of his office and said he knew what happened by the look on my face. I was a little pissed at my stupidity to say the least. I guess you live and learn. Needless to say I won't be trying that again any time soon....like ever!