A Request From All Plate Curlers Out There

John Wood

If it wouldnt be too difficult, can someone who can plate curl a 45 post a video of this act on the web? I am not able to do it and a friend of mine doesnt think it can be done by a human being. I would like to prove him wrong. Thanks in advance. -JW

See thats the thing, he says that anyone can swing a 45 up to their shoulder. The pictures really cant disprove this. A video showing the lift in a slow controlled manner would shut him up.

The guys in the UK don't have video cameras so they are out for what you are looking for. :laugh

Had to throw that dig in there guys. ;) If you look at all the video that's been done, I believe there isn't one iota from the UK. The best is a sequence of pics from Mobster.

See thats the thing, he says that anyone can swing a 45 up to their shoulder. The pictures really cant disprove this. A video showing the lift in a slow controlled manner would shut him up.

Amen, actually Arne had an interesting idea buried in one of his posts....how about doing a plate curl on a preacher bench? That might conceivably keep any momentum jockeys down. Whatcha think?

I think strict 45lb plate curls are about as rare as unicorns.....anybody can throw one up.

Im not sure anyone can answer this but how strict were the plate curls done for the pictures in the gallery? Also, for those who can plate curl a 45, or those who have seen it done,how strict would you say they are? How about plate curls with a 35?

John, the pics I have seen of big plate curls all show the plate tilted way down and not held up in line with the forearm. There again what are the rules for the lift? Holding the plate in line with the forearm is my idea of a strict lift, and of course no swing.

Guest Mikael Siversson

I believe it is possible. David Horne is about 50 per cent stronger than Arne in the TTWC, which is a very strict measure of wrist strength, and I have seen Arne doing many very strict reps with a 15 kg plate in the preacher wrist curl (wrist straigth). However, long fingers is a huge advantage in a plate curl and David (and Nick) has rather short fingers. The ideal man would be one with David's wrist strength but with long fingers.

The picture of Nick plate curling is now gone (along with his 2 other pics). He emailed me and wanted them removed. I can only assume because of this thread.

Guest Mikael Siversson

Only Nick knows the reason. Nick has nothing to prove really. He did a table top wrist curl of 275 kg in competition. Place that weight in your palms and you will get an idea about his wrist power. You may not like him but please show him some respect.

Only Nick knows the reason. Nick has nothing to prove really. He did a table top wrist curl of 275 kg in competition. Place that weight in your palms and you will get an idea about his wrist power. You may not like him but please show him some respect.

What are you talking about (respect?)? This thread comes about. I get an email from him asking for his pictures to be removed (with him mentioning something about people talking about his lift). And I did. It's no coincidence. No one even mentioned anything specific about his lift either.

He did a table top wrist curl of 275 kg in competition

This statement made me realise that plate curls have very little to do with wrist strength: it's all about finger strength and particularly finger tips strength!

Let's remember that the torque exerted on the wrist by an object is:

Torque=(distance of the centre of gravity of the object from the wrist)x(weight of the object)

Since the center of gravity of a plate is located at the center of the plate itself ( axial symmetry) the distance is very short (radius of the plate approximately) and the weight is only 45lbs the torque exerted on the wrist is low. The torque is much higher for sledge-hammer lifts for example.

Edited by amaury

Just like other exercises there is also technique involved. Maybe Brian Carlton can add to this since I believe he did the TTWC for the first time cold at the grip competition.

Guest Mikael Siversson

It is mainly a matter of finding the right spot in the palm. If you put it to close to the wrist, the bar will roll down onto your wrists which is very painful.

Guest Mikael Siversson

He did a table top wrist curl of 275 kg in competition

This statement made me realise that plate curls have very little to do with wrist strength: it's all about finger strength and particularly finger tips strength!

Let's remember that the torque exerted on the wrist by an object is:

Torque=(distance of the centre of gravity of the object from the wrist)x(weight of the object)

Since the center of gravity of a plate is located at the center of the plate itself ( axial symmetry) the distance is very short (radius of the plate approximately) and the weight is only 45lbs the torque exerted on the wrist is low. The torque is much higher for sledge-hammer lifts for example.

The correlation seems in fact to be relatively strong. David Horne and Nick Mckinless are both very strong at ttwc's and are also both very good at plate curling. In a strict plate curl, where the wrist is perfectly straight, wrist strength is extremely important.

Good Plate Curl = Very strong wrists Very strong fingers.

Horne and McKinless have both of these.

As for plate curl form, how slow would they have to be done to please the "strict form" proponents? I can understand why Nick would want his pictures removed - they were supplied in the days before such verification was standard on this board - now it appears only video will do....

I can understand why Nick would want his pictures removed - they were supplied in the days before such verification was standard on this board - now it appears only video will do....

I can't, it's a good example of a plate curl. It is the best example of a plate curl that I've seen a pic of. A video is not required, John Wood simply asked for one.

I haven't got a video recorder.

In the past I have played with all sorts of plate curls, and have found them very useful, especially for armwrestling. Anyway, I suppose the slowest I have done them was whilst wearing an armblaster and having my back and bum against a wall. I curled 2 x 15kilo discs like this for reps and could bring the discs down to mid position and pause it there for you to put a tin on top of the disc.

David

I can understand why Nick would want his pictures removed - they were supplied in the days before such verification was standard on this board - now it appears only video will do....

I can't, it's a good example of a plate curl. It is the best example of a plate curl that I've seen a pic of. A video is not required, John Wood simply asked for one.

Gorilla Hands plate curl is also the best I've seen. Strict form or not, Nick and Gorilla Hands are "gorillas" :D to have that type of wrist and finger strength. :bow

Just to clarify, I meant no disrespect to Nick Mckinless or anyone else regarding their feats. I am not doubting that the pictures are genuine and are what they say they are. I would only like a video to shut my friend up concerning this feat. I know it can be done but evidently , without video proof , my friend refuses to acknowledge this. If this is not possible then its not a big deal. Thank You -John Wood

Yes, I had never done the TTWC before last year's British Grip Champs. To be sure, both the TTWC and a plate curl require good finger and wrist strength. I'm not sure that I'm willing to agree with a TTWC being a very strict measure of wrist strength though, if 'very strict' is intended to mean that the wrist is isolated and the only contributor to whether or not the lift is successful. I say this because the closer you can place the barbell to your wrist the better leverage you are working with on the TTWC. A great way to achieve this leverage advantage is with a thumbless grip and four very strong fingers. It makes sense then that long fingers will also be a benefit in the TTWC, given that those long fingers are strong. As a thumbless grip is allowed in competition, the bar isn't placed so much in the palm of the hand as it is as close to the edge of the base of the hand.

Evidence for the importance of finger strength in the TTWC can be found from Jim Wylie's minor injury in preparation for the contest last year. Had his fingers been stronger the bar would not have slipped from his grasp, causing the bar to roll onto his wrists. And at the same time had he placed the bar just a fraction of an inch farther away from his wrists he would likely have had the finger strength to hold the bar, but at the expense of creating a leverage disadvantage. Such is life as we push the envelope of greater poundages. Also, none of the 'good' poundages we've seen in the TTWC could ever be achieved without using the thumbless technique.

Another technique I picked up on during the contest was the importance of a slow negative before given the 'lift' comand from the judge. I was performing the negative portion of the lift much too quickly and bringing the complete back of my hand to a rest on the table. At least as it was judged in 2002, as soon as any portion of the back of your hands touched the table you were given the 'lift' command- thus the advantage of a very slow negative. Of course, I learned this after all of my attempts were used up :cry

I want to add too that Nick's plate curl that was posted in the gallery was the best pic I have ever seen of this feat.

BC.

For some reason a couple people think I was "disrespecting" Nick. By doing what? I never questioned his lift. Never have. Never will. I thought it was a great lift then and still do. It was also good enough proof for the new rules.

I still haven't seen anyone "doubt" his lift in this thread (at least from what I can tell) so I still wonder who was spouting bull to Nick about his lift being questioned.