Ronnie Coleman Grip Challenge

Paul Knight

Even though I don't really feel like doing another grip contest already, I promised Brian Dobson, last year, that I would do one at the Ronnie Coleman Classic next time around ... for those of you that don't know, for the last couple years Eric/Rex and I had a grip "booth" set up for people to come by and try out different grip items to kinda get grip out there ... and this year we will be having a grip contest instead.

When?

April 2nd 2011

Where?

The Mesquite Convention Center/Hampton Inn

1700 Rodeo Dr.

Mesquite, TX 75185

Time?

TBA ... but maybe around 11-12

Events:

Subject to change as I'm still juggling the events in my mind, but I will be solid on them soon as the comp is only ~2 months out

1st event

Two Hands Pinch on the "Euro"

2nd event

Grippers on the Vulcan - 20mm block set

3rd event

Rolling Thunder

That's it

I'm not hauling tons of Medley items all the way to Mesquite to setup day of and then haul them all back same day after a comp ... not gonna do it. lol

there will be only 3 attempts on each and also it will be rising bar except on the Vulcan as there is no weight having to be loaded or unloaded on it.

Scoring:

I will be using the scoring system from gripsport.org ... basically first place of an event gets 100 points and everyone else will be awarded points based on a percentage of the 1st place lift. example: if Ross pulls 300 on the Rolling thunder for 1st in that event, he is awarded 100 points and then Eric pulls 250 on the RT .... 250 is 83.33 percent of 300, so Ryan will be awarded 83 points. Make sense?

Entry fee:

$40 by March 14th ... ANY entry fees after that date will be $55 ... You can NOT pay at the door as Brian is going to have your name on a list so that you can get in the building, however you can pay as late as March 31st, which again, will be $55

you can paypal to gripcerts@gmail.com or if you don't feel like setting up a paypal account you can PM me to make other arrangements

Divisions/Classes:

Probably have Women's, Novice and Elite, but I may just call the Novice division "Open" ... this also TBA

I will add more details later, I just wanted to get this up as soon as I can because it's around the corner

Edited by Paul Knight

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• Ross Love

• Sher

• Bigdeze

300... Whoa, no way lol.

not with that attitude ...

haha

I'm going to try to make it back over there for it.

I'm going to try to make it back over there for it.

sweet ... you can stay at my house again brutha ...

but when we play poker that night, the buy'ins will be $20 instead of $5 .. bwahahaha

Count me and my old man in :mosher I'm coming for a Monster Euro!

what about your training partner? ... you gonna talk him into trying? ... sounds like he's got a mean RT lift

I will ask Josh, but id be very suprised if he did... I may be able to put 2 or 3 more guys from our gym to come with me though.

Thad be cool .... the more the merrier

Events are solid!

first event: 2 hands pinch on the Euro

second event: 20mm block set on the Vulcan

third event: Rolling Thunder per Ironmind rules

3 attempts on everything and it will be rising bar ... hopefully, we'll be done in about 4hrs instead of 8

Warm-ups at 10am and comp starts @ 10:30

I have the entry form filled out, I just need Brian Dobson to proof the indemnity language .. after which I'll post it

here's a link to a little info on the Ronnie Colemen Classic ... http://www.metroflexgym.com/events.htm ... once Brian proofs the entry form, it will be posted in the events section of the Ronnie Coleman Classic page.

BTW, I requested from Brian that we place the Grip contest next to the armwrestling at the RCC... he agreed that it should be by it ... hell yeah!

Edited by Paul Knight

We have our first sponsor:

#1. David Horne's World-of-Grip

BTW, Adam Glass was kinda bummed out not getting to meet Ronnie Coleman at the FTW Metroflex, but if you come to the Classic, you have a good shot at meeting him here. Below is a video I took of Ronnie after I handed him a COC #3 at the Ronnie Coleman Classic (2009)

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, any word on who's going to be in the line up?

If I were to go by who's paid, we only have a few competitors.

#1. Chris Dezendorf

#2. Chris Castanon

#3. Eric Milfeld

#4. Paul Knight

... that's it so far

quite a few other have said they are coming though, but everytime I mention their names a few don't even show up, so I'll stick w/the paying list

P.S. the early entry fee of $40.00 will expire soon ... in just another couple weeks .... after that it goes to $55. Don't forget!

Paul, I sent Cody's entry fee to you today.

I'll know within a week if Shane is competing also.

I'll see you there with camera gear ready to shoot.

Can't wait!!!

Paul, I sent Cody's entry fee to you today.

I'll know within a week if Shane is competing also.

I'll see you there with camera gear ready to shoot.

Can't wait!!!

Yes and a BIG thanks to Joe Musselwhite for helping out with the photography ... Joe's pics are mighty awesome

Paul, I appreciate the kind compliment on my photography.

Ross, I'm working towards competing at some grip contests soon.

I enjoy photography nearly as much as I do grip so there you have it. LOL!

Look forward to taking some good shots of all the competitors

and the grip tools being used.

See you there!!!