New #3

Rick Walker

I got 2 new grippers today-a #2 and a #3. The #2 is a little bit harder than my old #2-but not much. I did notice, however, that the handle opposite the dogleg is about 2 or 3 mm longer than the other handle when they are touching?

The new #3 is easier. I closed it out of the packaging and I closed it easier than I do my old #3 when I am chalked and motivated. This was just take it out, set it, and close it. Wannagrip was right. And after seasoning-it will become easier yet. I am disappointed as I was hopeing to get a harder one! YUCK! I will not be certifying on this one-I will use my original single stamped #3.

I hope the standards get tightened soon-

Rick Walker :rock

Edited by Rick Walker

I got 2 new grippers today-a #2 and a #3. The #2 is a little bit harder than my old #2-but not much. I did notice, however, that the handle opposite the dogleg is about 2 or 3 mm longer than the other handle when they are touching?

The new #3 is easier. I closed it out of the packaging and I closed it easier than I do my old #3 when I am chalked and motivated. This was just take it out, set it, and close it. Wannagrip was right. And after seasoning-it will become easier yet. I am disappointed as I was hopeing to get a harder one! YUCK! I will not be certifying on this one-I will use my original single stamped #3.

I hope the standards get tightened soon-

So much for what was posted the other day on tightning up gripper variations. :ohmy

Rick,

How old is your old #3? My new #3 was quite a bit harder than my old one and i've closed some others that were newer than my old one that were much easier.

Wade

I believe I got my first #3 in 1999.

Rick

I hear that the Elites are slightly harder than the #3,smaybe you should try one of those :D

Howabout scalping your new #3 for beyond the range crushes.

It is true that the grippers are like a box of chocies :D

My BBE is about 20-30% harder than both of my #3s. I modified it ala Tom Black and it is tough to close with 3/4 of an inch extension added to each handle.

I can close my new #3-but there is no way I could cut it for BTR work on KTA. Between negatives with the #4 and BBSE the high volume I reach, I would never be able to exert enough force for it to equal an overcrush! Not yet anyway.

Last week I had the opportunity to try a new #3. It was vastly easier than my own 3 which must be around 3 years old now. There again all this does not matter to me as I have not yet decided to get certified. Like Rick I prefer my hard #3. I am not not looking for the easy way or to deceive myself.

If at best you can bench press 200kgs*3 then you'll probably not be able to bench 220kgs*1. But does it mean that bench pressing 200kgs is vastly easier than bench pressing 220kgs ? :unsure

In your example, the difference between 200 and 220 kgs. is only 10%. So even though one can be lifted and the other not, a difference of 10% cannot be said to be vast. PDA tested many grippers, and the variation was far greater than 10%. The 3 I tried was barely harder than my own #2.

Mikeal

How does the 437 compare to your #3. Do you think it would be equivalent to a hard #3 in your opinion?

"The 3 I tried was barely harder than my own #2. "

Would you sell it then ?

The #2 of course :tongue

Seriously John, it's amazing cuz the #3 i tried ( 3 of them inclusding mine, i also tried 5 different #2s) were almost identical: seem's like we've been lucky ! :mellow

"You would not want to certify with an easy gripper would you"

I wouldn't care, really ! I fully agree with what you said in another thread concerning the fact we are taking grippers too seriously.

i'll certify on the #3 i received because i don't want to spend another 20$ for something i already have, for one... ;)

Guest Mikael Siversson
Mikeal

How does the 437 compare to your #3. Do you think it would be equivalent to a hard #3 in your opinion?

Jim,

Yes, my best guess is that the 437 is the equivalent of a hard #3. I have a #3 that is equally hard but that one is the hardest #3 out of about a dozen that I have come across. Arne's #3 that we are rating at 3.00 in the LGC is average. Half of the #3's I have tested have been easier than that one and the other half harder.

Guest Youngguy

You know some times you got to look at the variable that the knurling on your old #3 is more worn out. I find that the brand new knurling make a gripper easy to tear into with full might. My #3 is hard because of the worn knurling. I usually chalk my hands up allot, and that helps. The old woren out gripper tend to slip some times from being so woren down. In my opinion they should make the handles out of steel, to retain that fine knurl.

This is a vairable to be looked at, but if you are certain that the #3 are getting weaker then I don't know what to say, but that the list will be getting enormous.

Just thought I could give you a differ point of view.

Guest Mikael Siversson

I don't think there is a recognisable trend towards easier grippers. Instead they seem to fluctuate in difficulty in a rather random pattern. To me it is not such a bad thing as it gives you the opportunity to work on progressively harder grippers without huge jumps in increased difficulty. The first batches of double stamped grippers were mostly very hard, with wide handles and a deeply set spring. Those that came out in late 2002 were overall easy ones. I am having fun with my grippers and appreciate the fact that they are not all the same, which would be kind of boring. In a competition it does not matter as everyone is using the same set of grippers.

There are 3s that are easier, and 3s that are harder-than

each other. The grippers are not sold with these designations, but those with experience KNOW.

There is no rule for certification for easy/hard 3s.

So if you have ten 3s and can close only one, get

certified on that one, you have broken no rule. If you

certify on the hardest of the ten 3s you have, then that

gripper could still be easier than someone else's 3.

I am having fun with my grippers and appreciate the fact that they are not all the same, which would be kind of boring.

Good point! :rock

I also agree. But-I also think there should be some sort of standard. If you are training to squat 600-whould a 550 pass as a 600? No-so why let a #3 that is like a tough #2 pass? I am not saying they should all be alike-but they should atleast be in the same ballpark!

Guest Mikael Siversson

The reason is very simple. They cost 20$. If you become a certified captain of crush, it means that you can close a gripper within a certain range of variation; the #3 variation range. Nothing more and nothing less. If you want to know exactly where you stand; enter a grip competition.