Road To Il State

jad

I cut too much weight, too quickly, for MO State so I thought I'd keep a log to keep myself honest while making the preparations for IL state. The major focus is to go in at a comfortable 90k.

12-6-10

B: 1 light, SF yogurt, 1 L of water

L: 1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup of roasted potatoes, 1/2 cup of corn and greenbeans, 1 cup of water

D: 2 cups of the Wife's turkey lasagna, 1.5 L of water

Workout:

C2 rower: 2k in 8:02

Rotator lift: L: 42#x10, 64#x2x3 R: 42#x10, 64#x5,5

Front weaver: L: 5.5#x5 6#x3x3 R: 5.5#x5, 6.0#x5x5

Straight arm pressdowns: L: MMband x 20, Red band: x20 R: MMband x20, Red band x 20

*nice quick one before it was time to go bathe Ryleigh

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• geofiz

• bencrush

• lifesnotfair

what are you weighing now? how long do you have from weigh ins to comp?

207 and some change. 2 hours between weigh-ins and comp unless I want to weigh in the night before. It's a two hour drive one way so unless I'm out at one of our satellite sites for work, in that area on the 21st, I'm not fooling with that.

12-7-10

B: 2 SF, light yogurts, 5 tsp of cottage cheese, 1 L of water

L: 6 oz of salmon, 4 asparagus spears wrapped in prosciutto, 3 cups of butternut squash soup. 1 cup of water

D: Chinese buffet. Not exactly cohesive with the goal but had family in town so I'm not missing out on that. I'll just hit some extra cardio.

12-8-10

Breakfast: 1 L of water, no food; still very full from the Chinese Buffet

L: 2 cups of chili and 1 cup of water

D: 2 cups of the Wife's turkey lasagna, 1 L of water

Workout:

C2 rower: 3016m in 12:24

Rotator cuff prehab: modified version of the Diesel Crew protocol

Arm and Allen with the bands: both arms: Target blue x20, monster mini x20

Side pressure hits: both arms: MMx20

Top Roll rows to work MCL weakspot: MM doubled x 20, Avg+MM x 2 single loop x10, Avg+MMx2+Red single loop: a couple but all pretty sloppy, too much resistance

Flat finger rows: MMx2 single loop x10, MMx2+Red single loop x10, Avg+MMx2 single loop x5x12

RT suck em into a hook wrist curls: Avg doubled x10x10

2HP with palm pinch: 50#x20,10,20

Prehab giant set:

AA thumbless reverse curl: 43#x12

IM Expand Your Hand bands: both hands at once starting with Red and working down to white: 20 reps per band

IM thick handled wrist reinforcer: 5#x20 reps in all 4 directions no rest

Edited by jad

12-8-10

Breakfast: 1 L of water, no food; still very full from the Chinese Buffet

L: 2 cups of chili and 1 cup of water

D: 2 cups of the Wife's turkey lasagna, 1 L of water

Workout:

C2 rower: 3016m in 12:24

Rotator cuff prehab: modified version of the Diesel Crew protocol

Arm and Allen with the bands: both arms: Target blue x20, monster mini x20

Side pressure hits: both arms: MMx20

Top Roll rows to work MCL weakspot: MM doubled x 20, Avg+MM x 2 single loop x10, Avg+MMx2+Red single loop: a couple but all pretty sloppy, too much resistance

Flat finger rows: MMx2 single loop x10, MMx2+Red single loop x10, Avg+MMx2 single loop x5x12

RT suck em into a hook wrist curls: Avg doubled x10x10

2HP with palm pinch: 50#x20,10,20

Prehab giant set:

AA thumbless reverse curl: 43#x12

IM Expand Your Hand bands: both hands at once starting with Red and working down to white: 20 reps per band

IM thick handled wrist reinforcer: 5#x20 reps in all 4 directions no rest

Great to see your log here buddy. I'm gonna be watching this one. The food in your diet is definitely makin me hungry :laugh The flat finger rows, sated rows right? Thumbless reverse curls look good. I can't wait to find my thick handle dumbell in the storage unit :yikes Wifh your overall strength and hard workouts, no worry or doubt man you'll be alright at State :phone Good luck man

12-9-10

B: 1 sf, light yogurt, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 L water

L: 2 chicken breasts with bbq sauce, 2 cups of the pot roast veggies with broth, 1 cup of water

D: 4 slices of pizza and 3 diet cokes

evening: 1 liter of water

12-10-10

B: 1 L of water; still full from all the delicious pizza (Chef at work made it from scratch

L: 2 slices of thai pizza, 1 of bacon, mushroom and prosciutto, and 1 of chicken and buffalo mozzarella, 1 Diet Dr. Pepper

D: 2 chicken breasts, 2.5 cups of grapes, 2 L of water

Snack: 1/2 cup cottage cheese

Workout:

C2 rower: 5 500m runs with 1 min rest in between: 1:48, 1:49: 1:50, 1:48, 1:47

rotator cuff prehab

Giant set:

Rear delt flys with monster mini, single loop: 20 reps per arm

Front raises with monster mini, single loop: 20 reps per arm

Lateral raises with 2.5" db with 10#: 20 reps per arm

12-11-10

working doubles so the weekend looks a little different

4:30 am: 2 light, SF yogurts, 1 L of water

8:30 am: 1.5 cups of eggs with hotsauce, 1 cup of coffee

9:00 am: one of the cooks brought in some new dessert which is best described as a cake ball dipped in chocolate. Similiar in texture to a Russell Stovers candy but with moist chocolate cake in the middle. About the size of a golfball. 1 cup of coffee. DELICIOUS

10:30 am: 1 apple

12:30: hamburger, fries, diet coke

3:30: apple, 1 cup of coffee

7pm: 2 cups of the Wife's turkey lasagna 1 L of water

Edited by jad

You're underfed and doing Giant Sets of pre-hab exercises !! What the heck? You'll get pinned in a nanosecond come tournament day :upsidedwn

Just kidding though, you obviously know what you're doing. Why are you chasing state titles anyways? Go for a national!! :rock :rock

You're underfed and doing Giant Sets of pre-hab exercises !! What the heck? You'll get pinned in a nanosecond come tournament day :upsidedwn

Just kidding though, you obviously know what you're doing. Why are you chasing state titles anyways? Go for a national!! :rock :rock

LOL! You call it underfed, I call it a caloric deficit but whatever. It's hard to train when you're injured, trust me on that one, so I'm a firm believer in pre-hab. Anyways, the real training is table time and we practice about every two weeks with one coming up this Thursday, the rest is gravy. IL States is not about a state title; it's one of the biggest tournaments in the midwest. Previous year's winners of various weight classes include: Brent Rakers, Bill Logsdon, AJ Henson, Blaine Middleton, Robert Bishop, Robertas Prov(no idea how to spell the rest), Ethan Fritsche, and Cobra Rhodes. Notice the trend with National Champs? :yikes If I lose enough I might go 187#. It would be a nice way to test myself at that weight since hardly any tournies have it.

12-12-10

4:30 am: 2 light, SF yogurts, 1 L of water

8:30 am: 1.5 cups of eggs with hotsauce, 1 cup of coffee

10:30 am: 1 apple

12:30: hamburger, fries, diet coke and 1 large peppermint

3:30: apple, 1 cup of coffee

7pm: 1 cup of the Wife's turkey lasagna, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 1 L of water

Weight today: 206.5# not bad considering I was 210# on Wednesday after the Chinese Buffet!

Messed with the 2HP a little last night and I'm definitely going to give 44mm another go. It was feelin' good!

Edited by jad

12-13-10

B: 1 cup of cottage cheese, 1 L of water

L: 2oz of fried fish, 1 oz of HM potato chips, 4 aspargus, 1 cup of coffee: volunteers were a little stingy with the fish dishin' but they're volunteers so what are you gonna do.

3:00: 6 oz of fried cod

D: 2 chicken breasts, 1 green salad, 2 tsp of ranch, 7 Christmas cookies: Wife was baking them all day and I went a lil' crazy :laugh 1 liter of water, 2 Diet Mt Dews

9:30: one more chocolate and carmel PB cookie, 1 L of water

Workout:

C2 Rower: 2016m in 7:25 WOW!!! Shaved a ton off my time! Apparently max effort strokes vs short and speedy are the way to go; insert masturbation joke here :flame

Diesel crew shoulder protocol

Extensor bands: white x 20, green x 20

heavy hammer: 5#x10 to the front and internal rotations

Crush: after driving 8 hours solo, one way, and missing grippers I should have killed when the intent was to take my record back; grippers and I are officially on an extended break. Time will tell if the relationship can be salvaged.

ISG: all reps TNS

LH: 1,3x10 warmup, 1,12x5,6,7

RH: 1,3x10 warmup, 1,12x10, 2,12x7.5, 3,12x5

Thumbless Axle reverse curls supersetted with extensor bands

43#x10/red band x 20

53#x6/red x 20

53#x6/red x 20

53#x6/red x 20 then drop set all the way down through white with 20 reps per band

Edited by jad

12-14-10

B: 1 sf, light yogurt, 1 L water

L: 9 oz of fried fish, 2 cups of greens, hot sauce, 1 cup of coffee

D: meet the board meeting: appetizer city! 3 bacon wrapped dates, 4 grilled chicken strips with some Thai peanut sauce (~5oz of meat), 1 serving of bread pudding, handful of brown sugar and honey glazed pecans, 2 diet cokes

~9p: 6 more Christmas cookies and 2 diet dews

Edited by jad

12-15-10

B: 2 SF, Light yogurts, 1 L of water

L: 1.5 cups of beef chili and a 3x3" piece of bread pudding with a couple pecans and cherries on top, 1 cup of coffee

D: 2 cups of spinach leaves, 2 chicken breasts, 2 T of light ranch, 2 cups of grapes, 7 Christmas cookies, 1 L of water

1 coke zero, 1 diet mt dew

practice tomorrow!!

12-16-10

B: 1 sf, light yogurt, 1 L of water

L: 2 mini chicken salad sandwiches, 1 very small slice of sausage and broccoli pizza, 1/2 a plate of asparagus, 3"x3" serving of bread pudding with a few cherries on top, 16 oz of water, 1 cup of coffee

pre-workout: 7 Christmas cookies

Post-workout: 3 chicken breasts with 2 tsp of light ranch, 1.5 cups of grapes, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 L of water

Workout:

-supposed to have practice tonight but the weather screwed that up so only one guy showed and he's injured left. We got some good work done righty though. I'm rusty, mechanics wise RH, so I couldn't toproll for crap but my arm felt really strong and every time he'd put me in a hook out of a tr, I'd just drag him right over. I started just letting him hit and holding to get more work and it turned out to be a pretty good workout. Did plenty after he left

LH:

MM band x 1 doubled: drag x 20 x 20 TR x 20 x 20

MM band plus Red band, both doubled: drag x 5 x 6 x10 x10 TR: x0, x3, x7 x 10

Both arms (rh after Edwin left)

back pressure work: MM band x 1 doubled: x 20 MM band plus red band both doubled: x 3-5 reps for numerous sets (lost track probably 7 or so)

MCL work to simulate TR on someone with pressing me with a busted wrist: 20 reps per arm with MMx1 single loop: need to be very careful on this one and will keep it high reps

Side pressure hits: MMx1 single loop but stretched to where there is a lot of side load from the start: x 20 per arm

*elbows plenty pumped done with this for the night

More hook work with grey band doubled: x 3 reps each arm

Played with a band version of the Devon Larratt preacher curls except I did more of a table curl but with the bands it gets harder towards the top not easier. I kept the Devon style of a locked arm moving through a ROM. Too blown out to really tell, think I just messed with a MM doubled x 1 band to failure.

-seem to have that deep bone pain that I get at practice so I'll move on to some accessory work

Devon Style Rotator lift:

LH: 35#x10, 57#x5, 67#x2x3x1x1

RH: 35#x10, 57#x5,

12-16-10

L: 2 mini chicken salad sandwiches, 1 very small slice of sausage and broccoli pizza, 1/2 a plate of asparagus, 3"x3" serving of bread pudding with a few cherries on top, 16 oz of water, 1 cup of coffee

Post-workout: 3 chicken breasts with 2 tsp of light ranch, 1.5 cups of grapes, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 L of water

Workout:

-supposed to have practice tonight but the weather screwed that up so only one guy showed and he's injured left. We got some good work done righty though. I'm rusty, mechanics wise RH, so I couldn't toproll for crap but my arm felt really strong and every time he'd put me in a hook out of a tr, I'd just drag him right over. I started just letting him hit and holding to get more work and it turned out to be a pretty good workout. Did plenty after he left

Warmup:

C2 rower: 500m in 1:47

thumbless axle reverse curls: 43#x5

extensor band: white x 20

Diesel Crew shoulder protocol

LH:

back pressure work: MM band x 1 doubled: x 20 MM band plus red band both doubled: x 3-5 reps for numerous sets (lost track probably 7 or so)

MCL work to simulate TR on someone with pressing me with a busted wrist: 20 reps per arm with MMx1 single loop: need to be very careful on this one and will keep it high reps

Side pressure hits: MMx1 single loop but stretched to where there is a lot of side load from the start: x 20 per arm

Played with a band version of the Devon Larratt preacher curls except I did more of a table curl but with the bands it gets harder towards the top not easier. I kept the Devon style of a locked arm moving through a ROM. Too blown out to really tell, think I just messed with a MM doubled x 1 band to failure.

-seem to have that deep bone pain that I get at practice so I'll move on to some

Accessory work

Straight arm band pressdowns

MM x 1 single loop: 20 per arm

MM x 1 plus red single loop: 5,5,10,10,5 both arms

RH: 35#x10, 57#x5, 67#x3 77#x0 67#x0x0x1x1x1

Left 174# on the 2HP and just did sets throughout the workout. They were all 1-3 reps and I think I ended up with aroudn 20 reps or so. The 44mm is feeling great but I'm still getting used to keeping my fingers flat

Prehab

Thumbless axle reverse curl: 58#x5x5x5

Extensor bands: one big drop set starting with the reds x20 reps per band all the way down to the whites

Heavy handle: internal/external rotations x 5# x 20 reps per arm

Edited by jad

12-16-10

Workout:

Warmup:

C2 rower: 500m in 1:47

thumbless axle reverse curls: 43#x5

extensor band: white x 20

Diesel Crew shoulder protocol

LH:

-seem to have that deep bone pain that I get at practice so I'll move on to some

Accessory work

Straight arm band pressdowns

MM x 1 single loop: 20 per arm

MM x 1 plus red single loop: 5,5,10,10,5 both arms

RH: 35#x10, 57#x5, 67#x3 77#x0 67#x0x0x1x1x1

Left 174# on the 2HP and just did sets throughout the workout. They were all 1-3 reps and I think I ended up with aroudn 20 reps or so. The 44mm is feeling great but I'm still getting used to keeping my fingers flat

Prehab

Thumbless axle reverse curl: 58#x5x5x5

Extensor bands: one big drop set starting with the reds x20 reps per band all the way down to the whites

Heavy handle: internal/external rotations x 5# x 20 reps per arm

"I started just letting him hit and holding to get more work and it turned out to be a pretty good workout."

Just another thought Josh. I pull with a bunch of guys who are much stronger than me- like Dan Kekstadt, Jeff Bradley, Greg Wilson, and Reivo in the Chicago area. To give them a workout if its just two of us at practice, I'll have them grip me around my wrist. It takes the hand games out of the equation, puts a tremendous amount of pressure on their fingers and still gives my arm a workout. The lower they grab, the harder it is. Even with the weakest person, if you grab below their wrist eventually they will tire you out. Once tired, you can go back to gripping normally and get some good practice in.

geofiz: that's a great idea! We'll have to try that next time. Something we do with two unevenly matched persons is to have the weaker one put their index finger inbetween the hands. For whatever reason it allows a much weaker person to hold a stronger person quite a bit. The weaker one isn't hitting just holding. With two evenly matched people, the guy sticking his finger in can hold with a smile on his face.

yep, index finger of free hand from the guy that is just trying to hold. The puller/guy hitting, sets up just like normal.

Edited by jad

12-17-10

B: 2 light, SF yogurts, 1 L of water

L: 6oz of pot roast, 1 cup of asparagus, 1 slice of deep dish apple pie, 1 cup of coffee

D: Texas Roadhouse baby! Full slab of ribs, small salad with minimal ranch, cheese fries with ranch.

3 L of water throughout the rest of the night: couldn't get rid of my thirst after all that

12-18-10

weekend schedule

4:30: still full from the night before, 1 L of water

8:30: 1.5 cups of eggs with hotsauce, 1 cup of coffee

10:30: apple, cup of coffee

12:30: hamburger, fries, 32oz diet coke

3:30: apple, cup of coffee

7:00: leftovers: 3oz of pulled pork, 2 chicken strips, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, ~6oz of cheese fries with light ranch, 1 L of water

weekend schedule

12-19-10

4:30: still full from the night before, 1 L of water

8:30: 1.5 cups of eggs with hotsauce, 1 cup of coffee

10:30: 1.5 cups of cottage cheese

12:30: bacon cheeseburger, fries, potato soup, chocolate temptation, 1/2 cup chocolate icecream, 1 light, sf vanilla yogurt, 32oz diet coke

3:30: 1.5 cups of cottage cheese, 1 cup of coffee

7:00: 2 chicken breasts, 2 pieces of chocolate pretzel bark, 1 peanut cluster, 1 L of water