Derek Poundstone

G-Man

See his WSM 2010 prep video where he tore a leg muscle. I bet he has no clue why either except overtraining...maybe.

He is improving faster than the other competitors, he may be the next Mariusz in terms of winning World Strongest Man titles.

• 2 weeks later...

Videos like that prove just how misinformed the average person's idea of strength is. Ripping a phone book, or lifting a scrawny kid like that, could be accomplished by at least half of the members on this board. There's nothing special about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressive to see a guy whose stated weight is 340 at 6'1" have a six-pack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Poundstone

Other than the 200-pound DB presses, I can do everything else he's done in this video.

Hey gman i didnt realize you could do strict full range db rows lol as for what ive seen in your vids. I would like to see a vid of some strict rows one day. I cant do anything that he can in that vid except the pull ups and dips.. I can row 150dbs but only for 2-3 reps.

Edited by DanCottle

Hey gman i didnt realize you could do strict full range db rows lol as for what ive seen in your vids. I would like to see a vid of some strict rows one day. I cant do anything that he can in that vid except the pull ups and dips.. I can row 150dbs but only for 2-3 reps.

The straps I was using on the 210's were crap, but with my old straps, I got much better form; I find that 150 is too light to get a good workout unless you are doing tons of reps.

I'm not sure I understand correctly? Straps are only for extra grip power and if they did not work correctly then would you not drop the weight? I have never used straps so I may be ignorant to some factor..

Very impressive to see a guy whose stated weight is 340 at 6'1" have a six-pack.

http://en.wikipedia....erek_Poundstone

Other than the 200-pound DB presses, I can do everything else he's done in this video.

At 340 having abs like that...once I hit the gym again hopefully this year...we'll see if I can do what Derek can do :unsure:blink Guy is a beast :bow

http://en.wikipedia....erek_Poundstone

At 340 having abs like that...once I hit the gym again hopefully this year...we'll see if I can do what Derek can do :unsure:blink Guy is a beast :bow

The abs are from the "Poundstone shake". :laugh :laugh :laugh

Judging from what I've seen, by the time you get done "doing what he's done in the video", I'm afraid it wouldn't even resemble anything he's done in the video.

I'm not sure I understand correctly? Straps are only for extra grip power and if they did not work correctly then would you not drop the weight? I have never used straps so I may be ignorant to some factor..

To work effectively, straps have to wrapped tight otherwise the weight can buckle. It can make a huge difference in the kind of set that you have.

• 1 month later...

The abs are from the "Poundstone shake". :laugh :laugh :laugh

The liquefied frozen chicken shake? OMG that is the nastiest thing, up there with that late Japanese BB who ate raw egg whites and the same shake:

• 3 weeks later...

Injured. Looks like he withdrew from the Arnold.

Dagnabit, what happened?

Stress fracture in his back I think. Says he got 4 epidurals in one day and was working through the pain, but it's clear to him now that he just needs to rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Poundstone

I agree that these gym lifts aren't the greatest spectacle of human strength ever, and I have known 2 or 3 guys personally that could match these lifts, but his real talent lies in the strongman events themselves. I assume he doesn't "practice" hammer strength bench presses, but he does practice stones, and logs, etc, and I don't think I've ever even met anyone that could kind of hang with him at those tests of strength...just look at the 535 lb natural stone that he lifted at Fortissimus in 2008... Big Z just looked at it and said "impossible". Derek is definitely an amazing athlete...especially considering the injuries he has sustained to his spinal region...his heart and focus blow me away!!