1st Test Of Grip Since Mid-july

bencrush

11-22-10, Sunday

MMS GRIPPERS

Hadn’t planned on testing grip but I was out in the garage for an extended period and finally just decided to do it since it had been 4 months since I’ve done a grip workout. MMS grippers were first. Best righty was my 160lb #3 and lefty was a 154lb #3. Both are down quite a bit since even July. That’s what I expected though with this lengthy layoff. Still glad to be closing a few #3s though with no grip training in 4 months. Guess that grip strength is going to stay with me for quite a while.

MOUSE PINCH-47MM

Did this more out of shame for not training it enough even when I was training grip. Last Mouse Pinch workout was July 12th, 2010. In that workout I barely pulled 172lbs for a single. This workout I pulled 155lbs, 165lbs, and then failed on 180lbs twice. Then I recovered and got set and pulled 181lbs. Then did the same with 187lbs for a new all-time PR! This was most unexpected. Not only had my weakest event actually improved with time off, but it had gone up about 6lbs with no grip training. A nice surprise.

2″ VBAR

Used my USAWA 18″ long 2″ vbar. It’s still slicker than my old FBBC 2″ vbar used to be. Doesn’t hold chalk as well either. Ended with 244lbs lefty and 220lbs righty. Both are decent numbers for this particular vbar actually. 240lbs on this vbar used to mean 270lbs+ on my FBBC 2″ vbar. So it appears that my 2″ vbar strength didn’t go down much or at all either.

Have I missed training my grip? Yes. As much as I thought I would 6 months ago? Not quite. But it has been such a big part of my training life for 10 years that it was nice to have an old familiar workout again last night.

I will be supporting the new US grip org in one way or another. Either as a competitor, or as a promoter. Or both possibly.

Great stuff, Ben!

A big congrats on the Mouse PR. That's awesome to hear!

Those are some impressive numbers Ben especially with the layoff. Hope to see you in competition some day :-)

11-22-10, Sunday

MMS GRIPPERS

Hadn’t planned on testing grip but I was out in the garage for an extended period and finally just decided to do it since it had been 4 months since I’ve done a grip workout. MMS grippers were first. Best righty was my 160lb #3 and lefty was a 154lb #3. Both are down quite a bit since even July. That’s what I expected though with this lengthy layoff. Still glad to be closing a few #3s though with no grip training in 4 months. Guess that grip strength is going to stay with me for quite a while.

MOUSE PINCH-47MM

Did this more out of shame for not training it enough even when I was training grip. Last Mouse Pinch workout was July 12th, 2010. In that workout I barely pulled 172lbs for a single. This workout I pulled 155lbs, 165lbs, and then failed on 180lbs twice. Then I recovered and got set and pulled 181lbs. Then did the same with 187lbs for a new all-time PR! This was most unexpected. Not only had my weakest event actually improved with time off, but it had gone up about 6lbs with no grip training. A nice surprise.

2″ VBAR

Used my USAWA 18″ long 2″ vbar. It’s still slicker than my old FBBC 2″ vbar used to be. Doesn’t hold chalk as well either. Ended with 244lbs lefty and 220lbs righty. Both are decent numbers for this particular vbar actually. 240lbs on this vbar used to mean 270lbs+ on my FBBC 2″ vbar. So it appears that my 2″ vbar strength didn’t go down much or at all either.

Have I missed training my grip? Yes. As much as I thought I would 6 months ago? Not quite. But it has been such a big part of my training life for 10 years that it was nice to have an old familiar workout again last night.

I will be supporting the new US grip org in one way or another. Either as a competitor, or as a promoter. Or both possibly.

Kah Kuah!

11-22-10, Sunday

MMS GRIPPERS

Hadn't planned on testing grip but I was out in the garage for an extended period and finally just decided to do it since it had been 4 months since I've done a grip workout. MMS grippers were first. Best righty was my 160lb #3 and lefty was a 154lb #3. Both are down quite a bit since even July. That's what I expected though with this lengthy layoff. Still glad to be closing a few #3s though with no grip training in 4 months. Guess that grip strength is going to stay with me for quite a while.

MOUSE PINCH-47MM

2″ VBAR

Used my USAWA 18″ long 2″ vbar. It's still slicker than my old FBBC 2″ vbar used to be. Doesn't hold chalk as well either. Ended with 244lbs lefty and 220lbs righty. Both are decent numbers for this particular vbar actually. 240lbs on this vbar used to mean 270lbs+ on my FBBC 2″ vbar. So it appears that my 2″ vbar strength didn't go down much or at all either.

Congrats on that pinch pr...you've got more grip in you, I tell ya :mosher Shutting your #3 mms style, nice :cool Whatever you decide, the sport of grip would apperciate :rock

That´s still very good! What happened that you didn´t train grip the last months Ben?

All the best.

Ben this sport is in your blood you might aswell not fight it.

The PR shows a little time off can be a benefit but steady training is the key. I need to practice what I preach after 2 plus years off I have a ways to go.

CONGRATS on the PR glad to see you still have it my brother.

GATOR - KEL

Thanks a lot guys!

Geralt, I switched my training to Highland Games-oriented in July. Stopped training grip because it wasn't necessary at my stage of throwing ability and strength.

Check. I´m so close to almost CCS my #3 so that´s my primairy goal at this moment but a change of training would be also very welcome

after that. Highlandgame training also involves some explosive gripstrength I guess? Odd lifting, clamping a woodlog for throwing etc.

Maybe that´s why you didn´t have that much of a strength loss.

Sounds great but I´ve first got to get rid of my #%&! arminjury....photos and an echo will be made this week in the hospital so i´m VERY curious

what the diagnose will be..hope they will see something on the pictures...

Good luck Ben with your further training, sounds like you´re strong all over!

Check. I´m so close to almost CCS my #3 so that´s my primairy goal at this moment but a change of training would be also very welcome

after that. Highlandgame training also involves some explosive gripstrength I guess? Odd lifting, clamping a woodlog for throwing etc.

Maybe that´s why you didn´t have that much of a strength loss.

Sounds great but I´ve first got to get rid of my #%&! arminjury....photos and an echo will be made this week in the hospital so i´m VERY curious

what the diagnose will be..hope they will see something on the pictures...

Good luck Ben with your further training, sounds like you´re strong all over!

Appreciate that Geralt! Hope your arm heals up quickly and completely! The #3 cert is a noble goal.:mosher