Coc Rules Change

Bill Piche

See the Ironmind web site news.

Interesting.

I wonder who was trying to play hocus pocus with a gripper close? :D

I swear it wasn't me. And by the way, where does it say you can't pre-heat the gripper's spring with a blow torch? You know, to loosen it up a bit. :whistel

Guest Mikael Siversson

I have seen examples of guys closing a gripper in the way Randy is trying to avoid. I fully agree with Randy. An extremely deep set (beyond parallel) takes away some of the challenge. I would, however, been easier to judge if the rules had stated parallel rather than an inch.

I totally agree with you Mikael,

It is a shame to "eliminate" the sweep effort from a gripper. I mean, what's the point of having a gripper with the handles wider appart than 1', in that case?

This is why I really admire (even if I know there are some morphological advantages) people who can close a hard gripper without or with a very slight set.

train hard

david

I swear it wasn't me. And by the way, where does it say you can't pre-heat the gripper's spring with a blow torch? You know, to loosen it up a bit. :whistel

The witness should be credible enough to cry "bull$%^&" when testing the gripper during the cert.

Rumor has it that some people were doing the "smoke and mirrors" act and bumping the hand, not making it clear the hand was away (not pulling it away), etc. until PRESTO...showing it closed.

Rumor has it that some people were doing the "smoke and mirrors" act

There are not so many COCs out there.

Does the rumor includes names ? No need to reveal them here of course (it might just be BS). Where does the rumor comes from ? Ironmind ?

I don't think the judge needs to get the calipers out for the measurement of 1 inch. I talked to Randy about this before he did it. The inch was an afterthought - a number thrown out there. The real reason is to eliminate closing it close to the chest - like a chest crush - and turning the gripper over showing it closed. He said one inch just as a number. The point is the judge has to watch a fair amount of the handle movement before it's closed. As far as the hand being away from the gripper, he has seen some people constantly waving their free hand around the gripper. To eliminate any chance of some magic trick where the hand is used to distract while it is really bumping the gripper shut, he has restated the 1 foot away part of the rule.

Randy asked me if I thought 1 inch was about right and I said yes. Like I said, the distance wasn't intended to be measured. Personally I probably set the gripper further than that so it's not to my advantage.

I agree it's a good rule. Personally, it's easy for me to follow that rule, as I have a tendency to put my free hand out to the side, away from my body, as I strain. It's a bummer to imagine that someone cheated by using another part of their body to assist in the closing, after the set. Hopefully that's not the case, and this measure is simply preventative maintenance.

Edited by eric milfeld

Off the subject just a little but what about Rolling Thunder,INCH replica deadlifts,thick bar deadlifts,Eagle loop deadlifts,'ring'(dinny stone style)deadlifts...does pushing off the thigh with the oposite hand make any difference when judgeing a lift?

Amongst ourselves we give each other serious crap when we use the opposite hand to push off or to stabilize..all in fun :D but what about in competition?what about when judgeing a FULL Inch replica deadlift..should the opposite hand be off the leg?Does it matter?(for me personally it is a little easier to brace the arm on my thigh but i have broke the 'habit'with some coaxing from friends :blush )

I think it comes down to either the candidate can close it or they can't. Any body english, arm waving, spinning or other James Brown moves must be reserved for the celebration after the witness gives the thumbs up, blows the wistle, or... whatever they do when you get it closed. What do they do anyway? Does anyone shake hands afterward?

I knew a guy who tried a #3 that I had, and he claimed he could close it. Fine. I gave it to him, and whilst gripping it shut started waving his arm around, with the gripper in it, like he was conducting an orchestra. He then looked at me and said, "See I closed it". I replied, "All I see is a blur. Stop your arm". He did, and the gripper was nowhere close to being closed. :blink

Flapping your arms, gritting your teeth, flaling your chest, snorting huge amounts of oxygen, shouting out loud "WHOS YOUR DADDY?!?", and other annoying methods will NOT make you close that #3. Entertaining to be sure, but try taking a picture of that going on and send it to IronMind and claim to them that you've closed the #3. :laugh:laugh Uh, I don't think so.

Me Thinks,someone is a flappin over the likelt hood of a number of #4,s gettin closed this year,also the fact that the #3,s are gettin closed more regularly :D

If its down to cheatin,expose the cheats :blush

If its down to bad judgeing,dont use those judges again :blush

Why not go the hole hog and have it :blush pick up gripper in one hand and squeeze,no set etc.

By the way,this is not sour grapes on my behalf,as im not good enough yet to close the #3 :blush but when i am will want to do it the hardest way anyway.

Seems that maybe a few of the certs on the #3 have been questionable

lets get to the bottom of it all :blush or we,ll have another Joe Kinney feasco(did he didnt he etc) :blush

I like the rule as well. I'm all for removing any doubt. The way I workout is with gripper arm at least 90 degrees at the elbow, sometimes more straight. The other hand does the set, then stays near my stomach or opposite hip.

When I certify, I'm gonna close the 3. Then I'm gonna stick my free hand in my back pants pocket and close the 3. Then I'm gonna sit on my free hand and close the 3. I'll stand on my free hand, maybe even do a one-handed push-up while closing the 3. Then I'll look at the witness and ask, "Any questions?"