Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Second gripper workout this week, MMS based for maintaining topcrush and perhaps even building some strength, although that would be silly :chris:

Keeping the volume low, only good power output for just a few closes.

Everything after warming up, grippers all parallel set.

Seated strict shoulderpress, 5 x 5 same weight as monday. In between:

BBE (169) 2 x 1;

BBE (162) 2 x 1.

Good. Monday lower grippers, wider sets, aiming for doubles at least.

Pinky/thumb wooden blocklifts, upped 0.5 kg (9.5 kg). Good lifts, although the next 0.5 (=10kg total) stayed absolutely glued to the ground. plateau level reached I think. Building my way around that.

Thumbscrews.

Ab wheel several sets. Next week last week of this cycle. The power output of the last MMS session next Friday or so will determine wether or not I will stay at twice grippers per week. Last thing I want is a tennis elbow righty.

Several sets of extensorwork high reps for lefty.

• Like 1

After warming up:

Shoulderpress added 2.5kg again, 5x5;

Grippers, IM#3 (142) : wide set 1x2, 1x almost 3, 1xCCS, missed by a hair, close and hold. Not bad for only two days after heavy grippers, so strength is getting better.

Trapbar DL: up till 3x185kg, felt relatively easy.

Ab wheel, thumbwork, pinky and thumbpinch. got air under 10kg. No idea if this correlates to making my pinky gripperstrong but can't say if you don't try.

Last session of my 3 week cycle. Went into it straight after work and couldn't get going very well, but turned out to be OK session.

Shoulderpresses 5x5

Grippers up to 169 BBE but missed it by a hair.

After that gripper quickly went downhill so that's enough for doing grippers twice a week. Back to once per week.

Lots of tricep stuff, incl. narrow decline benching.

Ended with abz.

Also few 25kg blob attempts, nearly broke from the ground.

Triceps and shoulders gave a good response so I am repeating this cycle again after rest week.

Still awaiting my Swissbar and also found some heavy chains recently. I like using them combined when attached to a horseshoe handle for all kinds of finishers.

Edited by Geralt

It was supposed to be a rest week but today I got my Swissbar (Logbar) and safety squatbarpins, universal pins that you can simply screw onto your barbell for transforming it into a ... yes. That.

Last Friday I attacked my triceps pretty good so strength was nowhere, again should be a rest week but I just had to try the bar. Even with lighter weight I felt that I had not recovered. That bar however feels excellent and pressing with neutral grip is very comfortable. The only thing is that I need to push my head backwards more, compared to pushing out a normal barbell, otherwise the blocky midsection bumps into my chin. I perform my presses seated, because I can't stand due to a low ceiling. Pushing my head backwards is a little bit difficult since my head rests against the upright bench. So probably it's best to lower the backsupport and just lower the weights so I can push more comfortable. I can think of a lot of exercises I can do with this bar, so very glad to add it to my workoutstuff.

The safetysquatbar is a complete different ROM I noticed. Haven't concentrated on squats for a while and with the new movement I felt like starting with squats for the first time. I need to thicken the cushions a bit, because the screwplate of the pins tends to push into my traps. Just need to fiddle around with setting it comfortably.

Tried some abs but decided I didn't plan a restweek for nothing. End of the week grippers. No weights rest of the week.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Bit jealous of the swissbar. Wish they had one at my gym. Would be great to do bench presses with, much less stress on the shoulders I think.

Your home gym is becoming more complete all the time!

Bit jealous of the swissbar. Wish they had one at my gym. Would be great to do bench presses with, much less stress on the shoulders I think.

Your home gym is becoming more complete all the time!

It sure is, it's getting more and more complete now. Indeed, different handpositioning makes very big differences in how exercises are experienced. I don't care that much about what exercises should be done, I go with what feels best for my body. Comfort has nothing to do with intensity, right? I haven't tried it for benching yet, but when I tried it with the shoulderpress, I immediatly felt how much more the triceps where attacked. So it's probably a good change now and then for regular shoulderpressing and of course making my weak tri's a bit stronger. I noticed a difference already after three weeks of 5x5 pressing in terms of tricep response.

only thing I need now is to get my left arm a bit better. Recovery is slow.

Last Friday I attacked my triceps pretty good so strength was nowhere, again should be a rest week but I just had to try the bar. Even with lighter weight I felt that I had not recovered. That bar however feels excellent and pressing with neutral grip is very comfortable. The only thing is that I need to push my head backwards more, compared to pushing out a normal barbell, otherwise the blocky midsection bumps into my chin. I perform my presses seated, because I can't stand due to a low ceiling. Pushing my head backwards is a little bit difficult since my head rests against the upright bench. So probably it's best to lower the backsupport and just lower the weights so I can push more comfortable. I can think of a lot of exercises I can do with this bar, so very glad to add it to my workoutstuff.

Just like pressing with a real log, hence the name. :D

I would drop the back support, that way you also involve core stability more.

Nice addition to your collection.

• Like 1

4 sets of safetybar squats, learning new movement. Legs still a bit sore from monday. Setup of the handles feels better now. I learned that Fatgripz Extreme can be used in many ways lol great necksupports.

Grippers in between,

169bbe MMS;

1 x 1 unrated #3 CCS, very very near;

3 x 1 162 BBE CCS attempts, no close, but still good range. Getting nearer.

Few TNS closes # 2.5 singles.

Started off with a new cycle for shoulderpresses, only now with Swissbar/logbar. Which makes the lift much more different. Had to cut back in weight. Starting hits the triceps more.

5 x 5, shoulderpresses logbar;

5 x 1 partial presses from eye-height, upped weight 10kg above 5 x 5. Felt interesting. One minute rest in between.

Trapbar deadlift from deficit, made it higher than usual which strangely feels more comfortable, workset up to 150kg. Felt easy.

Partial neutral grip chins, still need to be careful with my left arm. Slowly getting better, so it seems.

4 sets of safetybar squats, learning new movement. Legs still a bit sore from monday. Setup of the handles feels better now. I learned that Fatgripz Extreme can be used in many ways lol great necksupports.

Grippers in between,

169bbe MMS;

Have you thought about trying parallel or approx 16mm as a go again, now you've had some crossover base strength from your wider set work, might take a few sessions to dial the tech. and fire the cns up properly but you could very likely see some PBs, or will you be looking at some 20mm block set work?

Grippers in between,

169bbe MMS;

Have you thought about trying parallel or approx 16mm as a go again, now you've had some crossover base strength from your wider set work, might take a few sessions to dial the tech. and fire the cns up properly but you could very likely see some PBs, or will you be looking at some 20mm block set work?

Well, I have done three weeks of two days gripperwork, one session wide sets (CCS/wide) and one session MMS at the end of the week. This last session was in my 'restweek' where my whole energy level wasn't to great, so now going back to once per week. At this point I feel that I am very close to getting more familiair with pulling that last few mm in, so keeping the wider set work. Teemu I pointed out to me on FB that I tend to cock my wrist a little bit, instead of extending my wrist more, which leaves some closing power on the table. Going to try that first new couple of trainingsessions.

I think there is a lot of truth in that, I tend to fiddle with the CCS and in order to see that, I automatically turn my handpalm inside to look at the gripper, this leaves some strength at the table.

Grippers in between,

169bbe MMS;

Well, I have done three weeks of two days gripperwork, one session wide sets (CCS/wide) and one session MMS at the end of the week. This last session was in my 'restweek' where my whole energy level wasn't to great, so now going back to once per week. At this point I feel that I am very close to getting more familiair with pulling that last few mm in, so keeping the wider set work. Teemu I pointed out to me on FB that I tend to cock my wrist a little bit, instead of extending my wrist more, which leaves some closing power on the table. Going to try that first new couple of trainingsessions.

I think there is a lot of truth in that, I tend to fiddle with the CCS and in order to see that, I automatically turn my handpalm inside to look at the gripper, this leaves some strength at the table.

Yeah, if you cock your wrist it puts you at a mechanical disadvantage right off the bat! ;)

• Like 1

Grippers in between,

169bbe MMS;

Yeah, if you cock your wrist it puts you at a mechanical disadvantage right off the bat! ;)

Yup, it is however just so slight that I hardly even noticed, but I am open for any advice, so trying to look into this heh

Practising CCS and wide sets today with my BBE @162lbs. Came very very close, filmed an attempt after that but lost sharpness.

Wider reps with MM2 replica (soft sweep) and #3.

Also shoulderpresses and benching after a looong time. Liking my Swissbar a lot.

• Like 1

Practising CCS and wide sets today with my BBE @162lbs. Came very very close, filmed an attempt after that but lost sharpness.

Wider reps with MM2 replica (soft sweep) and #3.

Also shoulderpresses and benching after a looong time. Liking my Swissbar a lot.

Hey man...when I narrowly missed my 162ccs (made the 159)...I called in for my successful cert. You gotta be darn near ready man.

• Like 3

Time for max one hour of training before work this morning. Had to keep it short but intense.

Warming up with deficit DL with trapbar, up to 130kg. Kept deficit under my feet during worksets.

8 x 3 @ 160kg.

In between sets gripperwork.

BBE (162) 2 x 1 CCS attempt, misses, jumped a bit too soon in the worksets;

IM#3 (142) 1 x 1 CCS slammed shut;

IM#3 (filed handle, unrated but around 150 lbs) 2 x 1 wide set closes (perhaps few mm off because of the filed handle but definitely beyond closing position with normal handles).

Kept it there for today.

• Like 2

Time for max one hour of training before work this morning. Had to keep it short but intense.

Warming up with deficit DL with trapbar, up to 130kg. Kept deficit under my feet during worksets.

8 x 3 @ 160kg.

IM#3 (filed handle, unrated but around 150 lbs) 2 x 1 wide set closes (perhaps few mm off because of the filed handle but definitely beyond closing position with normal handles).

Kept it there for today.

Strong closes Geralt! I think you are almost there.

8 x 3 @ 160kg.

Kept it there for today.

Strong closes Geralt! I think you are almost there.

Thank you Jörg, appreciate it. I hope so. closing my BBE CCS would be very cool as a 'short term' goal. From there I will buy a new #3 from IM, video the attempt and when closed, I will go for a cert. attempt. Taking my training down to 2 sessions per week, both or one of them with grippertraining. Let's hope this wave continues. I am seeing some kind of 'progress' here, something that has been going past my house for a long time heh...

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

A man walks into his garage to start squeezing grippers. After a few grippers that start to stack up in resistance he notices that is not to be gripper day. The man backs off. So be it.

• Like 2

A man walks into his garage to start squeezing grippers. After a few grippers that start to stack up in resistance he notices that is not to be gripper day. The man backs off. So be it.

"So let it be written, so let it be done...or not done in this case."
  • Like 1

Trying a new template from here, just trying it out, will not be updating unless some serious new stuff to mention.

Hope it won't take till we hear from you again!

Good luck.

Thank you, no it's not that drastically but a few changes in training that could make a difference. Just a few weeks, but a lot has been said in my log already that hasn't been mentioned before. Trainng went well so far but I am plateauing right now and need to change it up.

Trying a new template from here, just trying it out, will not be updating unless some serious new stuff to mention.

So you are saying you are withholding us your new superadvanced megagains program?

So you are saying you are withholding us your new superadvanced megagains program?

Lol yup, basically that's it.

How strange, Friday session sucked bigtime, today I closed my 149lbs #3 CCS for three times. Was surprised with how easy the first close was, so filmed second and third close. Shown only the second.

Did more wide set work after that. At least progress shows it's face now and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrOtY3j30NU