Im Hub

Malice

I've been thinking about buying one. I have no weights though. I'm thinking I could take it to the gym and clip it to one of the weight machines. I want to work the pinch grip but I'm not ready to buy all the equipment that comes with it. I found a 2x4 with a bolt and clip on it at the gym. I clipped it in and pinched 100lbs each hand (wood probably more friction than steel). But the 2" seemed narrow and it hurt to pinch. At $25, and if I could find a way to clip it to a weight machine, it sounds like I can pull it off.

Is the Hub comparable to a york hub, size and ability to lift?

Is the Hub comparable to a york hub, size and ability to lift?

I don't think the IM Hub is really comparable to anything. I don't do real well on "real" hubs, but do fine on the IM one. And, with York, there are so many different versions floating around over the years, that you can't really say what a "York" is.

The slick surface on the IM hub makes it much tougher than lifting a #45 plate. Before I sanded my IM hub I was pulling 33 lbs. on it and easily lifted the #45 plate. I don't know how close it would be to various plates hubs measurement wise but the design is similar enough that it will allow you to get stronger in a manner necessary to lift a plate by the hub. If nothing else it gives you another way to work the thumbs which is important if you have girlie strength thumbs like me.

It's been my experience that the slick service makes no difference in

progressing.

What made a huge difference is actually making the surface course (with sandpaper)

and using as much weight as possible OVER 45 lbs.

Most individuals can lift 45 lbs. relatively easy with a proper gripping surface

(non-slick) thats larger than the actual size of the center hub on a #45 plate.

The brain is not responding to surface feel when it comes to gaining strength at this lift.

It responds to weight lifted (force applied) and makes favorable adaptations from that point,

assuming your not lifting in pain ( when pain is detected the CNS will decrease contractile force).

Bottom line, use surface area with good texture for lifting more than 45 lbs.

Important point: It's easy to strain the thumbs. High volume training for this lift is

asking for injury. High intensity/low volume is key here (singles with max or near max effort).

When you've reached a decent level of strength at this lift and progress slows or stops, try some negative

training at this point but not before. Don't have time to explain why, but this is important. ;)

Keep a training journal (everyone should) to determine proper rest/recovery rates. When progress

stops or progress starts to go backwards, increase rest time for recovery. In my case, my body resonds well

to 4-5 dyas rest between hub training sessions. Each individual is different and will require different

amounts of rest for recovery. One more thing, NEVER train sore thumbs!

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by Mighty Joe

Awesome responses! Thanks all.

You even nailed some questions I was going to ask, like sanding or how to train with it.

Mighty Joe, I do keep a journal. And so glad I do. Helps a ton.

Malice, I feel you on the weak thumbs. I've been strong with grip because of climbing, but we don't use thumbs for climbing. Fact is the pinch grip just isn't that common of a grip.

I think for the most part you can do way more weight on the IM hub rather then on a 45lb plate. especially if you sand it down. I like to keep the paint on my IM hub. We happen to like them slippery in our So. Cal. contest. :upsidedwn .

I think for the most part you can do way more weight on the IM hub rather then on a 45lb plate. especially if you sand it down. I like to keep the paint on my IM hub. We happen to like them slippery in our So. Cal. contest. :upsidedwn .

i second what you said ;)

Thanks guys. This is a great tread. I ordered an IM Hub Trainer that arrived today. I had a lot of these same questions as well. I also made a couple of hub devices to see how they compare.

IM hub trainer on the way! Along with a rolling thunder. Can't wait to receive them and find my baseline max. :rock

I prefer to train with the raint too as for training I built my foundation with 2-finger

plate pinching training them in pairs pinky-ring fingers,ring-middle fingers, middle-index fingers and it really helped me the 1st time I touched a IM hubwas in a contest I pulled 48 lbs. this last contest I did 60 lbs. and tied for 3rd place

I prefer to train with the raint too as for training I built my foundation with 2-finger

plate pinching training them in pairs pinky-ring fingers,ring-middle fingers, middle-index fingers and it really helped me the 1st time I touched a IM hubwas in a contest I pulled 48 lbs. this last contest I did 60 lbs. and tied for 3rd place

You da' man! :rock Aaa-OOOOoh!

• 1 month later...

Updates from the Wolf's Den:

Hubbing a 45# plus weight-

Robert hit a new hub PR of 62.5#. Robert spent most of his time calibrating. Thank you Robert.

Kevin hit 65#. He broke the ground with 75# the last time we met. He's been doing quite a bit of gripper work so his hands weren't feeling up to par. However, he easily taught his Inch DB who was boss. He lifted it a few times; it was just too easy for him. He lifted 200# on Robert's 2 3/8" inch trainer. He's a thick bar fiend.

I pulled 52.5# hub pretty high (almost armpit level). Pulled 60#, 65#, 67.5#, and 70#. I was good for more but was distracted as we started calibrating grippers. I think I'll be able to get 80# next time (at least I hope so) I also did some 2-fingered hubs. I pulled off an index/thumb, middle/thumb, and a ring/thumb combo with the 45# hub. Will add weight next time. I finished off the hubbing by snatching the 45# plate up overhead. I played with the Inch DB as well. For my third attempt ever I was happy. I put the finger tip pads of the freehand index and middle fingers lightly on the handle. I was able to pull it to full height with this little bit of assistance. Next time it'll only one finger tip, then eventually no assistance. I don't think it'll be too long.

As always, everyone had a great time.

Robert hit a new hub PR of 62.5#. Robert spent most of his time calibrating. Thank you Robert.

Kevin hit 65#. He broke the ground with 75# the last time we met. He's been doing quite a bit of gripper work so his hands weren't feeling up to par. However, he easily taught his Inch DB who was boss. He lifted it a few times; it was just too easy for him. He lifted 200# on Robert's 2 3/8" inch trainer. He's a thick bar fiend.

I pulled 52.5# hub pretty high (almost armpit level). Pulled 60#, 65#, 67.5#, and 70#. I was good for more but was distracted as we started calibrating grippers. I think I'll be able to get 80# next time (at least I hope so) I also did some 2-fingered hubs. I pulled off an index/thumb, middle/thumb, and a ring/thumb combo with the 45# hub. Will add weight next time. I finished off the hubbing by snatching the 45# plate up overhead. I played with the Inch DB as well. For my third attempt ever I was happy. I put the finger tip pads of the freehand index and middle fingers lightly on the handle. I was able to pull it to full height with this little bit of assistance. Next time it'll be only one finger tip, then eventually no assistance. I don't think it'll be too long.

Sorry guys. Forgot to date this. It was this past Saturday, December 12.

• 4 weeks later...

I keep my eye out on craigslist, garage sales, and the second hand stores. I have a wide variety of plates for hub lifting in 25, 35, and 45lb. I have 45's with hubs 1 3/8" (smooth, AES Brand), 1 1/4" (Old Inter National made in Canada), and 1" (rough, Jack LaLane). I have gone over 55 lbs on teh 1 1/4" and can't budge my 35lb LaLane with a 1" hub. I am thinking about offering up the LaLane 45 as a challenge plate.

You'll have to offer something else up as a challenge plate. We got together out here a week after the contest (California) and actually hubbed a rough Jack Lalanne 50# plate (5" diameter). Kevin Bussi (Handigripperman) got 50# and I got 60#. It was a blast.

Animal! Thats crazy man

I pulled 52.5# hub pretty high (almost armpit level). Pulled 60#, 65#, 67.5#, and 70#. I was good for more but was distracted as we started calibrating grippers. I think I'll be able to get 80# next time (at least I hope so) I also did some 2-fingered hubs. I pulled off an index/thumb, middle/thumb, and a ring/thumb combo with the 45# hub. Will add weight next time. I finished off the hubbing by snatching the 45# plate up overhead. I played with the Inch DB as well. For my third attempt ever I was happy. I put the finger tip pads of the freehand index and middle fingers lightly on the handle. I was able to pull it to full height with this little bit of assistance. Next time it'll be only one finger tip, then eventually no assistance. I don't think it'll be too long.

Sorry guys. Forgot to date this. It was this past Saturday, December 12.

Whew, hubbin to the sky here :happy

I keep my eye out on craigslist, garage sales, and the second hand stores. I have a wide variety of plates for hub lifting in 25, 35, and 45lb. I have 45's with hubs 1 3/8" (smooth, AES Brand), 1 1/4" (Old Inter National made in Canada), and 1" (rough, Jack LaLane). I have gone over 55 lbs on teh 1 1/4" and can't budge my 35lb LaLane with a 1" hub. I am thinking about offering up the LaLane 45 as a challenge plate.

You'll have to offer something else up as a challenge plate. We got together out here a week after the contest (California) and actually hubbed a rough Jack Lalanne 50# plate (5" diameter). Kevin Bussi (Handigripperman) got 50# and I got 60#. It was a blast.

Animal! Thats crazy man

It's definitely fun. The next time we met it occurred to me to try it with a index/middle/thumb combo. Got it while holding the video camera. Kev says "If you can do it, I can do it!". He snags it as well. I got some air with middle/thumb combo. Will get it next time.

Had a pretty good workout this Sat. did some IM hubing and some 45 plate hubing

IM Hub rihgt hand

42.5 x 1 warm-up

47.5 x 1 warm-up

52.5 x 1

56.25 x 1

58.75 x 1

59.25 x 1

60.5 got about 3" off the ground

did my York deep 45 plate both right and left hand

Had a pretty good workout this Sat. did some IM hubing and some 45 plate hubing

IM Hub rihgt hand

42.5 x 1 warm-up

47.5 x 1 warm-up

52.5 x 1

56.25 x 1

58.75 x 1

59.25 x 1

60.5 got about 3" off the ground

did my York deep 45 plate both right and left hand

Nice lifts!!

GUYS nice lifts how about throwing a bunch of them clips together add some music and post a video :rock no one makes vids anymore :huh:

GUYS nice lifts how about throwing a bunch of them clips together add some music and post a video :rock no one makes vids anymore :huh:

They're coming Dan. Mr. No-tech has been busy, but they're coming. :D

cant wait to see vids :rock

cant wait to see vids :rock

Both Gripzilla and Handgripperman have take video of some of are Hub chalanges

so hopefully we can get something up soon