Im Hub

Malice

My new IM hub just showed up today so I decided to give it a try and did an impromptu workout with it. The surface of this thing is SLICK. I managed to lift 33 lbs. both hands to full deadlift but only got a coule inches with 35.5 lbs. I dropped down to 28 lbs. for 3 reps each hand then upped it back to 33 lbs. for a few sets of 2-3 reps. I didn't really keep track of it cuz I was just trying it out but my thumbs have a nice little pump now and I really like this thing. Anybody know roughly how much you need to pull claw style with a new IM hub before being able to hub a typical #45? I know different plates vary but I'm just curious about where I stand on this thing.

Id guess #45, if its that slick then a real 45 would be somewhat easyier I would think since many of those older plates are well seasoned.

Rico

My new IM hub just showed up today so I decided to give it a try and did an impromptu workout with it. The surface of this thing is SLICK. I managed to lift 33 lbs. both hands to full deadlift but only got a coule inches with 35.5 lbs. I dropped down to 28 lbs. for 3 reps each hand then upped it back to 33 lbs. for a few sets of 2-3 reps. I didn't really keep track of it cuz I was just trying it out but my thumbs have a nice little pump now and I really like this thing. Anybody know roughly how much you need to pull claw style with a new IM hub before being able to hub a typical #45? I know different plates vary but I'm just curious about where I stand on this thing.

it is extremely variable due to the finish.

I'll just get stronger with it and test myself when I go to Tucson on Aaron's #45. I managed an inch or so of air on that once out of about 5 tries and I really want to lift that thing ;)

I have a new IM hub, and the finish on it is super-slick. Lifting 45 lbs on one of those is way more difficult than any 45 lb plate I've ever tried.

I have a new IM hub, and the finish on it is super-slick. Lifting 45 lbs on one of those is way more difficult than any 45 lb plate I've ever tried.

Yea I would tend to agree, maybe you guys can let it sit in paint stripper and then in clorox after the paint is off and tune that hub up a little?

Rico

Try rubbing your hands off with alcahol or windex and the clean your hub device, sometimes on those IM hubs you can lift alot more that way than with chalk.

I DID A TEST ON MY YOUTUBE PAGE ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO THE SLICK ONE IS ABOUT FIVE POUNDS AWAY FROM THE ORIGIONAL ONE THEY FIRST SOLD USE CHALK AND WINDEX AND TO ME THEY ARE WAY EASER THAN ANY HUB I LIFTED BECAUSE IT IS CENTERED AND HANGING ON A PIN

I DID A TEST ON MY YOUTUBE PAGE ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO THE SLICK ONE IS ABOUT FIVE POUNDS AWAY FROM THE ORIGIONAL ONE THEY FIRST SOLD USE CHALK AND WINDEX AND TO ME THEY ARE WAY EASER THAN ANY HUB I LIFTED BECAUSE IT IS CENTERED AND HANGING ON A PIN

I have an older one and a brand new one that I just bought about a month ago. For me, it's about a 15 lb difference between the two of them. The brand new hubs that IM is selling appear to have a powdercoated finish on them and the surface is extremely slick. The older ones are just spray-painted, and the surface is much easier to grab onto. Lifting 45 lbs on my brand new IM hub makes any of my 45 lb plates feel light as a feather. That's just my two cents on the subject.

Do you think that roughing up the surface a bit would actually promote better strength gains due to being able to subject the hand to more actual weight? I'm not overly concerned with the actual weight I can pull with this as I am in gaining strength with it. If roughing it up will promote better strength gains than leaving it slick I'll sand it. If not I'll leave it the way it is.

Russ-

I wouldn't bother sanding the paint off or roughing it up. I can only speak for myself here, but I really like the slick surface on the new IM hub. And like I said, once you're lifting 45 lbs on that thing - most 45 lb plates will feel light as a feather.

One thing you could try is to use a shorter loading pin to give you a greater range of motion. I made up an 8" pin that I use specifically for my hubs. Just an idea.

Edited by IROC-Z

Do you think that roughing up the surface a bit would actually promote better strength gains due to being able to subject the hand to more actual weight? I'm not overly concerned with the actual weight I can pull with this as I am in gaining strength with it. If roughing it up will promote better strength gains than leaving it slick I'll sand it. If not I'll leave it the way it is.

if you want to get better strength gains stick with a regular plate you can lift because it will move leverage to different fingers while you lift it then start adding plates put tape under them so they wont slide then when you get to about 75lbs or 80lbs on a regular plate ,your ironmind hub will feel really easy to lift ,,or hub lift a 25, 35, or 45 lb plate and do curls up to your shoulder for finger strength good luck in your training

Edited by DAN PRAYDIS

if you want to get better strength gains stick with a regular plate you can lift because it will move leverage to different fingers while you lift it then start adding plates put tape under them so they wont slide then when you get to about 75lbs or 80lbs on a regular plate ,your ironmind hub will feel really easy to lift ,,or hub lift a 25, 35, or 45 lb plate and do curls up to your shoulder for finger strength good luck in your training

I know of no one better to listen to concerning any type of hub lifting than Dan Praydis. The guy knows his stuff...IM Hub, different brands hubs, etc, etc

I know of no one better to listen to concerning any type of hub lifting than Dan Praydis. The guy knows his stuff...IM Hub, different brands hubs, etc, etc

Yes but as far as I know Russ has no 45lb or 20kg plate! If Dan could let him have one I'm sure he'd be very grateful!

There's a few reasons why I'd take it back to bare metal and let it take on it's on natural patina.

The slip factor coefficient gives a bigger parameter for a slippery surface than it does otherwise.

You could be pinching as hard as you can but down to humidity the difference could be 5-10kg difference as opposed to 2-4kg, also because you're lifting heavier

you're also recruiting more muscle fibre and therefore getting a stronger neural response.

if you want to get better strength gains stick with a regular plate you can lift because it will move leverage to different fingers while you lift it then start adding plates put tape under them so they wont slide then when you get to about 75lbs or 80lbs on a regular plate ,your ironmind hub will feel really easy to lift ,,or hub lift a 25, 35, or 45 lb plate and do curls up to your shoulder for finger strength good luck in your training ps thanks alot hubgeezer buyt your name says it all in just taking what i learned from you and testing it all out

Yes but as far as I know Russ has no 45lb or 20kg plate! If Dan could let him have one I'm sure he'd be very grateful!

There's a few reasons why I'd take it back to bare metal and let it take on it's on natural patina.

The slip factor coefficient gives a bigger parameter for a slippery surface than it does otherwise.

You could be pinching as hard as you can but down to humidity the difference could be 5-10kg difference as opposed to 2-4kg, also because you're lifting heavier

you're also recruiting more muscle fibre and therefore getting a stronger neural response.

i do know where there are some hampton 45s they are 60cents a pound but the shipping would be $$$$$$ the size of the plate plus the weight if thats all you have sand it off dip it in saltwater and after it rusts season it with chalk good luck training

Edited by DAN PRAYDIS

my wife did the shipping on usps and parcel post would be about 55dollars plus the plate you are looking at about 90 dollars for a hampton 45lb plate that you could probably find in your town or state check out the net just google hampton 45lb plate and write the state you live in or where to buy good luck finding one

Thanks guys! I'll hit up the second hand sports stores in my neighborhood and look for plates and tell them to call me if they get any in if I don't find anything there.

I keep my eye out on craigslist, garage sales, and the second hand stores. I have a wide variety of plates for hub lifting in 25, 35, and 45lb. I have 45's with hubs 1 3/8" (smooth, AES Brand), 1 1/4" (Old Inter National made in Canada), and 1" (rough, Jack LaLane). I have gone over 55 lbs on teh 1 1/4" and can't budge my 35lb LaLane with a 1" hub. I am thinking about offering up the LaLane 45 as a challenge plate.

I keep my eye out on craigslist, garage sales, and the second hand stores. I have a wide variety of plates for hub lifting in 25, 35, and 45lb. I have 45's with hubs 1 3/8" (smooth, AES Brand), 1 1/4" (Old Inter National made in Canada), and 1" (rough, Jack LaLane). I have gone over 55 lbs on teh 1 1/4" and can't budge my 35lb LaLane with a 1" hub. I am thinking about offering up the LaLane 45 as a challenge plate.

You'll have to offer something else up as a challenge plate. We got together out here a week after the contest (California) and actually hubbed a rough Jack Lalanne 50# plate (5" diameter). Kevin Bussi (Handigripperman) got 50# and I got 60#. It was a blast.

The hub is something I definetly have to work on. Im glad I just got one. Im gonna catch up to you gripzilla

The hub is something I definetly have to work on. Im glad I just got one. Im gonna catch up to you gripzilla

Are you talking Jack Lalane 50# plate or "suitcase" IM hub? Better be careful, I hear Lone Wolf howling in the background. He'll probably pass us both. He has home -"DEN". Aa-OOOOooooh!

I sanded the hub just enough to rough up the surface and just pulled 47 lbs. lefty. I didn't try righty.

I like this thing so much I'm actually pissed that my back hurts too much to work out with it tonight. Every time I walk by it I want to make a pull with it. Maybe I'll get my fill of it by greasing the groove for a week and see what that does for hub strength. I'd like to try Aaron's York #45 with an extra 5 lbs. next month.