Whats A Decent Rack Pull?

BigJan85

I was messing with some rack pulls tonight at the end of the workout and worked up to 700 from right above the knee. It wasn't terribly hard and I mighta been able to get 750 which woulda been my best from that position but I've only done these a handful of times and was wondering what would be a good number to shoot for. I hate to be a guy who posts these "whats good for this lift" thread but I am the only one at my gym I've seen do these so I have no reference. Thanks in advance.

Well I have done them only a handful of times. First time I did them I got 585. Recently I was able to do 635 from right around the knee. I prob couldn't pull 315 from the floor though i haven't done a full dead in like 2 years. I did the rack pulls to test my grip strength which is my limiting factor. I weigh 165. So there is a comparison. I looked on youtube quickly for some heavy ones and I saw atleast 900. Im guessing people can do 1000 plus though.

I've done anything from a silver dollar dead (bar 18" off the ground) of 1105, to a 3" above the knees 1245 x 5 reps, to a 4" above the knees for 1520. Right at the knees is toughest for me, but have pulled over 800 plenty of times. I'd say a very respectable rack pull at 2" above the knees is 800.

You just had to chime in and make everyone feel girly :upsidedwn

Did you use straps for 1520, Mr. Beatty?

I remember a picture from the old gallery of a younger Richard Sorin doing something like 1300 (don't quote me on that, I can't remember the number and can't find the link to the picture) without straps. I found that impressive, grip-wise.

Yeah I saw that pic of Rich doing the strapless 1300 pull too and was very impressed. If John didn't use straps for 1520 he would be freaking superhuman. Pulling that amount of wait is pretty insane in its own right.

• 1 month later...

Hi Big Jan,

I've managed 1100 x 3 with a 2.6 inch bar.

1210 on a 2 inch bar. Reverse grip on both.

On a 2 inch bar 800 with a front grip .

And on an olympic bar 1342 with a front grip, performed at the Ministry of Muscle in Kent infront of British Powerlifting Team. (I also tried benching 400 x 25 but pulled my pec on number 21, never doing that again!!)

The old timers used these exercises a lot years ago and they help develop great tendon and ligament strength throughout the body and are fun too!!

Remember to start slowly to get accustomed to the huge weights that can be lifted.

Best of luck,

Chris.

Chris,

What height do you have the bar at for your pulls?? I hope you have it well above the knee or that is just insane. 800 with an overhand grip on a 2 inch bar?? that is unreal. You should post some rack pull videos to inspire us mortals.

Hello Jan,

I do the pulls from different heights in the rack, but the heavier ones i end up pulling about 5 to 6 inches before lockout.

A really great exercise for grip and back strength is to do snatch grip deadlifts without the hook grip, i start off doing high pulls from a low rack height and then vary it going further up the rack as it gets heavier.

There are some photos in the old gallery of some rack pulls if your interested.

Best of luck,

Chris