Crushing And Support Strength Not Related?

maestco

I don't train on support grip. Only crushing. When I was able to close the trainer I could pull 90 lbs on the rolling thunder. Since then I graduted to the number 1.5 gripper , but I would still only pull 90 lbs on the rolling thunder. Shouldn't support strength increase?

Edited by maestco

You might get an increase, if the weak link on your rolling thunder is your last two fingers.

It's probably your thumbs. You need to do some thick bar or block weight work.

Maestco,

I think alot of it has to do with not being used to equipment. When you first pick up a gripper (or anything else,) you don't set it perfectly right away. It's like when you just start working out, your gains come quickly. One of the reasons is because you become more and more proficient with the exercises, and get used to the feel. Of course, you are also getting stronger if you went from Trainer to #1.5. Just need to put some time in RT.

• 4 months later...

Maestco,

I think alot of it has to do with not being used to equipment. When you first pick up a gripper (or anything else,) you don't set it perfectly right away. It's like when you just start working out, your gains come quickly. One of the reasons is because you become more and more proficient with the exercises, and get used to the feel. Of course, you are also getting stronger if you went from Trainer to #1.5. Just need to put some time in RT.

RT?

Maestco,

RT?

Rolling Thunder

hmmm, normally those who are great at thick bar, are also good at grippers. Look at Ryan Johnson or Ross Love, both closed the #3 without much set or specific training.

I don't train on support grip. Only crushing. When I was able to close the trainer I could pull 90 lbs on the rolling thunder. Since then I graduted to the number 1.5 gripper , but I would still only pull 90 lbs on the rolling thunder. Shouldn't support strength increase?

Of course there is carryover - you are using the same body parts.

There's two problems with what you are asking though.

Rolling Thunder is NOT pure support grip. (Pure) Support is when the fingers are the primary movers/supporters of the load. With the RT, you are moving away from this positioning and into an open hand position, which makes it more of a pinching movement.

In order to make the fingers more of the prime movers/supporters of the load, you have to move them under the RT. This then shifts the movement to a wrist strength movement.

You have to use the SAID principle - Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands. Your body gets better at doing what it is subjected to. So, if you train the Rolling Thunder, you will get better at Rolling Thunder. If you train on Grippers, you will get better at Grippers.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Jedd

You have to use the SAID principle - Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands. Your body gets better at doing what it is subjected to. So, if you train the Rolling Thunder, you will get better at Rolling Thunder. If you train on Grippers, you will get better at Grippers.

Right on here. There is also specificity.

The Specificity Principle simply states that exercising a certain body part or component of the body primarily develops that part. The Principle of Specificity implies that, to become better at a particular exercise or skill, you must perform that exercise or skill. A runner should train by running, a swimmer by swimming and a cyclist by cycling. While it's helpful to have a good base of fitness and to do general conditioning routines, if you want to be better at your sport, you need to train specifically for that sport.

• 1 month later...

hmmm, normally those who are great at thick bar, are also good at grippers. Look at Ryan Johnson or Ross Love, both closed the #3 without much set or specific training.

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but without knowing who Ryan Johnson or Ross Love are, I really doubt they were able to close the #3 without any training on grippers. I don't doubt that they did close the #3, I'm just saying I'm sure they trained on the #3 at least for a while. Maybe I misunderstood the post above.

It took John Brookfield, the man known to have some of the strongest hands in the world, a very long time to close the #3. He told me this himself over the phone.

Although I did see Ronnie Coleman come within about 1/4 of an inch from closing the #3. But Ronnie Coleman can deadlift over 900 pounds and he does bentover rows with well over 500 pounds for 10 - 12 reps. It is very difficult to be able to "naturally" close the toughest grippers like the #3 or #4 or higher; that is, without any specific training. The highest gripper I've heard anyone "naturally" crushing is a #2.

• 2 weeks later...

I was refering to the thick bar to grippers strength relation.

But both did close the 3 without much training.

Also Ted Wynn ( TNSED on the board ) closed a 3 first time he touched one. He close a 3.5 after a few weeks training.

• 3 weeks later...

I was refering to the thick bar to grippers strength relation.

But both did close the 3 without much training.

Also Ted Wynn ( TNSED on the board ) closed a 3 first time he touched one. He close a 3.5 after a few weeks training.

Casey, this was some time ago. But do you remember how much gripper work Ryan had done at the time of this video?