What Should I..

Jörmungandr

At my work I meet alot of drivers. If they see my grippers I offer them to test if they want and usually I show em how to do it and what I can do.

So the questions I get all the time is "How strong are you?" and "How strong do your hands need to be to shut that one?" "Can you use that as a spring on a snowmobile?"

My answers so far has been along the lines of "I'm weak." and "According to the manufacturer it's X kgs, not sure how true that is but it's a guideline."

So, what numbers should I use when people ask about the difficulty of a gripper? RGC calibrations maybe? Should I say anything at all?

And does anyone have any witty replies one can use? :)

Strong enough!

Strong enough? Not quite yet... When I can shut the #3 at will I'll use that line. :)

I would tell them that the Grip community has developed an accepted way to test the strength of the grippers called a Gripper Calibrator. Don't call it a redneck gripper calibrator. Once they hear redneck, they will get fixed on that word and miss the rest of what you tell them.

When they ask how strong you have to be, tell them that you have to be strong enough to overcome the dynamic resistance of the spring. It's not a linear strength, it's done over a curve, so it is different from picking something up or doing wrist curls. It takes dynamic hand strength.

Stick with a simple explanation and let them know that it takes time to learn the technique. There is a technique, but it is not a trick.

Hope this helps.