Coc: That Stubborn Last Millimeter.

gollan

Each training session I warm up and then get right to attempting my "challenge number" CoC gripper. Each session the gap gets smaller and smaller. Today on my right hand there was certainly less than 1mm. I was able to hold it in this position long enough to grunt, strain, hell I even farted, but it would not budge and I finally had to let the gripper win yet again.

I know I will close it, probably this week. But that got me wondering. What do my fellow grip enthusiasts do to get past that stubborn last 1mm?

On the surface my answer is "nothing special" in that I'm confident that my training will take me to where I want to go. But I have added special exercises to my training program that I believe will help with that "longest millimeter". In particular I am doing negatives with this gripper and have added "last two" finger exercises. When I first started with the negatives the gripper would spring open like a trap and I lost a lot of flesh off my pinkies every time. Now I can give the gripper a challenge and am able to keep those handles welded together for a second or two before I slowly succumb. For the "last two" fingers I use an inverted gripper to work just my ring and pinkie fingers. I started barely able to close a gripper. Now I am doing reps and sets. Clear progress and it is paying off with my overall crush strength.

What exercises and/or techniques do you use to get past that last little gap? Is it purely physical or do you believe there is a mental component?

Edited by gollan

Guest Harlan Jacobs

How often are you training grippers ? You may try some strap holds with your #2. If you have an Elite, or a #4 you may try doing some negitives with them. Think positive ! It sounds you know you are going to miss before you try. Look at that thing. There is no way it can stop you ! Get it set , and EXPLODE ! Don't squeeze it, mash it !

Keep us posted

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I took for granted that you where working on the #3. If you are working on the #1 or #2 , just use the next hardest one you have for your negitives and the next one down for your strap holds.

Good luck

Try to set the gripper a little higher in yer hand.It might help,& dont use the grippers every workout.It worked for me.The double sledge hammer lift really helped me.

I'm a firm believer in beyond the range overcruches. With a gripper you can currently close for a few reps, file off one of the inside handles about 1/8 inch. Close it for singles, squeezing as hard as you possibly can for about five seconds. If your gripper is too easy for worthwhile singles, go for low reps. Of course, keep doing the negatives as well.

The ultimate last little bit technique......... strapholds.

I would recommend training with a harder gripper. The last mm's is always the worst, because then you know you've almost closed it! I was stuck in range with my #2 for some weeks and It seemed impossible. But one day I finally closed it, it was a suprise for me...

So my tips is to work on a harder gripper and NEVER give up!

I'm having the same problem. I just can't seem to get that last mm. I have filed off the insides of my #1 & #2 and have started working them daily now. The result is I can get to that last mm easier now and I am confident that I'll be touching those handles very soon. I can't wait!

Thank you for all the replies. I don't think I'm stuck, just surprised at the toughness of that last little bit. It's not #3, I'm still a few years (?) away from that milestone.

To answer one question I am training grip three times per week. I changed from two times per week early this year. After an initial adjustment period the three times per week training is working very well for me. KTA... now that I am "on board" with higher frequency grip training I plan to take it up. I am still cautious about increasing my grip training frequency too quickly. I don't want to wear out anything because, well, I use my hands for other things! ;).

Oh, come on people.... the obvious answer is right before your eyes!!! :blink

And the answer is: stop. Yes, you heard me. Give yourself a break now. What you need is REST. Take a few days off. NO GRIPPER TRAINING AT ALL. None whatsoever.

Do the things you've always wanted to do, but haven't had a chance BECAUSE you've been training. Perhaps catching a movie, going to see an old friend, writing that fan letter to Sybersnott :yikes ....

You need a chance to recover. You've probably been going non-stop in your quest for the #3. It will wait. You've trained HARD; enjoy life a little bit. You deserve it! :cool

Oh, come on people.... the obvious answer is right before your eyes!!! :blink

And the answer is: stop. Yes, you heard me. Give yourself a break now. What you need is REST. Take a few days off. NO GRIPPER TRAINING AT ALL. None whatsoever.

Do the things you've always wanted to do, but haven't had a chance BECAUSE you've been training. Perhaps catching a movie, going to see an old friend, writing that fan letter to Sybersnott :yikes ....

You need a chance to recover. You've probably been going non-stop in your quest for the #3. It will wait. You've trained HARD; enjoy life a little bit. You deserve it! :cool

:laugh

Yeah, stop when you are a mm away. Go drink some beers and eat pizza and watch TV.

Drop all grip work until further notice.

:yikes

• Haha 1

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Not everybody likes to train every day. I have found that I do better training twice a week,(on grippers). I will also say,( In snott's defense) that if I am stuck on a weight on say bench press, if I take off my next bench workout, Sometimes I can get a new PR. I know when I was training grippers 6 days per week, I actualy went backwards. But , I am 44 years old. I need more re-coup time than most of you.

Gollan, you said you have tried 2 times per week. I think you said you where doing 3 now. Try 1 time next week say on Monday. Do do strap holds and hard negitives. Just do your negitives from close to 1/4 inch away from close.Don't worry about the rest. Then don't train grip untill the following Monday. Do a couple warm ups, and close it !

Have confidence !

Good luck

Sybersnott

I partialy agree with you about the rest,but only if your cronically

over-trained.

The mind tries to make us chicken out when the going gets tough,so i would say confront the pain,pain is good!!! :D Take on the Adapt or Die principal.

Look what it did for Joe Kinney and ZCOR,they went places they never dreamed of :rock

I think that the Holles,Heath,Pat,David,Jim etc are all very close to the #4 because they have this animal instinct when it comes to training thats why they are the ones pushing the barriers,like Kinney,Sorin,

Brookfield before them,they are also a darn site stronger than most of us,again because I,ve no doubt there iron will to suceed,yes they all

have had rest days,but i dont think they would rest everytime the goin got tough :D

D sorry mate but i think you should at least give the program a sporting chance before making a desition about it not working,abit like

me trying squats for the first time,and because they are hard saying they hurt me knees and not doing them again.

There are a lot of people probably doing a similar setup to KTA,daily training,i no that the Holle brothers are and look were its gotten them so far.

KTA has worked for Zcor,Tou,Wanna,Heath ETC.

It is not just doing it(KTA)you also have the invaluable feedback off of the other KTA,erS,which i would have thought would be invaluable to someone trying to close a tougher gripper.

I,ve no doubt in my mind that a few people on KTA will close the #4

as has been done with the #3.

I also think that anything that can help you get to your grip or training goals is a good thing(not including drugs or cheating etc).

Just my 2 pennies worth :blush

Not everybody likes to train every day. I know when I was training grippers 6 days per week, I actualy went backwards.

The point I was making was he never even went thru the program and yet had all the conclusions.

As far as the 6-day per week thing, you have to be smart about it and keep an open mind. You also have to learn what "backward" truly is.

I suggest you PM 50- year old zcor and ask him about recovery. :)

I am well into my fifties, and am able to train every day. That includes full body workouts and many other routines. Grip is done 6 days a week, Recuperation is something that can be trained and improved on.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

To Wana,Old guy, and all others who train every day or KTA, Good for all of you and I hope all of you contiue to make gains ! But , Everyday training is NOT for everyone. I feel that I do my best gripper training at 2 times per week,hard workouts. Everything else 2 times per week. First workout hard and the second one a bit easy. I have allways trained by how I feel and have done pretty well with it. So I guess what I am trying to say is EXPERIMENT ! What is good for me may not do anything for you. And vise-versa.

Wanna,

I said what I said because he was going nowhere. Maybe he was a bit "overtrained"... I hate to use that word around here.

He's 1 MM away, and it might as well be a mile away. I will stick to what I said. Take a few days off, then start again. That option didn't even enter his mind, which is why I offered it.

BTW, I am one of those unfortunate few who can't train his grip everyday. If I did that, my hands would fall off! :unsure

Edited by Sybersnott

Add me to the list of those who can't train grip everyday, but I do try to keep an open mind, and realise everyone differs in regards to their optimum training style and recuperative ability. That being said, I still give the KTA's basic routine, other than the everyday aspect, much of the credit for my success on the #3.

To Wana,Old guy, and all others who train every day or KTA,  Good for all of you and I hope all of you contiue to make gains !  But , Everyday training is NOT for everyone.  I feel that I do my best gripper training at 2 times per week,hard workouts. Everything else 2 times per week. First workout hard and the second one a bit easy. I have allways trained by how I feel and have done pretty well with it. So I guess what I am trying to say is EXPERIMENT !  What is good for me may not do anything for you. And vise-versa.

I respect that for sure. What I was trying to say is I believe the majority can do it. They just stop short of finding out they can train it every day that's all. :)

I tried it. I couldn't do it.

Two or three times a week is enough for me.

I guess you can push yourself to accept the load, but if you encounter negative progress in your grip training - it's time to change your routine and try something else. :blush