Real Squat Depth

Bill Piche

That's the way to SQUAT!

Ed Coan is my favorite powerlifter of all-time.

To clarify...

The intent of showing these videos is the SQUAT DEPTH and nothing more.

It has nothing to do with the lifter and who they are, what they might take or inject, or how much equipment they have on their body.

That's perfect Bill.  I took a video of myself squatting a little while back to see if what felt deep was actually deep.  I found out I wasn't going deep enough. 

And that's what a real squat should look like, too bad you never see this anymore in PL comps. I have a solution to the depth problem- have the lifters start from the bottom (the bar is resting on the pins inside the rack, or suspended from chains), set bar hight based on the lifter's leg measurement. So long legged lifters have the bar set higher. Problem solved. What do you powerlifters think of this?

Edited by anson

What do you powerlifters think of this?

That's a non-solution in my book, since instead of solving a problem with powerlifting, it simply eliminates powerlifting. By definition, powerlifting is a squat, bench, and deadlift, with the first two having an eccentric phase and the last one having a concentric phase only.

The way to solve the depth problem is to do what Raw Unity is doing. Create a contest and a set of records that require strict judging, make it the most popular and prestigious contest out there, so that lifters are forced to make a choice: either perform the lifts correctly or fade into obscurity. When something is ignored long enough, it withers and dies. That is why I don't participate in geared meets, discuss them, or even acknowledge their existence in any contributory way. I treat them like they don't exist and hope that one day the world conforms to my treatment of it.

Edited by The Natural

So here is what is more typical today for squat depth. Compare Coan and some of these squats for depth. I would have BOMBED out of every freaking meet when I competed if I squatted to the depth they are in this video. And, that's a fact.

What do you powerlifters think of this?

That's a non-solution in my book, since instead of solving a problem with powerlifting, it simply eliminates powerlifting. By definition, powerlifting is a squat, bench, and deadlift, with the first two having an eccentric phase and the last one having a concentric phase only.

The way to solve the depth problem is to do what Raw Unity is doing. Create a contest and a set of records that require strict judging, make it the most popular and prestigious contest out there, so that lifters are forced to make a choice: either perform the lifts correctly or fade into obscurity. When something is ignored long enough, it withers and dies. That is why I don't participate in geared meets, discuss them, or even acknowledge their existence in any contributory way. I treat them like they don't exist and hope that one day the world conforms to my treatment of it.

Bottom position squatting still has an eccentric phase, it just comes after the concentric. Either way the concentric part of the lift is what's limiting, you just wouldn't be able to lift quite as much starting from the bottom due to no stretch reflex. Seems like a safer way to squat max weights to me.

So here is what is more typical today for squat depth. Compare Coan and some of these squats for depth. I would have BOMBED out of every freaking meet when I competed if I squatted to the depth they are in this video. And, that's a fact.

I would have felt like I had BOMBED at life if I ever entered a meet that allowed equipment like that.

Here is a guy from Serbia, my neighbour country. He is going deeeep but he does a good morning also. It's a interesting fight with the weight :)

And that's what a real squat should look like, too bad you never see this anymore in PL comps. I have a solution to the depth problem- have the lifters start from the bottom (the bar is resting on the pins inside the rack, or suspended from chains), set bar hight based on the lifter's leg measurement. So long legged lifters have the bar set higher. Problem solved. What do you powerlifters think of this?

You still see strict judging in the IPF and the IPF affiliate USAPL.

I would have felt like I had BOMBED at life if I ever entered a meet that allowed equipment like that.

I would feel like I BOMBED at life if I had to stick illegal substances in my body in order to lift a weight.

That is the definition of PATHETIC... :whistel

It has nothing to do with the lifter and who they are, what they might take or inject, or how much equipment they have on their body.

If the owner of the Gripboard can type this, I think my post should conform to the mods standards. What ever they may be.

I would feel like I BOMBED at life if I had to stick illegal substances in my body in order to lift a weight

In fairness to him, I don't think they were illegal back then, but I may be wrong.

If you mean he cheated sometimes, yes, he has admitted that, but I'm with Bill here in that it doesn't really pertain to the depth and quality of his squats.

Bill, I think I wasn't clear enough when I made my comment. With canvas suits, it is impossible to go deep on a squat. They are not designed to allow it. The suit literally stops you around borderline parallel if you have enough weight on the bar, and if not, it stops you well before that point. So yes, I feel it's bad to wear equipment that prevents even the possibility of doing a legit squat. IPF gear still lets you sink as low as you want.

Edited by The Natural