Best Rep Range To Develop Strength As Well As Muscle?

maestco

I pick a compound like bench, deadlift, squat, etc. and do 5/3/1 or 5x5 for strength first in the workout. Then I use higher reps in the 8-12 range for hypertrophy for the accessory exercises like dumbell incline, curls, pullups, etc. Of course you'll need to experiment to find the rep/set range that works best for you but this has worked well for me.

An example for chest:

Pec Deck-2x15, quick pushups to get the elbows nice and warmed up (warmup/pre-exhaust)

Bench-5/3/1

DB Incline-2x10

Flat DB Flyes-2x12

Of course you can mix and match any exercises in there you want but I do a compound movement first for strength then the hypertrophy after. I always warm up real well before the heavy lifts to warm up the joints and get plenty of blood flowing to the muscle before hitting them hard and heavy.

for benchpress maybe 5er reps are never wrong, 5 - 8 sets ?

of course, you have to love very havy sets with 1, 2 and 3 reps too.

... but, what are the "best" for the rolling thunder? i would like to know.

Edited by unequipped

Pick your maximum effort exercise for the day. Work up to a true 1-3 rep max. Then go over to the hypertrophy-work, focusing on weak areas. Aim for a high intensity, that is short rest, 3-5 sets, 6-12 reps / set depending on exercise and muscle being worked.

Basic WSB set-up. Works like a charm for both strength and hypertrophy. Make sure to switch your max effort exercise very often but do exercises that come close to the actual lift that you´re trying to increase.

Edited by JohanB

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it. When I began training for powerlifting again my blood pressure jacked back up through the roof, so I had to get the cardio back in and drop some more weight.

Since the end of May I have been experimenting with super slow eccentrics. I lower the weight to a 5 count, then blast it up. I do 2 sets of 8-12 per body part with 1-1.5 minutes rest at the max. So, it is kind of like a HIT routine as far as minimum amount of work. The 4th exercise for the bodypart I do FST-7. I am also consuming a MAX of 60 carbs per day via 1/2 cup of oatmeal at 4:30 am and 6 am. Some days I only eat 30 grams.

I am also riding my bike hard. Up to 800 calories a clip with 2 recovery rides a week.

At any rate, I am losing fat. My weight belt is 2 holes in and my work pants belt is in another hole. My face has also leaned up a lot.

However, I am still hovering around 228-230.

The best part is my shoulders were so wrecked before doing this that 60 pound dumbbells were too much for me to press. I was lucky if I could get 8 good reps before my shoulders shut down. Today I decided to test how the super slow was helping and did 100 pound dumbbells for 9 strict reps on the flat bench db press. Friday I did 80 pound dumbbells for 9 in the overhead shoulder press.

My blood pressure is once again getting under control, this time WITHOUT the meds.

Huge improvements.

Bottom line: If you arent training towards a particular contest, then give it a try. At first you will be pretty weak, but then the muscle and strength comes in remarkable waves. I have PR'd every week now since starting in May.