Attaining A Goal On Higher Rep Squats

Bill Piche

I know there is a 400x20 challenge on the board. This is probably related as with 20's you can get to trying to grind out gains if approached with traditional progression.

This is a discussion on the 10 rep range. Normally, I have found that if you work towards say a 10 rep PR that coming at it in normal traditional progression from increasing weight while say keeping 10 rep sets is not the best approach. An idea I have is to do one workout of 5 rep sets with a weight ABOVE the weight you will be using in the next 10 rep squat workout. Alternate. The 5 repper is more of a lighter squat workout too. But, say 30-50lbs higher weight as you cycle up to a new PR in the 10 rep set. The key point here is a nervous system stimulation before the rep set.

I also thought about the idea of doing a sub-max but higher weight SINGLE as a warmup. Then, you back down for your work set of 10 reps. The idea being the higher weight will stimulate the nervous system and make the 10 rep weight feel "light".

I'd like to hear what types of strategies that have been effective out there. Again, the goal is a new 10 rep squat PR.

One thing that's worked for me is to load on a weight that will allow you to hit let's say 5 reps. The next workout try to do 6 reps, next workout 7 reps, etc. The goal being to increase by one rep per workout. Sometimes you can increase by 2 reps and sometimes you can't increase at all but more often than not you can gain at least 1 rep per workout. It's good motivation to hit PR's every time you're in the gym. Even if you don't go up a rep I've never done less reps than the last workout so at least you're matching your PR with that weight. I've usually done this in the 6-10 range using a 5 week cycle. At the end of the 5 week cycle I'll max out with the weight and usually exceed the reps I was aiming for. Then either increase the weight and start another cycle or go with a different routine.

This is just one thing I've done to vary my workouts. You can use any rep range you want too. I've put on good size as well using this in the 8-12 range.

I also thought about the idea of doing a sub-max but higher weight SINGLE as a warmup. Then, you back down for your work set of 10 reps. The idea being the higher weight will stimulate the nervous system and make the 10 rep weight feel "light".

I just recently started doing 20 rep squats. I have been warming up to a single heavier by about 25-35 pounds than what my 20 rep set is gonna be. I also have been doing heavy quarter squats after my set. First ten reps always feel light and fast for me.

I'm no expert but I have been hitting the iron for 23 years now. I would try this Bill. Figure out what you can do 10 reps with. Try to squat more reps next time, say 3 or 4 days later. When you can get your reps to say 14 with that weight then add some more weight that will bring you back down to the 9 or 10 rep range. Then work you way back to 14 again. And repeat. Try to squat every 3 or 4 days. If you miss some time just go back a couple pounds and pick back up. Oh and drink 1/2 gallon milk a day at least.

Warm up

1 set of squats (give 100%)

1 grip exersize (give 100%) choose from thick bar, pinching, or grippers

1/2 gallon milk everyday

Squat every 3 or 4 days

Parris

I've used a similar approach to what Parris describes for Squats and DL's many times. Work up to 14 -15 reps and then for the next workout add enough weight that you can only get 7 - 8 reps. Repeat for as long as you continue to make gains. I've had better success using this strategy on Squats than I've had with the DL's.

Have any of you guys ever tried doing Squats every day or every other day? What kind of results did you have?

I improved my 20RM by increasing my 1RM, using a lot of singles and triples. Every 14 days I would do a set of 10.

There are a million ways to skin a cat.

I like a cycle like this:

Week 1: work up to a top set of 10 on day 1, on day 2 do 5 sets of doubles with a decent weight well above the 10s weight.

Week 2: Do a 20 rep set with about 70-75% of your current 1 rm, a 10 rep set with 60%, a 10 rep set with 50%, a 20 rep set with 40% on day 1, on day 2 work up to a max single or double.

Week 3: do a breathing set of 50-85 reps with 135-185 on day 1, day 2 do 5 sets of doubles with say 90%.

Week 4: 10 sets of 10 with 50% day 1, day 2 max single or triple

Week 5: top set of 10, new PR.

I know that is a crazy amount of work and will most likely make you puke, but this just about the only way you can shock the body and get out of the typical "i am scared to do a lot of reps" metality that so many people have.

On another note, I was in MI for the last week or so and I had to train at a Powerhouse. Besides me, only 1 other guy was doing squats. He was a huge bodybuilder (well, huge upper body!) and was doing triples with 185 in the smith machine.

The fitness industry has died.