Bench Press Advice

tselegala

Does anybody have any idea how to increase strength at the bottom? My lock out is decent but i'm having trouble chest to mid-range. Dumbells are limited at my gym (125 max)...

I find weighted dips a brilliant exercise for the bench press.

Also a McDonald bar is great for the start of the press.

Power rack bench starting at chest height is also recommended.

Best of luck Alexis !!

Does anybody have any idea how to increase strength at the bottom? My lock out is decent but i'm having trouble chest to mid-range. Dumbells are limited at my gym (125 max)...

What is your bench press? For incline DB bench, 125's should be adequate for all but the strongest pressers. Incline DB is a great accessory for the bench. Do something like 3x15 or 5x10 with good strict form on each rep. A 400 pound bencher would get by with 100's, I think. 125's for high reps would be adequate for even really big benchers (450 and up).

I would follow Chris's advice and do some pause benches using the power rack. I have done these with good success as a main movement. I set the pins so that the bar was very close to the chest when in the paused position. I did 3x5 but in retrospect 5x3 would be better.

Simple pause benches without a power rack, merely pausing for a full second on a chest, before exploding up, would be a good accessory to regular benches.

Paused bench of some variety combined with dumbbell work for the chest should help you smash through that sticking point.

Without having a clue about what your technique looks like, I´m gonna say this. Lats, lats, lats!

Your lats are heavily involved in the drive from the chest, get them as big and strong as possible and your bench will go up.

Behind-the-Neck Presses worked wonders for me when I was working to strengthen that initial drive off the chest in the Bench Press. Lots of people will tell you to avoid that movement because it will damage your shoulders - but I haven't found that to be the case at all.

Awesome tips guys!! I really apreciate it! Every single post is great so far!

Rex: I have always neglegted my bench press so i maxed recently at 335, with a flat bench i do the 125's in the 10+ rep range and i was under the impression that was just bodybuilding, i did not try them inclined though...maybe i'm not going deep enough? I'll pay attention to that next time.

A friend of mine suggested to widen my grip, i usually have my pinkie on the rings and i'm 6'2"...

In my limited experience, I was always under the impression that lats were primarily pulling muscles. How much do lats contribute in pressing movements? I've heard lats are important in dips, but was skeptical of this claim.

In my limited experience, I was always under the impression that lats were primarily pulling muscles. How much do lats contribute in pressing movements? I've heard lats are important in dips, but was skeptical of this claim.

Because lats provide a strong base to bench from. The more surface area situated on that bench the better. Plus they help the starting phase on the bench.

Work your setup, get tight, deep breath and hold it, develop a decent arch, bring the bar to the same spot for each press. Pinkies on the rings is fine, you can mess with it if you want, go to ring or middle on the rings but pinkies isn't terribly narrow. Buy your own adjustable dumbells and bring them to the gym, I did that for a while. Lots of reps on dbs will definitely work but I like heavier weight myself.

Since you're 6'2" you could gain 100lbs, that or just work your deadlift cause really benching is for wussies.