Form On The Military Press

Mun

Hi I just had a quick question, I was doing military press today and usually I keep the form very strict and lift the weight up straight in the air but slightly infront of my head, today however the poundage was just a bit too much for me to do that strict bodybuilding style lift infront of my head so I ended up pushing the bar basically directly above my head and locking out there. Is that ok? or should the bar be infront of my head more? Thanks all.

No need to keep it in front of your head, after it clears the top of your head the bar goes back a bit so that its straight over your shoulders. The added weight of slightly looser form is important to making you stronger, one thing you could do is keep track of completely strict reps (whatever your definition) and reps with slightly looser form.

As long as you don't press rocks over your head (which you may want to look at to keep them from hitting your head if you lose them)actually the BB should travel to a point over the head as soon as it moves over hair level. This way the press is more efficient as it trains more of the smaller shoulder muscles, increasing stability in the shoulder region, as well as allowing more weight to be moved for more muscular/strength development.

Also the pressing in front of the head at overhead level increases the lower back strain enormously, not a good region to injure...