Back To Pullin'

Rick Walker

Begining my "cycle" for PA States. Wendler's 5/3/1 week 1 is 3 sets of 5, but on the 3rd set do as many as you can.

Hit a nice 460 x10 today. Considering I havent pulled like this in a LONG time, I am happy with it. Great way to kick off the training cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBhIATgRr2s

Begining my "cycle" for PA States. Wendler's 5/3/1 week 1 is 3 sets of 5, but on the 3rd set do as many as you can.

Hit a nice 460 x10 today. Considering I havent pulled like this in a LONG time, I am happy with it. Great way to kick off the training cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBhIATgRr2s

I'll be following this thread...I hope you update it often.

LOL, 460x10 is your untrained baseline level of strength? Damn.

Yes. However, I have been squatting a lot the last few months (20s and some strenght work) with a closer stance and we both know how much that carries over. About 4 weeks ago I started pulling, did 450 x5, x5 sumo with no belt. This was my first official workout pulling in a long time. Then my wife had our twins 3/24 and training stopped for 3 weeks. Sporadically the past year (due to several circumstances) I have pulled, never going over 435 for 5s.

I am subscribing to the less = more this time around due to lack of time and most importantly SLEEP. Kind of the opposite of what you are doing, but with my limited sleep and time, I have to do what I can. I have to just keep reminding myself that the first time I pulled 700 I was only working with 525 for 5s in my cycle.

-Rick

crap! ... I didn't know you were that freakin strong!blink.gif

crap! ... I didn't know you were that freakin strong!

:laugh Thanks Paul!

Hope to get MUCH stronger by the meet.

Nice job. My brother recently got me into powerlifting and put me on the 5/3/1 and my results have been unreal been doing it now for about 4 months now and this is probably going to sound pretty far fetched but I have put 100 lbs on my main 4 lifts military press, squat, deadlift and bench. If you've never done this program before your really missing out. I know my gains have alot to do with just starting out but still its pretty amazing.

Nice! Hope your meet goes well. A lot of PLs and strongman competitors are using 5/3/1 with great success now. I encourage everyone to give it a try, you won't be sorry.

Thanks everyone!

Funny, only my traps are sore today from the shrugs, the rest of my back is good to go. :yikes

It feels good to be motivated again. I haven't trained with any real zest in a LONG LONG time. I think I found my passion again... :rock

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

Funny, only my traps are sore today from the shrugs, the rest of my back is good to go. :yikes

It feels good to be motivated again. I haven't trained with any real zest in a LONG LONG time. I think I found my passion again... :rock

As a former lurker here, I became conditioned a while back to hear the Rocky soundtrack in my head anytime I saw a video or a post featuring Rick Walker, not Eye of the Tiger, but the symphonic song. My power-lifting will re-start today after several months off, which will compliment the KTA I am doing. Goals, passion, zest, real, authentic = Rick Walker.

Here is a portion of one of my recent KTA posts, which was in response to a suggestion by a fellow KTAer that I get the Kinney video for Rocky type inspiration:

"The Rocky movies, especially 1 and 2, are easily my favorite all time movies. Rudy and Cinderella Man are also up there. I saw on ESPN Classic that Stallone got the idea for Rocky after he saw Ali fight a comparatively nonathletic type boxer, can't recall the guy's name, a white guy, a boxer. The guy should not have been inside the ring with Ali but he was still standing at the end, even knocked Ali down during one of the middle rounds. I watched the fight on ESPN Classic, believe it was '74 or '75 when the actual fight took place, but maybe a year or two before....

There are Rocky type people in everyday life, some are on this board I bet, been lurking on here on and off a while, Rick Walker still around....No doubt about him."

Thanks Rick for posting that. -Greg Martin