Things You Believe But Can't Prove

The Natural

Some years ago prominent scientists and intellectuals were asked to provide things they believe very strongly but cannot prove.

I was thinking that a similar question would be interesting to ask here.

What is something that you believe about strength training but cannot prove? In other words, what's something that you believe much more strongly than the evidence warrants.

Well I don't know if this is true or not but if you had one injured arm or leg and you worked the other it could make the injured one stronger it is supposedly called bi-lateral transfer. Has anyone else heard of this.

Well I don't know if this is true or not but if you had one injured arm or leg and you worked the other it could make the injured one stronger it is supposedly called bi-lateral transfer. Has anyone else heard of this.

Your body will do everything possible to maintain balance - but if you work hard enough at it - you can mess it up.

Your body will do everything possible to maintain balance - but if you work hard enough at it - you can mess it up.

That's an example of something that nobody could believe too strongly. That's as certain as it gets.

Right now, 5,000 calories is not enough to mess up my homeostasis. I've guzzled a pound of pureed liquid chicken today, a weight gainer shake, six eggs, toast, salmon, spinach, and a roast beef sandwich, and tomorrow I'm going to weigh the same as I did today. That "if you word hard enough at it" is the important part.

EDIT: also, two ice cream sandwiches and a second weight gainer

Edited by The Natural

I'll add two.

I believe that overall, powerlifters are stronger than weightlifters.

I also believe that bodybuilding-style training is better for upper body strength than powerlifting style training.

I cannot prove either.

Dips are favored only by people who suck at benching. Really, dips hurt my shoulders worse than benching ever did.

Regarding weight gain, one of my best accomplishments was gaining 20 pounds during 2 a day football practices in highschool. My lunch included either a box of poptarts or 5 mcdonalds hamburgers, plus some milk. That was my secret. Part tarts make you super swole.

Oh yeah, my second best weight gain spurt was after I met my wife. Being force fed till bursting by inlaws twice a week, plus drinking 12+ beers 3-4x/week was the most anabolic thing I ever did.

I believe squats are a better overall movement than deadlifts when training for full body strength.

I also believe that chest flyes are the most useless movement in existance.

Flys have at least one use. How we regard said use might be another story.

I believe that central fatigue plays a GIGANTIC role in training and recovery efficacy. This might be something considered common knowledge to the typical meathead (especially of the WSBB ilk) but its not supported nearly as strongly in the research, if at all.

Concentration curls, done as Arnold prescribed will peak your biceps.

Blockweights are the Crossfit of grip.

Some people are just not designed to do certain lifts (at an intense level) and should leave well-enough alone rather than trying to retrofit themselves to the lift by correcting "weaknesses", "imbalances", and "increasing flexibility"

Concentration curls, done as Arnold prescribed will peak your biceps.

Blockweights are the Crossfit of grip.

Some people are just not designed to do certain lifts (at an intense level) and should leave well-enough alone rather than trying to retrofit themselves to the lift by correcting "weaknesses", "imbalances", and "increasing flexibility"

X 2 on the third one. Not every is built for everything I will add most injuries I am hired to rehab were guys exceeding thier structure.

Just because some is good foryou does not make it good for me

I will add bands make pulling and pressing better, but I can prove that

Edited by SSGGLASS

I believe that overall, powerlifters are stronger than weightlifters.

In the US, yes. Overall though I think they are the same. A 5 lift event RAW I think the results would be very close between the best PLers and best oly lifters in the world.

Mine - every man is biologically capable (at some point in their life)of hitting 300-400-500 (or a 1200 total) in the powerlifts. Only exceptions would be for serious injury, extremely abnormal hormone profile, or naturally having a frame of about 100lbs as an adult. Everyone else could gain enough weight or put in enough time with the right coaching. Of course that's ideal, I'm still working on my 600 lb dl :)

Squatting will improve your grip.

rico

Squatting will improve your grip.

rico

You're a cautious man, rico, because I would readily count that as proven.

Guest Bullitt

Squats cure cancer. I can't prove it, but I do know that they really help your deadlift and even your bench press. And if they can help with those, I see no reason to question the claims of their great healing powers.

Picturing your muscles working during exercise will engage them more thoroughly and have them develop better.

Picturing your muscles working during exercise will engage them more thoroughly and have them develop better.

My muscles are small and weak looking - how about I picture someone big and strong? :)

Guest Bullitt

Most injuries in the gym don't come from using too much weight, but from lack of concentration. I can't think of one injury I have ever had because of lifting heavy or training too hard. I can think of several I have gotten from not thinking or breaking concentration. Bending over to pick up a plate with a rounded back, not concentrating on form during a lighter set, tripping over something... Hell, I have hurt my back sneezing more often than heavy lifting. :rolleyes:laugh