Starting Out With Sledge Levering

secretest

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so I hope I don't break any rules..

Anyway, I have started getting into grip work just recently. I started out with CoC's, T/1/2 as per the usual recommendations. I am making progress on that front just doing what I feel like. I can inconsistently close the 2 now in my right hand, and in my left I can close the 1 a few times but its clearly behind the right.

Anyway, to the point of the post - I also just acquired an 8lb sledge hammer. I started doing the basic levering (front, back, side to side, based on what i saw at gripfaq). I can do a few sets of 5-10 (depending on the position and on how choked up I am) through the full range of motion, but i am pretty choked up on the handle. Is that what I should be doing in the beginning? or should I choke up less and do less complete reps (kind of like trying to close a gripper you cant quite get, etc). Just wondering what is more proven to work (especially in the beginning stages), and what you guys' experiences have taught you , specifically with levering.

Edited by secretest

for wrist work I get better results when I alternate higher volume and higher intensity. in other words do the reps one workout and do singles the other workout. that's what seems to work for me any way.

Unless I understood incorrectly, he's asking about doing partials on the levering. I'd say no.. why? It's so easy to scale the difficulty with a sledge... just grab it further up or further down the handle in order to get the desired number of reps. At least I've never heard of anyone doing partials with a sledge lever.

Unless I understood incorrectly, he's asking about doing partials on the levering. I'd say no.. why? It's so easy to scale the difficulty with a sledge... just grab it further up or further down the handle in order to get the desired number of reps. At least I've never heard of anyone doing partials with a sledge lever.

exactly right, that is what i was asking about. I have basically been doing as you described. I guess I will keep doing it that way unless I feel like I am not making progress. If that happens I would re-evaluate my strategy.

Any other info/advice (emphasis on the advice :) ) on levering would be great as well. Seems there are some knowledgeable people around these forums.

I wouldn't not(double negative there) recommend partials because I have never tried them, but I don't think they would work as well as what I and others have used. I have levered a 22lb hammer and a 20 several times. What I did to train specifically for the heavy lever to nose was to take a 20lb hammer and choke up on it. As others have described, I just moved my hand down the handle gradually and put marks on the handle to mark my progress. I also tape, clamp, stick on with magnets, etc, more weight to lighter hammers so that I can increase the weight gradually.

It may seem odd to train both choked heavy levers and loaded lighter hammers, but the combo seems to work for me. They hit the wrists and arms in a slightly different way.

I also kept going on the side-to-side levers, front levers, back levers, etc.

It depends on what you are trying to get out of the sledge work. All the different range of motion movements (front, back side to side)are great for building overall wrist strength.

If you are trying to get better at levering to your nose, i find sets of 1 are the best. What i do is 5 sets of 1 during the day. making sure it is atleast 1/2 hour between reps.

That works pretty good for me.

So if i was in your position i would find a comfortable spot on the handle mark it and then do you 5 sets of 1 at that spot. If you think you can move your hand down the handle a little bit the next day, go for it. Then once you are at the end of the handle it is time to add weight, and keep moving along like that.

You can move your hand down every day (even if its just 1/2") or hold that position for a week. Thats up to you. Then take a day or two off and start again.

Does this help at all, i don;t want to bore you. I could keep explaining some of the different cycles i have been experimenting with if your are interested, just let me know

NO MATTER WHAT TRAINING YOU DO . WHAT WE FOUND OUT IS BY GOING PAST YOUR HEAD TO YOUR SHOLDER MADE THE NOSE THING EASIER AND THE MORE FLEXABLE YOUR WRIST IS. THE BETTER YOU WILL BE WHEN YOUR WEIGHT GETS HEAVER

Diesel crew (jedd johnson) has a e book that will help you out if your interested. He is a sponser too!

rico

Get an 8 pound hammer. Keep it handy at work or home. Do one or two sets til failure every day, all the way down to your head and back up. Somes days you will go down, other days you will hit a PR. Just keep at it.

When you get to 20 reps, slide the handle through the hole in a 2.5 pound plate and clamp the plate down. Now work up again to 20 reps.

When you have done that, you will be the one being asked for advice.

Get an 8 pound hammer. Keep it handy at work or home. Do one or two sets til failure every day, all the way down to your head and back up. Somes days you will go down, other days you will hit a PR. Just keep at it.

When you get to 20 reps, slide the handle through the hole in a 2.5 pound plate and clamp the plate down. Now work up again to 20 reps.

When you have done that, you will be the one being asked for advice.

Progressive resistance and adaptation at it's best.

Good advice Rex! ;)