An Open Plea For Sorin/rich/tex

Bob Lipinski

For easy reference, this has been up on my website for quite a few years. Agreed upon by most promoters of US contests, and when applicable, directly lifted from the British/European rules:

----------------------------------------------------

General Competition Guidelines

A competition recognized by US Handstrength should follow these general guidelines:

1. More than three events in the contest.

2. Over half of the events must be from the generalized list of grip lifts, and all events must have a strong emphasis on hand strength. The contest must test at least three of the following categories of handstrength- Wrist strength, Crushing, Supporting, and Pinching. Competitions which do not meet above criteria may be approved through a vote by current promoters.

3. Competent and objective judging must be present.

4. No hook grip allowed.

5. Standard gym chalk allowed- No rosin, tacky, spray grip, etc.

6. No straps or wrist wraps allowed.

7. No more than 4 attempts allowed per event.

8. Each attempt can consist of a no longer than one minute period where the lifters may make as many attempts to lift the weight as they choose. This does not apply to timed events.

9. The competition should be announced at least 1 month in advance and open to the public.

Recognized Grip Feats

Note- The following feats are the most generally recognized and popularly accepted. As other feats become popular or regularly used, the event list will be accordingly updated.

1. Crushing

-Hand Grippers- No set, Credit card set, or Parallel Set.

2. Supporting

-Olympic bar deadlift/hold (one or two handed)

-One Hand Dumbell Deadlift, Clean, or Snatch

-Revolving Handle lifts

-Double Overhand Deadlift

-Vertical Bar lifts (1" diameter is the usual standard)

-Ring lifts

-Hercules Hold

-Farmers Walk

4. Leverage lifts

-Brick Lifts

-Short Steel Bending (Bars under 7" of length)- Regular, Double Underhand, European style

-Sledgehammer Leverage

8. Pinch Lifts

-Plate pinching, 1 and two handed

-Hub Lifts

-Block lifts (various manufactured implements)

-Block weight lifts

Single Event Contests:

Single event contests are recognized. These events can help promote grip sports by being attached to larger events such as strongman competitions or powerlifting meets. All rules (besides # and type of events) are applicable, and records for these contests will be held seperately.

Rules of Performance:

Grippers

1. For no set closes, the gripper must be picked up and closed with no involvement from the non-closing hand. For set closes, the non-closing hand can aid in "setting" the gripper until the handles are parallel- Any contact further than this and the attempt will be declared "no good". For credit card closes, the judge will insert a credit card between the handles, and give a command to "start" when the gripper is at the correct position. The non-closing hand may contact the gripper until the "start" command is given. For choker closes, the gripper is put in a choker before the event at the distance which the handles are parallel to each other. The non-closing hand may contact the gripper until the athlete starts the event.

2. The gripper must be closed so that the bottom of the handles are clearly touching.

3. The gripper may not be closed in an "inverted" fashion.

4. The forearm of the closing hand may not contact any other object or part of the body during the close.

2 Hand Pinch

1. The lift will start with apparatus in front of the lifter and on the ground.

2. The lifter must grab the top of the plates using an overhand pinch grip with no more than 3" between the index fingers, and lift until the loading bar makes contact with a predetermined height marker. To count as a US record or qualifying lift, the loading bar inserted into a recognized adjustable pinch setup must touch a marker 16.5" off the ground. If the loading bar misses the height marker, the referee may use their discretion to ascern whether or not legal height was attained.

3. The implement must be lowered under control after the lift is completed. This is defined as the athlete maintaining their grip on the apparatus while lowering the weight.

4. The plates used for weight must be shorter than that of the pinch apparatus. In addition, spacers between the apparatus and loaded weight must be of equal weight and length. Both sides must be loaded equally. The heaviest weights shall be loaded closest to the pinch apparatus. For a lift to count as a US record or qualifier, one side cannot be loaded over 1kg more than the other side.

Vertical Bar, 1 or 2 inch

1. The lift will start with apparatus in front of the lifter and on the ground.

2. The lifter will grab the bar and lift so that the bottom of the plates (on the lowest end if there is tilt) will be at least 2 inches above the ground. The judge will call the lift after it is completed.

3. No more than 2" of bar can be showing above where the lifter grabs the bar.

4. The non lifting hand can be braced against the body, but may not touch the lifting arm. The lifting hand may not touch any part of the body.

5. The implement must be lowered under control after the lift is completed.

Double Overhand Thick Bar Deadlift

1. The lifter will approach the bar with the bar in front of him.

2. The lifter will stand to a fully erect position with knees locked. The judge will give the lifter a "down" signal when the lifter acheives the finished position.

3. The bar may not be rested on the thighs in order to regrip or support the weight.

4.The implement must be lowered under control after the lift is completed.

Short Steel Bending

Freestyle http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/FREESTYLEbending.html

Reverse http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/reversestylebending.html

Leverage to head

1. The lifter will grab an implement with at least a 31" handle length, not counting the weight, with the little finger at bottom of the handle.

2. The lifter will start the lift with the lifting arm parallel to the ground, and the implement perpendicular to the ground.

3. The lifter will lower the implement until the handle is at least at a 45 degree angle to the ground, as viewed from the side. At this point, the judge will say "lift", and the hammer will be raised to a position perpendicular to the floor.

4. The non-lifting arm may not contact the lifting arm or implement. The implement may contact the side of the head, if such contact does not make the lift easier.

5. The lifter may not move his arm from the parallel position. The arm may be strapped down to a parallel surface; this is encouraged.

For grip lifting events not specified:

1. The lifter will approach the bar with the bar in front of him. For one handed lifts, the bar may be on the side of the lifter.

2. The lifter will stand to a fully erect position with knees locked, or to another predetermined height. The judge will give the lifter a "down" signal when the lifter acheives the finished position.

3. For one handed events, the lifting hand should not be braced against a leg in order to aid the lift. The non lifting hand can be braced against the body, but may not touch the lifting arm.

4. The implement must be lowered under control after the lift is completed.

I'm gonna keep nudging the US guys along until one of them grabs the reins...

Re Chris: I told him as much last week in his log. £10.00 membership, then ass down to a competition - job done.

Big Steve, i will send money to you in Gloucester if that is alright.

The Natural,

I'm sorry if i came out wrong , i'm not trying to claim the record or anything , iwas trying to reinforce what Mobs was saying.

I only put the vids up because a lot of people have asked me too, including my son.

ITwas a great comp at the Arnold and brought grip on 1000% but i do think it was geared toward "big handed" individuals and a more rounded "Mighty Mitts" comp would include a crushing event, pinch event and a one hand deadlift event on a normal size bar(perhaps going for Goerners record and push the more historical side for the audience)giving the normal man a chance and the fan's can appreciate it more because they have all tried a normal handle.

Arthur SAxon pinch grip snatch lift is also pleasing to the eye, with the one hand lift they could lift on a platform with the weight in the form of people (looks more impressive to the layman).

They are just some ideas, we could hold a poll to decide or whatever.

Hubgeezer,

Thanks for the support mate.

Bob Lipinski,

I agree bro , and i just like to say i think you look very good in a bikini (on your avatar) !!!!

Sorry for the rant guys , my doctor just increased my Lithium (seriously)and i'm abit skewif at the mo !!

I tried prior to the Arnold's to get in touch with Chris with no reply, hopefully, communications will improve so he may be considered for next years contest . Is there a video of the 507 I think as per the Grip board rules you have to have video to be able to discuss or claim "world class" lifts I certainly think 507 in light of established records is certainly a great lift and world class.I have seen in training double overhand lifts prior to the Arnolds on the popular IM Appolons Axle smooth bar in excess of 238.5 K so 230k is certainly a tremendous lift.

Each year forward we want to have the very best at grip represented at Mighty Mitts so......

as Jim Lorimer lead organizer of the Arnold's always says "Next years Arnold's preparation starts the day after this one is over"RS

I tried prior to the Arnold's to get in touch with Chris with no reply, hopefully, communications will improve so he may be considered for next years contest . Is there a video of the 507 I think as per the Grip board rules you have to have video to be able to discuss or claim "world class" lifts I certainly think 507 in light of established records is certainly a great lift and world class.I have seen in training double overhand lifts prior to the Arnolds on the popular IM Appolons Axle smooth bar in excess of 238.5 K so 230k is certainly a tremendous lift.

Each year forward we want to have the very best at grip represented at Mighty Mitts so......

as Jim Lorimer lead organizer of the Arnold's always says "Next years Arnold's preparation starts the day after this one is over"RS

Here is one with 500lbs. Not a IM axle but still, badass.

http://http://www.yo...feature=related

Here is his son's channel where a few more videos are posted.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SlayerMetallica1#p/u/3/ji5G8NJgvUA

Thanks guys for the help, i'm hopeless at things like this.

Thankyou Mr Sorin.

Big Steve yes Bi polar mate.

Sorta "bi strong" as well :)

In reply to Jed's question, Yes we still have the calibrated weights and about 3 times the equipment as in past years. The Summer Strong #3 will have a grip contest of some sort, all the better if Jed, Chris, Zach, or BoB might lend their efforts to make it special. I am open to suggestions. Thanks RS

Thanks guys for the help, i'm hopeless at things like this.

Thankyou Mr Sorin.

Big Steve yes Bi polar mate.

Ok. I know a couple of people with it. My daughter's aunt has it bad and it's left her zonked out until they get the dose right.

One thing that will make it special is having an impartial judge brought in. I recommend Dr. Eric Milfeld from Dallas-Forth Worth. Jonathan Creason from North Carolina also is ruthlessly unbiased.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't benn posting lately business has been jumping and my son's wedding was this past weekend. Some really strong atendees! As soon as he(bert) returns Monday we will start putting together Summer Strong #3. As I said I would welcome a grip contest to be part of the show. An axle lift, grippers medly, anvil horn lift plate pinch etc. I have heard from a couple having interest in putting it on .I have some rel coll new grip tools that will be used or on display as well. I will be easier to contact now. Thanks Date is June 26 2010.

I've got a real good vid of Rich doing that axle lift. If you guys are interested I'll post it up. Only reason I havent posted vids is I don't have YouTube channel yet.

Sorry I haven't benn posting lately business has been jumping and my son's wedding was this past weekend. Some really strong atendees! As soon as he(bert) returns Monday we will start putting together Summer Strong #3. As I said I would welcome a grip contest to be part of the show. An axle lift, grippers medly, anvil horn lift plate pinch etc. I have heard from a couple having interest in putting it on .I have some rel coll new grip tools that will be used or on display as well. I will be easier to contact now. Thanks Date is June 26 2010.

Already in my plans to be down and I think Zach will be coming along as well.

I will indeed. Already have off work.

I will indeed. Already have off work.

I think that my roommate and I will be headed down as well.

I told my wife I wanted to go to this .... she didn't object ....

I really wish I could go. My work/daycare situation is crazy right now. I plan on flying to the GGC and Sorinex and all sorts of goofy places when I get things in order in the next few years.

Wish I could get my father in law into grip, he put the whole family in line and flew me all over the world to help with his bench press stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Summer strong#3 is getting closer and in spite of a whirlwind of activity lately we are moving forward. I would like the grip event to be small but official as possible. Any interested in competing running the event (judging, recording etc) just let me know (we have a huge amount of on hand grip equipment and warmup items, and all plates have been calibrated and marked). As in years past there will be many other strength related activities going on ,lots to look at and try, certifications (if coordinated with Dr. Strossen), and a great meal following the days events. RS

Im gonna try to convince Rinderle to come down with me....might even try for a cert if I hit my grippers hard enough between now and them.