Best Overall Lift

rednail300

what do you guys consider to be ultimate lift for overall strength and power, if you only could pick one?

Cheers!

what do you guys consider to be ultimate lift for overall strength and power, if you only could pick one?

Cheers!

That's a tough one man... Has to be a core lift bench,squat,deadlift. I love bench press, so there's my vote :tongue

strength and power? Power involving speedxstrength.

I would have to say either a C&J or Snatch. Those are both impressive as heck at the highest level with more carry over than a lot of the static lifts to other sport performance. But then again...what do i know.

The word "power" pushes the answer away from the power lifts (that wording, while correct, doesn't work out well) and towards the Olympic lifts. I would have to say clean and jerk if I was only allowed one exercise.

clean & jerk of an apollons axle. double overhand-grip, no good weightlifting style.

one-hand-snatching of the inchdumbbell.

Easy..the deadlift.

-It's the one you can lift the most with raw so it's the one that develops the most strength period.

-When do you snatch, bench or squat something in real life...never! When do you deadlift? often. so...

''theres no reason to live if you cant deadlift'' - JPS

Edited by alexis

I agree with Alexis. Deadlift. There is no dynamic component or stretch reflex that assists with the lift. Total body strength is involved, and it is a very simple, objective movement to evaluate. (weight goes up, or weight stays put!).

I'm a big fan of the other lifts too, especially Olympic lifts. There's just too much of a dynamic or athletic component to them to be called a true measure of strength.

For raw strength the deadlift is second to NONE. For overall power I like of the classic C & J or perhaps the db snatch (no bilateral deficit). Just my 2 cents.

Deadlift with Trap Bar.

Safer on the lower back than conventional DL.

I remember when I was younger, I had quit lifting when I hit 315lb on the bench. I had a lot to learn then but didn't know it.

Rico

Power = Work divided by seconds.

Using this formula - the "power lifts" (bench - squat, and DL) compare very poorly to the Olympic lifts. Strength is another animal entirely. So I would guess you will need two different answers here - one for strength and one for power. The introduction of speed of execution or time changes everything in the calculations.

Power = Work divided by seconds.

Using this formula - the "power lifts" (bench - squat, and DL) compare very poorly to the Olympic lifts. Strength is another animal entirely. So I would guess you will need two different answers here - one for strength and one for power. The introduction of speed of execution or time changes everything in the calculations.

Magnus samualson states in his video "worlds strongest arms" that speed is the only substitute for weight. If that gives anyone any ideas when lifting

Rico

Deadlift ,in my opinion, is the best overall lift cause it involves a lot of muscle groups, plus the grip strength :D.

• 4 weeks later...

Muscleups or hang snatch/overhead squat if you can count that last one as one lift. Sorry if muscleups don't belong here, I haven't been on the gripboard in a couple years.

Anyone c+j the inch db yet?

I don't get too caught up in the "one best lift" arguement. They're all beneficial if performed correctly, and they all complement each other in various ways. If all you want to do is one lift, then that's fine, you can certainly make some good gains, but what fun would that be?

The deadlift had the most profound effect on all of my other lifts after I started to train it reguarly. I noticed a pretty decent increase across the board.

• 2 weeks later...