Heavy Stiff Leg Dead Race, Anyone?

John Beatty

I'm planning to get back to a set of 495 x 5 stiffs. Haven't done over 405 in years. I do these off a box, down till I touch the arch of my feet. Anyone else?

I'm planning to get back to a set of 495 x 5 stiffs. Haven't done over 405 in years. I do these off a box, down till I touch the arch of my feet. Anyone else?

Silence... can you hear a pin drop?

John, you're a beast

What is your setup like for when you can't make the last rep for whatever reason? Or do you just use such a light weight(reletively speaking of course) and low reps, that failure wouldn't be much of an issue?

I have done these the way you describe on several occasions but if I didn't make a rep, the bar was coming down right on the balls of my feet. As you can imagine, I was worried about that. I was forced to use much lighter weight than I normally would.

Zach-

I usually work up in weight, currently 315 x 8, 365 x 5, 405 x 5. Will work up to 365 x 5, 445 x 5, 495 x 5, in time, of course. As to failing, I use straps on stiffs, and am usually pretty clear on the prior rep if another will go or not, so if I feel like I'm done, I just end with that rep. Usually failure comes about mid-shin, so if it's going down, I just swing it forward a little to clear my toes. Never hit yet (as I knock on wood).

to heavy for me...i never do these...what am i missing? I do stiff leg good mornings though.

because i competed in powerlifting (now just bench pressing) and because i did a lot of stiff legged deadlift i suggest you 2 things for increase your best (periodization apart):

-do your s.l.d. with a snatch grip:i never see this in every gym i came across but the increase in range of motion is huge and tha gain also

-do your s.l.d. without touching the floor:this means that for every rep you try to don't touch the floor but stop just 1 inch over it

i hope this help you like helped me one years ago when i prepared for a deadlift only competition.

Well i gave this a try and it feels ok i guess but not VERY different than a regular deadlift...but then again i hardly use my legs enough in my regular deadlifts. i managed to pull 405 x 3 after my regular deads but it was not off a box though. I gonna try the wider grip like antonio suggested.