Anyone Have A Good Deadlift Program

BigJan85

I was thinking of starting the Russian DL program again but that would probably be too much volume for me right now as I just started getting heavy into kettlebell training and I don't really want to give that up right now. I was just looking for a good once a week program that has worked for you guys in the past. Thanks in advance.

I only like to pull every three weeks, so even once a week is too much for me. You might try just squatting more and doing some bodybuilding type upper back work on the weeks you don't pull.

strange as it sounds, I do one set of five a week. I have seen good growth and recovery on this approach.

Different things work for different people at different phases in their progression. For example, I consciously decided to ignore advice I read and heard because doing reps (even low) on the deadlift had me stagnating badly. Also, I had no gains by not deadlifting too often and replacing it with something else so… I’ve been maxing on the deadlift every monday since I began the 550 race last fall…I took about 3 weeks off in December (doing squats instead) and started the same thing again in January…it may seem crazy but heck it’s working for me…so far, I gained 65lbs on my dead this way, I PR’d almost every time. But I really don’t do many reps..a few light warm ups and then max…and then rest for a week with a lot of stretching and sauna…I do the same for my bench and although the gains are less significant they are still present. I don’t know how long this wave will last but it has lasted waaaaaaaaay longer than many would have predicted. I’ve only just started deadlifting recently and the gains are probably a result of balancing out the weak links and training the CNS.

So basically I don’t have much to offer except if I were you, I would test different ideas (pyramid, max, alternating, rack pulls I dunno)…your other training (kettlebell) already makes you different than many others so what works for them may not for you because of this.

This is from an article from critical bench written by Mike Westerdal & Ben Tatar:

“First we have guy A- This guy desires a big bench press and he has a lot of work ethic. He benches twice a week and trains all of his muscle groups twice a week. He trains for two hours every single day and he seems to know his stuff about training and he has an amazing work ethic. Not only that, but he does interesting exercises. He can be seen using skull crushers with chains, JM presses, kettle bells and all kinds of fancy training methods. He also does lots of cardio and he tries to be the best at everything.

Then we have guy B- This guy also desires a bigger bench press. He only does 3 sets of bench pressing and two different intense assistance exercises and then he is done. He gets plenty of rest between workouts, between sets and eats a lot.

Guy A, looks at guy B as if he is lazy and that he doesn’t work hard. Guy B looks at guy A as if he is brain washed and confused by all the information out there. Well guess what?

Guy A is only benching 300lbs and guy B is benching 500lbs and they have the same genetics. Why is this? It’s because guy B is training “for a bigger bench press” and he continues to see progress. Guy A is frustrated and all the information that he is applying and the more work that he is applying is just confusing him.”

• 2 weeks later...

look to the site below,there are a lot of oldschool american cycles that you can use...if you want to train one time a week the deadlift they are the best.

http://ironsport.dk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=297