Gripboard Member Andy Ruse Setting 3 Prs At Raw Unity Meet!

Guest Bullitt

I enjoyed competing against Andy. He is a very strong guy and also very nice. He's one to keep an eye on at future meets.

I enjoyed competing against Andy. He is a very strong guy and also very nice. He's one to keep an eye on at future meets.

How did Andy place overall?

Rex, How did you place overall also?

Did I see right? Was Andy deadlifting in Vibrams? Cool! :rock

Very strong fellow!! He could progress quickly with grip feats if he trained for them!

How did Andy place overall?

Rex, How did you place overall also?

I actually don't know either my own Wilks score or Andy's Wilks score, but I would assume he bested me, given about a 25 pound bodyweight difference and a total that differed by about 50 pounds. I placed second in my weight class, but they were also using Wilks to determine the best lifter from the 275, 308, and SHW classes. I have no idea where I stand relative to the others.

I think Andy actually uses a hook grip. Still, dang impressive!!!

Yeah, this is one of those recurrent errors on the GB that really leaves me scratching my head. I can't figure out how it persists.

Some facts for the uninitiated:

1) Double overhand grip is more often than not a hook grip. If the weight is very heavy, you can be sure that it's a hook grip.

2) A hook grip, once you learn it, is not any harder than a reverse grip. It all depends on the lifter's preferences.

Great job Andy. :bow

And btw does anyone knows how much is the record for DO deadlift?

Probably Misha's 894 (hook).

Great job Andy. :bow

And btw does anyone knows how much is the record for DO deadlift?

Probably Misha's 894 (hook).

One of the Gillingham brothers did 880 at the last Arnold, I think. If we're talking pure grip strength here then the more impressive is the record for a DO with no hook, for which the highest I've heard of is Wade's 600.

Very nice lifting!

You can see why Andy can raw squat like that. Check out the quad development.

Way to go Andy!!! :rock:rock:rock

BIG lifting, Andy! Congrats!

Both you and Rex represented very well!

Thanks, guys! The compliments are all very nice. I had numerous injuries this year and was really pleased to be able to complete the meet without hurting myself again and still come away with 3 PRs.

It was a pleasure meeting you at the meet and chatting. You're a nice guy, too. :) You did an awesome job lifting, as well!

Did I see right? Was Andy deadlifting in Vibrams? Cool! :rock

Very strong fellow!! He could progress quickly with grip feats if he trained for them!

Yup, I love my Vibrams. Except for the fact that I have to wash them constantly because they smell like a week old dead rat after wearing them a few days.

Unfortunately, I have a pretty weak grip in my left hand following multiple elbow surgeries this year. That's why I switched to the hook grip for deadlifts. I have a hard time holding on to them with a mixed grip.

Andy, I don't know where you live, but where I live it's always sunny, so I just let my Vibrams sun-dry after I workout (yes, they end up really sweaty as I seem to sweat more than 99% of the human population, lol) and it really helps making them not smell too bad, so I don't have to wash 'em weekly.

Your elbow didn't seem to bother you for that big bench! :rock